The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
NoHands
yes, wind makes flags flutter vertically. couldt teh pole be bending slightly and bounging up and down.

but meh, believe your conspiracy theories. it wont change my life :rolleyes:

Well, the pole shouldn't be bending because it would've been a useless one since its main purpose was to keep the flag straight. I think you'd understand more if you saw the picture in the link I sent and compared it to the Mythbusters video...
Reply 41
Jingers
Well, the pole shouldn't be bending because it would've been a useless one since its main purpose was to keep the flag straight. I think you'd understand more if you saw the picture in the link I sent and compared it to the Mythbusters video...

change bending for flexing, also mythbusteres did not replicate it 100% but the concept was proven. all it takes for the flag to flutter vertically is an astronaut to touch it etc...
Reply 42
NoHands
change bending for flexing, also mythbusteres did not replicate it 100% but the concept was proven. all it takes for the flag to flutter vertically is an astronaut to touch it etc...

Let's just agree to disagree as I feel we're both just going around in circles...
Jingers

The pole that extended to make the flag stand out straight got jammed which is why the flag isn't totally unfurled. That's the reason they were fiddling with it for so long. I know a jammed pole isn't exactly an exciting explanation, but you'll have to just accept it if you're ever going to get over the conspiracy crap. Sometimes it is a simple answer and not a 40 year old conspiracy!

NoHands is right, the Mythbusters proved that the flag will move about in a vacuum. To replicate the video 100% would require them to fly to the moon and move exactly like they did in real life. That's a bit excessive when the proof of concept can be done in a nice lab on Earth.
Reply 44
i dunno they might have just faked it...even tho i really hope im wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending