Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just passed my driving test today and looking to get insured on a mini one. Any idea on what is the best & cheapest insurer to use ? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/

ReputationRep:
    direct line. cheaper than any comparison site quotes.

ReputationRep:
    Put yourself as a named driver on someone's policy with lots of years no claims :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Search this forum, asked plenty of times.

ReputationRep:
    wherever you go, it ain't gonna be cheap...

ReputationRep:
    If you are between 17-21, particularly if you are male, it ain't going to be cheap regardless of who you go with. I am a 20 year old female and I am paying roughly £850 (plus breakdown cover) with Direct Line. They were the cheapest for me by a long way.

What insurance company are your parents with? check to see if you qualify for a multi-vehicle discount by going with the insurance company they use.

ReputationRep:
    Put yourself as a named driver on someone's policy with lots of years no claims
    Careful with this. Under some insurance company policies, if you are only a named driver you won't build up your own no-claims discount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixster)
    If you are between 17-21, particularly if you are male, it ain't going to be cheap regardless of who you go with. I am a 20 year old female and I am paying roughly £850 (plus breakdown cover) with Direct Line. They were the cheapest for me by a long way.

What insurance company are your parents with? check to see if you qualify for a multi-vehicle discount by going with the insurance company they use.
    Yeah I'm 18 and male. Was looking at being a named driver on the policy and its coming in at about a £1k. Thats a good idea though about the multi car discount. They are with norwich union (or aviva now!!) , will check it out .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Search this forum, asked plenty of times.
    I am perfectly aware this has been asked plenty of times. I was more intersted in whether anyone had insured the same/similar car and what price/company had been used.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm 18 and male. Was looking at being a named driver on the policy and its coming in at about a £1k. Thats a good idea though about the multi car discount. They are with norwich union (or aviva now!!) , will check it out .
    £1k sounds about right for your age. An 18 year old friend of my sisters is paying £1500 for his insurance, so £1000 sounds like a pretty good deal compared to that.

The only other thing I can think of is finding an insurance company that will have your parents as the primary driver and you as a named driver, but that still allows you to build up your no claims discount even as a named driver. I think Direct Line offer that, but I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Autoquotes at jowetts they will find you a comprehensive cover for under £1900 as a main driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweetliketropicana)
    I am perfectly aware this has been asked plenty of times. I was more intersted in whether anyone had insured the same/similar car and what price/company had been used.
    Well there's the other factors, do they also live at your address, have the same name as you, same family, same driving experience, same job? It all makes a difference not just the car or the company so asking if anyone had a similar quote to be honest is going to mean bugger all when running quotes yourself, so go run quotes yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Well there's the other factors, do they also live at your address, have the same name as you, same family, same driving experience, same job? It all makes a difference not just the car or the company so asking if anyone had a similar quote to be honest is going to mean bugger all when running quotes yourself, so go run quotes yourself
    These are all factors , but I don't think you can deny what car is being insured is the biggest factor in the cost. Anyone, who like myself has just passed their driving test, is going to have the same driving experience of 0 years and 0 months.

ReputationRep:
    Actually you'll find address and occupation are just as equally important as car and age (experience is only limited whilst under 21, beyond that it makes little difference)

Unless you're going for sporty/attention seeking/cars usually written off by young people then insurance is generally quite low, then again you're after a mini one so if you have that sort of money to spend on BMW maintenance then a slightly higher premium shouldn't matter

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.