HELP w/ TOK Presentation! Watch

kimmiii
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey guys! Me and my friend decided to talk about the

'Concept of an Ideal Woman Portrayed by the Society, specifically looking at: Anorexia'

.. a psychological and emotional dilemma among women

* What is beauty?
* Is looking good important in able to blend in well with the vast majority of the crowd?
* How do physical appearances impact the society's classification of one's identity?

We are still not sure how to tackle this though - how to make this sound tok-ish and how to make this interesting and enjoyable enough for the class.

Have any suggestions? Please post away! Thanks for taking the time to read/respond to this!

:loveduck: :please:
SoFf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

'Concept of an Ideal Woman Portrayed by the Society, specifically looking at: Anorexia'

* What is beauty?
* Is looking good important in able to blend in well with the vast majority of the crowd?
* How do physical appearances impact the society's classification of one's identity?

We are still not sure how to tackle this though - how to make this sound tok-ish and how to make this interesting and enjoyable enough for the class.

Have any suggestions? Please post away! Thanks for taking the time to read/respond to this!
TOK is really keen on evaluating a matter from different perspectives. You could beggin by evaluating society's role in encouraging anorexia (which, as I see from your questions, is already your focus).

Make a very convincing argument and THEN evaluate it from the perspective of the individual. What I mean is: if society enforces an unattainable ideal of beauty, why are just SOME and not ALL members of society anorexic? What are the psychological traits that make some people more vulnerable than others?

You could arrange it in the form of a debate (TOK examiners love that!). Your main question can be: is anorexia socially or psychologically induced? You could argue both ways convincingly and then conclude that it is caused by a combination of both factors.

That way you'll have arguments and counter-arguments and multiplicity of perspectives covered

Hope that helped! Good luck!
SoFf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kimmiii)

* What is beauty?

:loveduck: :please:
Oh, and when discussing the psychology of anorexia, don't stick to the "some people just have lower selfesteem and want to blend in the crowd more than others" argument.

There are some pretty convincing theories that state that some girls become anorexic because the need to have more control over their lives (they usually come from families that restrict them quite a lot), and their anorexia is a way to prove their self-control to themselves and their parents.

Google "pro-ana" and "pro-mia"... these are blogs where anorexics discuss diets and goals and you can get a pretty good insight into what their lives are like.
kimmiii
yayy! thanks!! :woo:

:party: that was really helpful!!yay!
kimmiii
Anyone else have any suggestions to make it fun and unique? :]
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What SoFf said about debates is very, very true - examiners do love them. It has to be a self-contained debate - i.e. you and your friend - but they are almost certain to mark you up simply for doing one. All the 20/20 [I was 19/20 with a bog-standard but still what I think was very good presentation] scorers in our class did very well-structured debates that managed to throw in as many perspectives as possible.

One I particularly enjoyed, and the guys who did it enjoyed writing, was in the form of a courtroom debate about different perspectives euthanasia, focusing on a specific, real-life case that developed into two very creative arguments - if you can find a court case related to anorexia, this might be an option. Another possibility is a TV debate, but I'm not sure it would work terribly well with just the two of you. However, on that note, you could "interview" your friend [or vice versa] who just so happens to be a prominent psychologist dealing with many different girls with anorexia and who deals with perceptions of these girls in the media. In that one, the psychologist, being prompted, could expand on different ToK viewpoints of these girls [so relate to anorexia from utilitarian, kantian ethics, etc.] in a debate with the presenter, but it might be a little one-sided towards the psychologist doing all the work unless you're careful.

End of the day - they won't mark you down for doing a standard presentation, but in groups they certainly expect a degree of creativity.

And if it helps, good luck! ^_^ I won't lie - it's not easy - but it is good fun once you get the ball rolling.
Maja_Elisabeth
Report 9 years ago
some of my classmates did this question, or similar at least. for the "what is beauty" section they discussed the ideal woman hip:waist ratio. You could try to find evidence of how these average values have changed throughout the years to perhaps see if you can find a trend in how our perspective of beauty has altered. For example, women that were bigger were genrally considered more beautiful in the past, however now this ideology appears to be changing.
Here is a video that you might be able to use;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U
I used it for my TOK presentation which was on how evidence can be altered based on technology.

Hope this helps at least a little =)
SoFf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kimmiii)
yayy! thanks!! :woo:

:party: that was really helpful!!yay!
I'm glad to be of help

Take a look at these for insight into the minds and lives of some anorexic girls:

http://www.proanamia.com/
http://www.houseofthin.com/
kimmiii
(Original post by Maja_Elisabeth)
some of my classmates did this question, or similar at least. for the "what is beauty" section they discussed the ideal woman hip:waist ratio. You could try to find evidence of how these average values have changed throughout the years to perhaps see if you can find a trend in how our perspective of beauty has altered. For example, women that were bigger were genrally considered more beautiful in the past, however now this ideology appears to be changing.
Here is a video that you might be able to use;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U
I used it for my TOK presentation which was on how evidence can be altered based on technology.

Hope this helps at least a little =)
Wow that video was really good for tok! :] We will sure use that for our presentation! :bumps: Tyvm!

---

Aphotic Cosmos & SoFf

Thank you so much too for the tips for the presentation!! <3
ab_fabregas
Report 9 years ago
I was also doing this as my TOK, and came across this site when searching for resources. I was thinking of asking the boys what measurement of girls they like, hnestly, and showing them pics of models, and obese people, etc...I just have the topic but dont know how to make it TOK ISH!!! lol
ab_fabregas
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing Sociocultural and Historical Events Surrounding the Ideal Woman...good topic?
jc_bach
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well since this is not EE, you are not investigating the topic, you are investigating everyday life situations (real-life) by using ur TOK knowledge.
So your topic must be a real-life issue (better to be comtemporary/recent) to ur country/culture/world.
So you must constantly be asking urself is ur topic has lots of TOK issues in it (for which you can pull out and discuss for ~10minutes).
FOr your topic, to an extent it might be good but you might have to rephrase ur topic abit, such as narrow it down to the ideal woman in ....(country/region) maybe discuss the changes of the role of the ideal of woman due to certain comtemporary events.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads