HPV vaccine Watch

username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Everyone is hailing this as this new amazing vaccine which will stop the 2 main strands of cervical cancers (what Jade Goody has incidentally), right?

However, the NHS is only offering it to girls aged up to 18. What about those who are older!? Ie, 19, ie, most of us on TSR. Aren't we just
missing out? Are we less suseptable to cervical cancer? No. And fair enough the NHS can't afford to vacinate the whole female population (actually, not fair enough considering our taxes but that's another issue... :p:), they can't afford it for all. BUT, there's a gulf of 7 years between 18 and 25 - the NHS does not provide smear testing for under 25s. However, the vast majority of over 18s are sexually active. Loads of other countries start at 18; There are countries that start earlier; Australia at 18, Germany and Greece at 20.
Also, I thought maybe the vaccine would be cut price on the NHS to those over 18/under 25, who want it privately. But no. The cheapest price I could find was around £300, privately. Not everyone can afford that, and why should we!? NHS is funded by our taxes! (Sorry, digression).
My point is; don;t you think the NHS should offer either smear testing younger, or the HPV vaccine untill women are old enough to have the smear test? Rather then there being women in the 7 yr gap who are at risk. Think Jade Goody; she's only 27!
cactus kid :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I agree, i looked into this as well and found out i was too old to get the jag by about 3 months, some of my friends will get it as they're a few months younger than me, i didnt think it was fair at all. Also looked into paying for it and found it cost £90 each for the 3 jags, i just don't have the money.
Mr Snips
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not been researched how long the vaccine lasts.

The UK also opted the for cheaper of the two vaccines (Cervarix), whereas the other (Gardasil) is also shown to protect against genital warts.

Just thought you'd like to know :awesome:
nolongerhearthemusic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Other countries are offering the 'catch up' vaccine much older than 18. I think the main issue is with cost, which sucks.

From this article about smear tests

"A Department of Health spokesman said cervical cancer was extremely rare in under 25s while changes in the cervix were common – which could lead to misdiagnosis and more unnecessary tests."

So that's why... but it is weird that so many other countries do them much younger. Are they trying to save money here as well?
dob86
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Jade Goody is the exception to the rule. Cervical Cancer normally has a latent period of 10-12 years from infection of person with HPV. This means the vast majority of women would not show signs of atypical cells until at least 25.

It would therefore be a waste of resources to smear thousands of young women to a test that they wouldn't need and very unlikely to yield anything. Not to mention the stress and embarrassment for the woman to take a test, that they may not need.

It sounds callous but it means there is the inevitable few people who slip through the net early and have cancer before testing is available.

As for the vaccine I'm not so sure whether it is therapeutic or not, so I don't know if it would kill a virus that has already been contracted. Most women have these viruses, passed on at early intercourse.

I think we should worry about outreaching to the current eligible population for smear testing. Unfortunately the most at risks groups are the most likely not to be tested.

In your case, I would try not be worried about cervical cancer, but just be on the look out for symptoms, and do something if you have them.
dob86
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In addition to above, you're more likely to die in an accident/poisoning than from any type of cancer, let alone cervical. Hope that morbid statistic makes you feel better http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1337
username196545
Rep:
?
(Original post by dob86)
In addition to above, you're more likely to die in an accident/poisoning than from any type of cancer, let alone cervical. Hope that morbid statistic makes you feel better http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1337

Lol that doesn't really change the point though!
Dissey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Agreed.
dob86
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
Lol that doesn't really change the point though!
It's my warped way of making you feel better!
Cocoa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
personally i don't want it because until some big pharmaceutical company came out with it there was hardly any talk about it
i suppose i am a little skeptical when it comes to vaccines and the like - but doesn't it seem like they're using us as guinea pigs; I'd rather risk my chances than in 15 years find out that it has some crazy side effects when it comes to having children and all that
username196545
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cocoa)
personally i don't want it because until some big pharmaceutical company came out with it there was hardly any talk about it
i suppose i am a little skeptical when it comes to vaccines and the like - but doesn't it seem like they're using us as guinea pigs; I'd rather risk my chances than in 15 years find out that it has some crazy side effects when it comes to having children and all that
I think if there were serious risks tbh it wouldn't be used.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The real scandal is why the DoH chose Cervarix instead of Gardasil, which not only protects against more strains of cervical cancer, and more uncommon cancers, e.g. anal and penile, but more importantly also against most genital warts (and could thus be used in men too). Bloody cost cutters can't do a bit of long term planning and realise that if they'd invested in Gardasil they'd have far less cases of genital warts to deal with.
username196545
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
The real scandal is why the DoH chose Cervarix instead of Gardasil, which not only protects against more strains of cervical cancer, and more uncommon cancers, e.g. anal and penile, but more importantly also against most genital warts (and could thus be used in men too). Bloody cost cutters can't do a bit of long term planning and realise that if they'd invested in Gardasil they'd have far less cases of genital warts to deal with.

Genital warts are kinda harmless though aren;t they?
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah we've got the cheap vaccine, which is stupid. Having the vaccine doesn't make us 100% immune though, still gotta have the smears done. Meh. I'm having my first vaccine next week. I wish they'd make one available to older people as well though, I mean I think you can still have it if you pay, but it's silly.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Genital warts are kinda harmless though aren;t they?
They won't kill you as such (even though they've been linked to certain cancers), but they can inflame, feel itchy and bleed. And they look disgusting and take up NHS time and resources. Far better to vaccinate as a preventative measure.
vander Beth
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think if there were serious risks tbh it wouldn't be used.
There was something that came out with the Gardasil that I was reading. Apparently some people react very badly to it. Can't find the artcile or the report right now.

Some are saying that long term effects aren't well known or that it hasn't been studied enough at all.

There was a large uproar when they tried to make it mandatory here. Some the people wanted there to be more research into it. Some thought it would encourage sexual promiscuity. Some were just your regular anti-vacciners.

As for your OP, yes I do agree that they should offer pap smears to younger women.
username196545
Rep:
?
(Original post by Redpanda91)
Yeah we've got the cheap vaccine, which is stupid. Having the vaccine doesn't make us 100% immune though, still gotta have the smears done. Meh. I'm having my first vaccine next week. I wish they'd make one available to older people as well though, I mean I think you can still have it if you pay, but it's silly.
At least you're getting it! :p:
I'm just condemned.
Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We have the best health service in the world, you can't argue with that. Unfortunately, money doesn't grow on trees and there are thousands of other illnesses that need tests, vaccines and drugs; therefore we have to prioritise things, and as it happens, cervical cancer isn't a huge problem and money and resources can be better spent on developing/administrating other vaccines/drugs/tests etc.

I just love it when people complain about things in the UK when we are lucky enough to be blessed with some of the best services the world has to offer.
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't be so up yourself "Holly Maria" you don't pay taxes, and how many 19 year olds die from this?

The NHS shouldn't be held to what everyone wants as a minimum standard this would open floodgates and force them to take precautions against any possible affliction that could affect anyone of us

Urgh been drinking since 6pm going to bed, quote me if you want me to reply
username196545
Rep:
?
(Original post by a_t)
Don't be so up yourself "Holly Maria" you don't pay taxes, and how many 19 year olds die from this?

The NHS shouldn't be held to what everyone wants as a minimum standard this would open floodgates and force them to take precautions against any possible affliction that could affect anyone of us

Urgh been drinking since 6pm going to bed, quote me if you want me to reply
My parents pay taxes/ I used to have a part time job/I will in the future (pay taxes).
How am I being up myself? And yeah, that's my name, no need for the parenthesis. As I said, they should at least lower the smear test age.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (75)
19.38%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (157)
40.57%
Nope, not that interesting (155)
40.05%

Watched Threads