Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think the human rights act has positively affected the English legal system? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do you think it has impacted English law?

It was not needed to secure any genuine civil liberties citizens and foreigners domiciled here should enjoy against the state and each other they did not already have under common and statute law prior to its enactment.

Moreover, it has given the authorities power to impose many quite unnecessary and undesirable restrictions on liberty, especially in relation to freedom of expression, without producing any discernible net benefit as a result.

Personally I think the way the Act is working at the moment is manifestly an abuse of common sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raoul Duke)
    It was not needed to secure any genuine civil liberties citizens and foreigners domiciled here should enjoy against the state and each other they did not already have under common and statute law prior to its enactment.
    False. Look at the occasions where declarations of incompatibility have been made and acted upon. If it wasn't for the HRA, they'd simply have been ignored.

Moreover, it has given the authorities power to impose many quite unnecessary and undesirable restrictions on liberty, especially in relation to freedom of expression, without producing any discernible net benefit as a result.
    Lost me there.

Yes and no. Protection of rights is a good thing, but one only needs look at the current state of liberty in Britain to recognise the Act's (at least partially) lame duck nature. It has also given Labour the ability to respond to any challenges to their more odious schemes with the statement that they were the ones to enshrine human rights into law in the first place, which, while slimy, unfortunately does serve to convince the proles more often than not.

ReputationRep:
    No. It's clogged up the courts with crap cases that have very little to do with Human Rights as most reasonable people would think of it.

The only positive effect it has had is on the balance sheets of undeserving barrister's chambers.

Where is this human rights act when it comes to so many cases of civil liberty in the UK?

- The right to do drugs
    - The right to hunt foxes
    - The right to smoke where you want
    - The right to use a prostitute
    - Freedom of speech
    - Working against positive discrimination

And so on and so forth. The ideal of a Human Rights Act is a good one: it just isn't working as it should.

Personally I'd like to see some kind of UK constitution and Supreme court, independant of the EU (and without the supreme court being elected by the executive obviously, or leglislature for that matter.)

This constitution would be ammendable, but difficult to ammend and it would (hopefully) properly uphold traditional liberal values, and have ten times the backbone of this Human Rights Act.

(For the record if you're wondering "why bother, just make this existing Act better" - I want a constitution because it's just so much cooler.)

ReputationRep:
    I think there have been a few notable situations in which the human rights act has been used that perhaps wouldn't have happened without it - prisoners and compensation and radical muslim clerics inciting hatred and(just recently encouraging donations to jihadists) not being deported.

But on the whole, I think it has been an improvement.

(Original post by tis_me_lord)
    The ideal of a Human Rights Act is a good one: it just isn't working as it should.
    This.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.