BEng / MEng question Watch

JuDgE
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
generally BEng cources have lower entry requiments than MEng cources in the same uni

manchester BEng=ABB / MEng=AAB
warwick BEng=BBB / MEng=AAB-ABB
newcastle BEng=BBB / MEng=AAB-ABB

this is true only for unis with like medium entry requierments in unis with high entry requierments the BEng and MEng cources requiere the same grades

Bath BEng=AAB / MEng=AAB
Southampton BEng=AAB / MEng=AAB
Bristol BEng=AAB-ABB / MEng=AAB-ABB

Q1/ why are the entry requiermnts different? you need to do the bachlor first anyway so y they give you entry requiermes for a cource you will be starting after 3 or 4 years?

the only explanation i can give is that the cources are different/ i.e the first 3 years of the MEng cource are not the same as the BEng. which to me is also a bit contradictory since dont you first need a bachlor before you get a masters. this is just a assumption so if someone can please confirm it

Q2/ if so y are they different? since you can get get the same MEng degree in the same amount of time/ you can directly take the MEng cource which is 4years or u can take the BEng cource and which is 3 years and do a masters after that which is for 1 year / at the end u have the same result in the same amount of time

Q3/ y Beng and Meng cources in like better unis have the same entry requierments

Q4/ is this true for other types of degrees 2 ?

whoever reads it i hope i make sense
spike_spiegel
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
don't believe the hype, you'll move into meng automatically in your second year. the uni's need the extra fees.
oh yeah, forgot to mention, do meng. you'll be glad you did later if engineering is your cup of tea
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
COURSE

That's going to drive me insane reading that...

Essentially, yes, you make a point. But just because you do a BEng doesn't mean you're entitled to then do an MEng at the same place. Though they are the same for the first 3 years on the whole, the last year makes a lot of difference and makes it a different course.
JuDgE
i agree with you drewski that by doing a Beng you are not entiteld to do an Meng but thats exactly my point why dont unis offer you the Meng depending on your perforrmance on the Beng and not your a levels/ like even if u get really good a levels it does not mean (although unlikely) that you will get a a good bachlor, a grade that does not give u the chance to do a master. so u see my point y judge u on a a levels for a master when you have do do a bachlor before
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you go BEng and prove yourself good and able you can be offered the choice to move on the MEng. Usually you have to maintain a higher average from the word go. Say 60% as opposed to 40%.

However, if you go MEng from the start you're normally locked into the 4years, so the higher academic requirement to get in is a way of weeding out those who could possibly get bored/lose interest.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are several misapprehensions among previous responses.

First of all, most universities offer the chance to upgrade to an MEng during the course, depending on your results (usually you need to be on target for at least an upper second). You are usually also allowed (or forced, if you have poor results) to drop down to the MEng from the MEng.

Most MEng courses do not just tack on a year at the end. The syllabus differs from the end of the second year, sometimes earlier. Some universities don't offer the BEng as an option that you can apply for (e.g. Oxford, Cambridge).

I suspect (but don't know for certain) that the better universities almost entirely take MEng undergraduates, which is why their requirements aren't lower for the BEng.

The MEng is generally an undergraduate masters. You will find it difficult to find a one year masters to complement a BEng.

Oh, and OP, please try and write in decent English. Deciphering that misspelled post with its liberal sprinkiling of text speak (which is against the rules of TSR, by the way) was not easy.
JuDgE
i cant imagine this being the only reason / the weeding out process u mentiond can be done from the grades people get in their 3rd year/ if u get higer grades it does not nececeraly mean that u will not get board and stop being interested thas y u used the word "possibly" i still dont see a solid reason y the requirments are higher
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The only way you'll get a definitive answer is by talking to the admissions dep of the universities.
You'll only get [educated] speculation here.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JuDgE)
i cant imagine this being the only reason / the weeding out process u mentiond can be done from the grades people get in their 3rd year/ if u get higer grades it does not nececeraly mean that u will not get board and stop being interested thas y u used the word "possibly" i still dont see a solid reason y the requirments are higher
Please write in English. Reading that is very difficult.

As I said in my previous post, the decisions aren't made at the end of the third year - they are typically made at the end of the second year. The course structures normally differ and, of course, the MEng is seen to make higher demands of its sudents, intellectually.

I didn't use the word "possibly", so I don't understand what you are saying there.
JuDgE
sorry for my inglish lol no man im just messing
thx this pretty much answers my question
i was quoting drewski he said it/ the thing i wrote was a response to what he wrote
alexyfoot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
There are several misapprehensions among previous responses.

First of all, most universities offer the chance to upgrade to an MEng during the course, depending on your results (usually you need to be on target for at least an upper second). You are usually also allowed (or forced, if you have poor results) to drop down to the MEng from the MEng.

Most MEng courses do not just tack on a year at the end. The syllabus differs from the end of the second year, sometimes earlier. Some universities don't offer the BEng as an option that you can apply for (e.g. Oxford, Cambridge).

I suspect (but don't know for certain) that the better universities almost entirely take MEng undergraduates, which is why their requirements aren't lower for the BEng.

The MEng is generally an undergraduate masters. You will find it difficult to find a one year masters to complement a BEng.

Oh, and OP, please try and write in decent English. Deciphering that misspelled post with its liberal sprinkiling of text speak (which is against the rules of TSR, by the way) was not easy.
Just one note. There are more than enough taught postgrad MSc that take just one year to upgrade your BEng to a master's. Research degrees could probably be longer but you get funfing for them from the university. Taught programs which you dont get funding for are one or two years depending on if you are doing it full or part time. Otherwise, I agree with the comments made.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexyfoot)
Just one note. There are more than enough taught postgrad MSc that take just one year to upgrade your BEng to a master's. Research degrees could probably be longer but you get funfing for them from the university. Taught programs which you dont get funding for are one or two years depending on if you are doing it full or part time. Otherwise, I agree with the comments made.
Yes, I meant to attain an actual MEng. There are plenty of MSc courses around.
alexyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, I meant to attain an actual MEng. There are plenty of MSc courses around.
There is no MEng to do after you do BEng...MSc is the option but it doesnt matter as BEng+MSc=MEng so after all it is the same effect for your career.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexyfoot)
There is no MEng to do after you do BEng...MSc is the option but it doesnt matter as BEng+MSc=MEng so after all it is the same effect for your career.
But not your pocket. MSc courses cost more than an extra year as an undergraduate, and finance is harder to come by.
alexyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But not your pocket. MSc courses cost more than an extra year as an undergraduate, and finance is harder to come by.
MSc courses have the same tuition as the additional undergrad year for the MEng. Theres some myth on this forum that it costs more when that is actually not true. The tuition at most universities is the same (not all, a couple of exceptions). Financing for MSc is by winning a scholarship and you can get a loan for career development from a bank (the way you take it for the undergrad BEng/MEng, and that is for taught courses). You are not entitled for a maintenance grant from the government and that is the only difference in terms of money (that doesnt concern me as I cant get it for BEng as I am not UK citizen). However, if you want to take the route of research postgrad MSc and you prove that you are worth it you get tuition and maintenance scholarship from the university to cover any costs of living, so funding is obtainable if you have the desire and skills to get it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?