Turn on thread page Beta

New iPhone OS 3.0 Features watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So Apple had a preview event for their new OS 3.0 for the Apple iPhone they are adding lots of new stuff like cut and past and MMS, check out the article http://bit.ly/7K8OD

do you think they missed anything out? I really wanted Adobe flash on the phone and am kinda pissed they didn't add it. Let me know what you think

ReputationRep:
    People are jizzing their pants over it but to be honest no one would bat an eyelid if a new Sony/Nokia phone was announced with cut+paste, MMS or full Bluetooth support because, well, all phones usually have this as standard!

Flash would have been cool, but last I heard, it's complicated and they are still working on it.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that adobe has made an application of flash that works with any mobile phone, however other major brands like nokia and sonyericson will have them built into their new phones however Apple is the only company who don't want it on their phones or are not it a hurry to start talks with adobe.

ReputationRep:
    With bluetooth functionality and MMS, I think I'm ready to get one. It'll make a change from my N95 8GB.

ReputationRep:
    I have the current iphone 3G, will i have to upgrade the actual phone if i want this OS? Sorry im such a techno noob

Also, did they add video recording facility?

ReputationRep:
    flash is the only thing that is needed for the iPhone.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, the current iPhone 3G will simply need a FREE software upgrade, while the iPod Touch need to pay some 9.99$

ReputationRep:
    Wow the iPhone can't do video? Perhaps I'll stick with my iPhone 3.0

I was wondering to myself whether Apple deliberately omitted features so that they can release updates, forcing users to update to aid them in the tackling of piracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origin of the pancake)
    I have the current iphone 3G, will i have to upgrade the actual phone if i want this OS? Sorry im such a techno noob

Also, did they add video recording facility?
    You should be able to download it onto a current Iphone from iTunes i believe.

The updates are just what it should of had in the first place, i still want one though, I don't know if to wait till a whole new phone comes out though.

ReputationRep:
    I have the current iphone 3G, (1)will i have to upgrade the actual phone if i want this OS? Sorry im such a techno noob

(2)Also, did they add video recording facility?
    1. No

2. No. But if you jailbreak your phone you can download a video recording app from Cydia.

And now to comment on the new OS: Most of these features are available via jailbreaking, but it's nice to know that there's going to be official versions of everything available. Too bad about Flash really though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rummang)
    1. No

2. No. But if you jailbreak your phone you can download a video recording app from Cydia.

And now to comment on the new OS: Most of these features are available via jailbreaking, but it's nice to know that there's going to be official versions of everything available. Too bad about Flash really though.
    Ah thats good then.

I dont really get jailbreaking my iphone. Im worried it'd get like a virusy thing :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ah thats good then.

I dont really get jailbreaking my iphone. Im worried it'd get like a virusy thing :confused:
    Nah, there's no harm in jailbreaking your iPhone, despite what Apple say.

ReputationRep:
    Ah thats good then.

You wouldn't get a 'virus'. It's been declared illegal now, bad times. When did that stop us anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of the features in the update are for 3G only which kinda sucks...Like MMS, why would they make that exclusive to the 3G??!! I hope the bluetooth pairing is included in the 2G's update..I can't believe it's taken them 2 years since the initial release to notice all this stuff! but anyways, we're getting new features wohooo

ReputationRep:
    wow. the third version of the iPhone finally has all the features that most phones have had for ages. My phone (K800i) does all that stuff already.

Well done for finally making your device up-to-date, apple..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    wow. the third version of the iPhone finally has all the features that most phones have had for ages. My phone (K800i) does all that stuff already.

Well done for finally making your device up-to-date, apple..
    Your phone doesn't have an app store though :awesome:

does anyone have an idea when it will be available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubble123)
    I heard summer this year.

Do you reckon a new iPhone will be released with it too? I wonder will o2 let existing customers upgrade for £100/£150

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubble123)
    The apple website just says "summer"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    I heard summer this year.

Do you reckon a new iPhone will be released with it too? I wonder will o2 let existing customers upgrade for £100/£150
    Yes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 15, 2009
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.