Report Thread starter 9 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7949145.stm

We're lovely people, really!
fioram
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd be too worried about getting shot tbh.
-WhySoSerious?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Better get my beer can stash out :P
Feral Beast
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bloody alcohol.
Oogamy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
With the 22nd regiment behind me, I can achieve anything.
LooieENG
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How pathetic. Look at the police stood there behind their shields, they should be out cracking skulls and making people too scared to do it again.
Ghost
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
(Original post by fioram)
You should be, for wearing that outfit love.
tradingmyheartforyours
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fioram)
:rolleyes:

One of my friends was in London with her bf recently and she was in a queue for something and the people behind her heard she was from N.Ireland and took this approach. "Dear it must have been awful for you to grow up in NI? Were you not worried going to school?" We found this amusing because we are still under 20s removed a generation from the troubles.

The only obv. connection to the troubles was the '97 Omagh bombing.
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had a feeling that people were more rowdy today than most years. Had to drive up near Queens to pick up my boyfriend from work and decided not to get out of the car and leave it as there were alot of drunk idiots about. What total idiots.
blue_tonic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm currently at my desk in Queen's, putting off the walk home, since there are so many drunkards running around...ridiculous. I know the longer I wait, the worse it will get too
Ghost
Rep:
?
(Original post by blue_tonic)
I'm currently at my desk in Queen's, putting off the walk home, since there are so many drunkards running around...ridiculous. I know the longer I wait, the worse it will get too
Grab a taxi!
What're ya doing in Queens so late anywhoo?
blue_tonic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The wonders of life as a PhD student have kept me here for too long! I'm too stingy for a taxi...and can't justify it for the paltry distance I'm walking...Donegall Rd, not too far from City Hospital
Ghost
Rep:
?
The wonders of life as a PhD student have kept me here for too long! I'm too stingy for a taxi...and can't justify it for the paltry distance I'm walking...Donegall Rd, not too far from City Hospital
lol dont be telling me things like that...
What's your PhD topic? I'm hoping to start one a UUJ in september - the lecturers gave me the illusion that working 9-5 should normally be enough to get the work done, without needing to work *too* many late nights. Were they lying to me?
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is a clear sign that they are letting too many stupid people into Universitys.
-Neon-
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Might be going to Coleraine myself.
Have to see what Stirling's like first.
blue_tonic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
lol dont be telling me things like that...
What's your PhD topic? I'm hoping to start one a UUJ in september - the lecturers gave me the illusion that working 9-5 should normally be enough to get the work done, without needing to work *too* many late nights. Were they lying to me?
I'm doing physics (nanotechnology). Your lecturers are probably pretty much right there with the 9-5ness...I just have wee bursts where I get a lot of work done, and other times when I wake up and think...I'm feeling unproductive this morning, I'll go in at 11 and be a bit more useful (well I tell myself that anyway :rolleyes:)

Of course, you will have some late nights when some deadline just pops up from seemingly nowhere and hits you in the face...happens to even the most organised of us (silly conferences and their ridiculously short deadline notices)! What would you do your PhD on?
Ghost
Rep:
?
I'm doing physics (nanotechnology). Your lecturers are probably pretty much right there with the 9-5ness...I just have wee bursts where I get a lot of work done, and other times when I wake up and think...I'm feeling unproductive this morning, I'll go in at 11 and be a bit more useful (well I tell myself that anyway :rolleyes:)

Of course, you will have some late nights when some deadline just pops up from seemingly nowhere and hits you in the face...happens to even the most organised of us (silly conferences and their ridiculously short deadline notices)! What would you do your PhD on?
Ahh good stuff, that's what I like to hear.
My PhD would be on emerging healthcare technology. I'll be a Computing Science graduate, so it'll all be from that angle. Mainly about things such as Smart Homes and support telemedicine, or the visualisation of data from smart homes.
What year are you in now? How are you finding it?
blue_tonic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
Ahh good stuff, that's what I like to hear.
My PhD would be on emerging healthcare technology. I'll be a Computing Science graduate, so it'll all be from that angle. Mainly about things such as Smart Homes and support telemedicine, or the visualisation of data from smart homes.
What year are you in now? How are you finding it?
I'm only in first year, but to be honest I'm finding it much easier than I had anticipated. I get on really well with my supervisor which was important for me; there were only 2 lecturers I would have liked to do a PhD project with, and luckily they were the 2 who had PhD positions in that department

Your PhD area sounds really interesting...I wish you all the best with it!

About to brave the drunken crowds now...:unsure:
Ghost
Rep:
?
I'm only in first year, but to be honest I'm finding it much easier than I had anticipated. I get on really well with my supervisor which was important for me; there were only 2 lecturers I would have liked to do a PhD project with, and luckily they were the 2 who had PhD positions in that department

Your PhD area sounds really interesting...I wish you all the best with it!

About to brave the drunken crowds now...:unsure:
Haha good luck! Leave another message reporting back when you get home! :P
Allthewayhome
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Its all blown out of proportion.

Rowdy students getting drunk and some chavs are causing trouble - its should be dealt with.

But stupid people going on the news and talking about it looking like a war zone just escalate a real non-event.

It's ned/chavs doing what they do best: causing trouble.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (273)
27.25%
No (729)
72.75%

Watched Threads