2 other A-levels when applying for English Lit Watch

Aramiss18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm currently studying English Lit, Biology and chemistry at A2. I want to apply to a university like York or Warwick for 2010 entry (taking a gap year) but i'm worried that doing 2 science subjects will let down my application. Do you think this will be the case?
ninety_nine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't imagine it would, but I'd advise making your fourth subject a closely linked arts subject like History, Classics, Government & Politics etc.
Aramiss18
Rep:
?
(Original post by ninety_nine)
I wouldn't imagine it would, but I'd advise making your fourth subject a closely linked arts subject like History, Classics, Government & Politics etc.
Im already doing A2 so its far too late for that. But thanks anyway.
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Aramiss18)
Im already doing A2 so its far too late for that. But thanks anyway.
Ah right, I misunderstood what you wrote. Well you shouldn't worry, Biology and Chemistry are very respected A-levels, and show you can handle different types of intellectually challenging work.
Chris#1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Possibly, but as long as you achieve highly, especially in English, I doubt it will matter.
Issy/Bella
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
:O that's what i'm doing next year.
and i like warwick too.

i don't think it will, it shows UNIs how diverse you are.
it's a good thing.
=D

x
sazzle7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't imagine so at all, they're both very traditional and academic subjects which are highly respected. And it shows well-roundedness! If anything I'd say it would be a benefit, providing you have the necessary high grade in English Literature: it would make you stand out!
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What do you have at AS? If it's an arts subject I think you'll be ok. Just demonstrate your interest in literature, or language if that's the case.
Aramiss18
Rep:
?
(Original post by inksplodge)
What do you have at AS? If it's an arts subject I think you'll be ok. Just demonstrate your interest in literature, or language if that's the case.
unfortunately a D in physics. I really want to study literature but picked the wrong subjects because i did want to do medicine:mad:
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
unfortunately a D in physics. I really want to study literature but picked the wrong subjects because i did want to do medicine:mad:
If you want to apply to Warwick you're going to need a B in an AS subject. Can you pick one up in your gap year?
Aramiss18
Rep:
?
(Original post by inksplodge)
If you want to apply to Warwick you're going to need a B in an AS subject. Can you pick one up in your gap year?
Grr I knew that ****** physics would come back to haunt me :banghead: I guess I'll have a look into it. Thanks for pointing that out though
perfectimperfection
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm currently studying English Lit, Biology and chemistry at A2. I want to apply to a university like York or Warwick for 2010 entry (taking a gap year) but i'm worried that doing 2 science subjects will let down my application. Do you think this will be the case?

Currently York want a modern foreign language at atleast AS level. Don't know if that will change for 2010 entry. For other uni's the subjects should be ok though
polka_dott
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Grr I knew that ****** physics would come back to haunt me :banghead: I guess I'll have a look into it. Thanks for pointing that out though
I think a lot of top 10 universities are like that I'm afraid - they like a B at AS at least especially for something competitive like English... maybe if you revise very well for one exam you didn't do well in that is worth a lot (is out of say 120) it could be pushed up to a low B?
lucykinzz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think some places like you to have a language when applying for lit but i dont think you'll be hugely disadvantaged. chemistry and biology are academic subjects, so i wouldnt worry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?