What are the chances of me getting into Oxford Uni?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Godmaster
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Like the way the forums goin, lots of posts.

Yeah just a general thought needed, just finished White Hart Lane School in North London and studyin for A levels. Plannin to apply for Oxford or Cambridge

1. Should I bother?
2. Which 1 is more advisable for law/political sciences?

Secondly, I am studying English Literature, Maths, History and Politics for A Level (hopefully 4A2's)

What sort of uni course would give me a better chance of bein accepted with these subjects?
PS feel free to ask ne questions if u need the answers to make a good judgement and B HONEST

Live life to the Limit
Hello!
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
What did u get at GCSE?
Godmaster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hello!)
What did u get at GCSE?
I got 11 A* and 1 A Grade

Live life to the limit
Hello!
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Godmaster)
I got 11 A* and 1 A Grade

Live life to the limit
well go for it then - you never know! Just do loads of research about courses colleges on the web and with prospectuses and give it a go
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Take part in a lot of extra-curricular activities since they look really good on your personal statement. Also, visit loads of universities and get their prospectuses.
Godmaster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hello!)
well go for it then - you never know! Just do loads of research about courses colleges on the web and with prospectuses and give it a go
cheerz

i wasnt v confident about this whole oxbridge idea, i didnt think i was gonna get near nething wot i got at GCSE and y arent a levels as hard as they told me they were? (eg; 50x jump from GCSE). I know maths is hard for me coz i dnt understand the work, but then agen, i didnt understand it at GCSE either, just learnt the methods and got the work dne, even remember writing 'im sorry for the examiner who has to mark this cos its my work is like a spider crawlin over paper' lol

NEWAYZ would ne1 care to give some advice bout A Levels and possibily uni application? Im doin AS's now
Godmaster
Rep:
?
(Original post by jediknight007)
Take part in a lot of extra-curricular activities since they look really good on your personal statement. Also, visit loads of universities and get their prospectuses.
1. Oh yea im Turkish btw, Turkish Cypriot, from a not so well of backround family
2. Do the top Unis accept Turkish A Level as well coz i got that already
3. I present on Turkish Radio, does that count as an Extra Curricular thing?

Live Life to the Limit
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
1. Oh yea im Turkish btw, Turkish Cypriot, from a not so well of backround family

Live Life to the Limit
1. Well, it would be unfair if they rejected you for that
2. Quite useful if you are doing languages
3. Yea! That's good!
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hi

I would say go for it - you have a good chance. If its Oxford you're interested in you could study Law, PPE or history and politics. I don't know about Cambridge too well but I think there is Law or the SPS tripos. Check out online prospectuses: http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk and http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/ugprospectus
Good luck!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Yeah just a general thought needed, just finished White Hart Lane School in North London and studyin for A levels. Plannin to apply for Oxford or Cambridge

1. Should I bother?

Secondly, I am studying English Literature, Maths, History and Politics for A Level (hopefully 4A2's)

What sort of uni course would give me a better chance of bein accepted with these subjects?
PS feel free to ask ne questions if u need the answers to make a good judgement and B HONEST

Live life to the Limit
You got a better chance than MJG.
Unregistereda
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

1. Should I bother?

Live life to the Limit
You may as well have a go, theres a far better chance of you getting in if you actually apply then if you dont!
Course wise, they're both about the same at law, excellent, but watch out for the workload.
As for politics, Oxford's reputation is quite a bit better here, but it really depends what subject you want to study it with too. At Oxford you have to do either history and politics or PPE, at Cambridge its SPS which is I think sociology and psychology too (anyone help me out here?).
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

1. Should I bother?

Live life to the Limit
where are you doing A Levels?
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
haha snap; me too ;p
Godmaster
Rep:
?
(Original post by kikzen)
haha snap; me too ;p
u go there now u or lower 6?
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
u6
Godmaster
Rep:
?
u6
seen :-p ru a science man or an artist? :-p
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
science, of course.

oh and about oxford with 11A* you should do fine at A Level, and get in easy (well.. maybe)
Weasel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Live Life to the Limit
1. That will probably give you the edge over most other applicants.
2. Won't do any harm. The more you got the better. Plus if you speak more than one language then of course it's a big bonus.
3. Yes that'll be good for extra-curricular activities.
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
if you can manage 11A* with 1 night revision, well... damn.....

i doubt you can take anything early. woodhouse are kinda **** about things like that ; even to take external exams, the deadline has passed.
edexcel, i think, took away limits on how many times you can resit, so you can go as many times as you want (for maths, at least).
Godmaster
Rep:
?
if you can manage 11A* with 1 night revision, well... damn.....

i doubt you can take anything early. woodhouse are kinda **** about things like that ; even to take external exams, the deadline has passed.
edexcel, i think, took away limits on how many times you can resit, so you can go as many times as you want (for maths, at least).
arent they in jan? surely if i suggested to pay for the expenses? no? help!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (480)
51.72%
No (448)
48.28%

Watched Threads