At A Crossroads In Sexuality vs. Dress Sense Watch

Faustus Fotherby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Basically I'm a really happy, open gay guy (I made a post some time back about lacking relationships and not liking overly camp gay guys), but I've reached a crossroads in my dress sense after this evening.

I was in Boots today just with my housemate not really paying attention and considering getting some new aftershave when I noticed the section of make-up that is like glittery, coloured dust type stuff (think: Barry M) that I've been calling "eye shadow" all evening even though it only goes on your eyelids.

Anyway I was having a laugh with my housemate and thought it'd be really funny to wear because it was so colourful so I picked out a nice bright blue and bought it. I wore it this evening to a group meeting at a pub and everyone said it looked really nice and that I should wear it more often.

I was kinda really surprised cos I was only wearing it for a laugh and thought I could use it for fancy dress parties in the future. Thing is I'm really against the whole "overly-camp/gay" image and feel that wearing that would just be unbelievably hypocritical and would pull me down the road of conforming to that image which I really despise. It was also a nuisance to put on having never used make up before.

On the other hand, if other people think I look nice I'd like to carry on wearing it and I kinda liked myself in it because it added a bit of weirdness to my (already crazy) character, not to mention it was a conversation point in the bar:

"Do you have eye shadow on?!"
"Ha ha! Yeh I do, was just for a laugh really cos it looked like fun when I saw it in town earlier. Put it on myself, first time ever with make up, how does it look...?"

That sort of thing. But yeh I'm just worried that I'm descending into hypocrisy... normally I'm all for what makes someone feel best and so I'd like to just carry on wearing it, (screw the ideals) but I'm worried this will affect the kind of guys that'll be interested in me. They could see me as some OTT camp guy and discount me when I'd much rather have someone really normal.

Argh what do you guys think?

EDITED for spelling.
Mr. MadMonkey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Uh, your appearance should be what you're comfortable with. That should be pretty obvious.

If you need a blunt answer, don't bother with the eye-shadow. You obviously don't want to wear it all the time.

Maybe keep some for nights out or something where it might be suitable, but otherwise, why put yourself through it? It's not what you want.
SerenaFiend
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well if you like the eye shadow, why not? Just a little sparkle wont make you camp. To me camp is more the way you act anyway. If you don't wanna repel guys maybe dont wear it too often, just when you want to look special lol and make sure all else is really manly!
smellslikemarmite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If it makes you happy, it can't be that baaaaaad...
Seriously though, if you enjoy wearing it, and you think it suits you and your personality, then why not?
Frodz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

We lose another one to the dark side.......
imonlynapping
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't think so hard about it! Just wear whatever you want if you think it looks good and you have fun with it.
MattHummer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its not what u wear its how u wear it. i wear skinny jeans tight vest tops etc. if i walked camp then id look camp but because im manly then it looks manly.
FyreFight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Reserve it for special occasions - if you go out wearing bright blue sparkly makeup consistently you will be seen as more camp than you would have otherwise.
Vykeera
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Again, save it for special occasions... big nights out, etc.
It's like, I like wearing mini-dresses with bright coloured heels, but I'm not going to wear them every day because I'll look ott. For a night out every now and again, though... why not?
she
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Glitter is amazing (not gary glitter, glitter glitter). It shouldn't be a gendered thing, glitter is too good not to share!
Eien
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know people say it all the time, but sod what others think or what you think they want you to be - just be how you want to be, if you have the confidence to do that, your actions and attitude will make you look more attractive. Some people may be repelled perhaps, but so what?
she
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You could use it in a gothy way, draw on blue glittery tears or something
Stace-is-Ace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't encourage many guys to wear eyeshadow tbh! Lol! But...if you like wearing it when you go out or whatever then I don't think there's anything wrong with it per se. It's not like you're the only guy in the world to do it!

It doesn't really mean you're being super-camp if you're just wearing it. It's if you start acting in a camp kind of way which would make you seem more camp. I think.
Undiscovery
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You're supposedly a straight acting gay guy and you're wearing glittery eye shadow? :confused:

Wear it if you're comfortable with it, and if you're convinced you look hot...
Faustus Fotherby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Frodz)

We lose another one to the dark side.......
That's exactly the reaction I don't want It's just almost everyone I've asked about it has said it looks really nice on me and it's not like I've caked it on by the bucket load, much more subtle. So seeing as it looks nice then I think it can be viewed as appropriate by many - I kinda see it as if used sparingly/properly then it can genuinely enhance the appearance of someone. I mean I wouldn't like to see a gay guy caked in make up but I think just a little bit to add colour/flavour to their appearance (if you could call it that) works nicely without being like "OH MY LORD, HE'S A CAMP PRAT!"

I like the suggestions to only wear it on special occasions and it's probably what I'll go with but yeh... anymore views?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (202)
27.48%
No (533)
72.52%

Watched Threads