Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi - does anyone know how you can get teaching experience? During sixth Form and beyond? Thanks :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    What are you good at? Find someone who would hire you for private tutoring of whatever you are good at.
    Many families wouldn't mind hiring College students to tutor their kids, although the pay is not high at all, or maybe you would even offer it for free if you really need the experience.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I would contact local schools and ask them tbh. You might need to do it a while before you plan to do the experience, as they will have to do CRB checks I expect, which can take a few weeks to come through

ReputationRep:
    Tutor GCSE students in your free time. Earns you some pocket money and it's good experience to start off with!
    Being a mentor at a summer kids camp is also good experience.

ReputationRep:
    I did summer camp, a summer school, taught in a sports centre and volunteered as a TA.

ReputationRep:
    Tutoring's always good, or see if there are any volunteering schemes with kids in your area. I used to tutor english and maths and helped with the school's reading schemes. http://www.do-it.org.uk/ is good for finding out about volunteering opportunities in you area.

ReputationRep:
    Just write to the schools, thats what i did and got offers from 7 schools and colleges

ReputationRep:
    Apply for a support role within a school. I'm currently working as a teaching assistant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powersymphonia)
    Apply for a support role within a school. I'm currently working as a teaching assistant.
    Snap! Are you enjoying it? I've only just started and I love it but very tiring!

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking for TA jobs. I had one interview at a secondary school but stupidly let on I was going to do a PGCE, so although the interview went really well I was not offered the job - they don't want someone who isn't going to stick around. Now I've applied for a post in a primary school, but this time I'm thinking of concealing my future plans...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undiscovered)
    I've been looking for TA jobs. I had one interview at a secondary school but stupidly let on I was going to do a PGCE, so although the interview went really well I was not offered the job - they don't want someone who isn't going to stick around. Now I've applied for a post in a primary school, but this time I'm thinking of concealing my future plans...
    I've had to keep it quiet about my future plans although my current contract is temporary until the end of August with a review to stay so not too bad.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I told my school that I was going to be doing a PGCE and they seemed fine with it. If it's a temporary contract then it shouldn't be too bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    I told my school that I was going to be doing a PGCE and they seemed fine with it. If it's a temporary contract then it shouldn't be too bad
    Yep. I will be telling them sooner rather than later that I am definitely going to Uni so they can start looking for a replacement.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I was told that you need to give your notice by the half term in the summer term, but as a courtesy it would be better to tell them sooner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    I was told that you need to give your notice by the half term in the summer term, but as a courtesy it would be better to tell them sooner
    It's a months notice according to my contract but I won't be leaving it until the end of June to tell them. My contract ends on August 31st but I'll be letting them know May time I would think.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I've seen TA job advertised they've always stated a need for NVQs, so have never applied =S

To get work experience I wrote to a lot of schools. I only got a reply from 2, which I was quite surprised at. I believe if I had phoned I may have got a better response as then they're forced to reply to you rather than just putting your letter aside and forget about it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by brak3n)
    Whenever I've seen TA job advertised they've always stated a need for NVQs, so have never applied =S

To get work experience I wrote to a lot of schools. I only got a reply from 2, which I was quite surprised at. I believe if I had phoned I may have got a better response as then they're forced to reply to you rather than just putting your letter aside and forget about it.
    Some of them do, but I found quite a few that didn't. You could always phone up and check with the school

ReputationRep:
    Before I started my first degree, which was primary teaching with English, I phoned up my local schools and some were quite happy to give me some work experience. I'm planning on applying for a PGCE in the Autumn so I managed to get a place on the uni's SAS (student associate scheme) and managed to get 3 weeks in a local secondary school.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.