Turn on thread page Beta

Computer Spec watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi i was just wondering how you guys would rate this new desktop im thinking of getting and whether its a good deal for the spec.

Dell XPS 430

• PROCESSOR PREMIUM - Intel® Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 (2.83GHz, 1333MHz, 12MB cache)
    • OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 (64 Bit) - English
    • MONITOR 23in S2309W WIDESCREEN UK Black (1920 x 1080)
    • MEMORY 4096MB 1333 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [4x1024]
    • HARD DRIVE 1.2 TB (2x 640 GB) Serial ATA (7200 Rpm) Dual HDD Config Raid 0 Stripe
    • GRAPHICS CARD Graphics 1GB ATI Radeon 3870 X2 graphics card
    • OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW (Read/Write DVD, CD)

Price : £863

ReputationRep:
    Why is this in the mobile computing section?

Price seems okay, might be able to do better building one yourself. I would want more space; Probably 2 larger HDDs but configured in RAID 1. Data integrity would be more important to me than read/write speed.

ReputationRep:
    seems fine, what mobo will it have?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you will get this any cheaper unless you self build. I would take advantage of your hdd and put a distro of linux on there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by codemonkey)
    I doubt you will get this any cheaper unless you self build. I would take advantage of your hdd and put a distro of linux on there.
    What is that?

(Original post by NoHands)
    seems fine, what mobo will it have?
    what is mobo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bankzy18)
    What is that?

what is mobo?

motherboard

ReputationRep:
    What is that?

what is mobo?
    If you don't know the answer to the first question, don't worry.
    A mobo is a motherboard.

Tbh, you would get the same PC for less if you built it yourself, but the big fail I see with that spec is the RAID0 array. There are very few situations where I'd recommend RAID0 and this isn't one of them.

Replace with 1 bigger hard drive, or 2 individual hard drives that aren't striped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoHands)
    motherboard
    oh lol not got a clue, its a dell xps 430, it doesnt state.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be some bespoke OEM Dell board to make sure you can't ever EVER upgrade.

ReputationRep:
    well it wont be bad, however you could probably get a cheaper deal for the same or better specs if you self-build.

if you dont want to self-build then its ok, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by codemonkey)
    What? Do you mean because of all the free space?

ReputationRep:
    -Moved to General Tech-

Watch where you're posting, OP.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I wouldn't bother with a quad core processor unless you actually have a reason to get it. Very few applications support multi-threading properly so you may as well just go for a dual-core processor instead.

As others have mentioned, RAID 0 is fail. Avoid it unless you really know what you're doing.

A machine of this sort of spec would be a load cheaper building it yourself, but for a novice, well, that's why Dell exist in the first place. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has valid points, im a novice myself so building one is a big issue but i do know someone who kindly made my very first gaming desktop (6 years ago lol). I just want a gaming desktop that is slightly above average for a good price. That system i listed above actually has over £350 of it!!! and with you all saying you can get cheaper by building says alot.

Any suggestions of a good gaming desktop? For the same price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    the big fail I see with that spec is the RAID0 array. There are very few situations where I'd recommend RAID0 and this isn't one of them.
    Could not be more wrong.

Raid 0 is pretty reliable, the chance of failure is not that much higher than a single drive (anyone telling you double most likely has 47 chromosones). Raid 0 also gives a significant performance boost, especially in office tasks where I/O hits are the main speed bottleneck. Anyway it is overpriced and a 3870x2 is just obscenely power hungry and not that powerful. Also overclocking and performance will be stunted. If you cannot/wont build then it is a good price

ReputationRep:
    You've got an interesting choice of CPU and GPU.

I personally have a quad-core and the 3870x2 but only becuase I use that machine to bruteforce passwords with GPU acceleration.

For normal use; editing, gaming it would be far better to get an E8500, get a good cooler, overclock and for GPU something like he 4870 would serve you better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harlequin_7_)
    Could not be more wrong.

Raid 0 is pretty reliable, the chance of failure is not that much higher than a single drive (anyone telling you double most likely has 47 chromosones). Raid 0 also gives a significant performance boost, especially in office tasks where I/O hits are the main speed bottleneck. Anyway it is overpriced and a 3870x2 is just obscenely power hungry and not that powerful. Also overclocking and performance will be stunted. If you cannot/wont build then it is a good price
    Well, the fact is that he's actually not wrong. RAID 0 is only as reliable as a single drive, given that if one of the two dies all your data goes byebye. Sure, in this day and age that's got a low chance of happening but that doesn't make him any less correct. Yeah, IMO the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, the massive speedboost is awesome, but I'd back up often because it simply is more susceptible to failure than a single drive.

EDIT:, you're right about it not being double, but it's very close to. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...0_failure_rate

ReputationRep:
    Ok any suggestions of where i could purchase a good gaming desktop then? If i was to buiild one i dont have a clue what would need to be purchased. If someone would be so kind to possibly draw me up a spec listing the things i would need. I could get my friend to build it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harlequin_7_)
    Could not be more wrong.

What Oli said.

I'd only ever use RAID0 with Raptors, and use the array to store programs/windows, and then a separate drive/RAID5 array for work, music, videos etc. I'd never EVER use it in a situation where the array is the only storage on the machine, which it is in this case. The risk of total loss of personal data is too great.

[EDIT] Besides, the real terms performance increase you gain from a RAID0 array isn't mindblowing... According to this study, whilst the average transfer rate increased by almost 100%, the real terms performance benefit was a mere 4.5%-15% depending on the tests carried out.

I personally don't think the benefit outweighs the risk.

But clearly I have Downs Syndrome, so what do I know...

ReputationRep:
    so any suggestions on a possible place to purchase a good gaming desktop?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.