The Student Room Group

Exams vs Coursework

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Coursework, I know I can take my time with it, use various resources and not worry about remembering dates, acts, etc. Some exams are fine, providing I have a genuine interest in the topic, however others that are merely compulsory are more tedious.
Reply 21
Nick_000
Definately coursework.

In an exam, there are so many variables that can go wrong. You can have a bad day in general, you could have revised the wrong subjects by accident, misread the question, time constraints lead to you not getting all your points across and so on.

With coursework, you can put real effort in and its much easier to hit a particular target mark you have set yourself as you can check it against a marking scheme.

Yes, but they do take into account that you're under pressure so they don't expect an exam essay to be of the same quality as a coursework essay.
ive had 14 exams at a-level, 12 A's 1 B and 1 C
1 piece of coursework got a B
My current piece of coursework will also not be any better than a B that is for sure
Exams ftw
Reply 23
rapha
Yes, but they do take into account that you're under pressure so they don't expect an exam essay to be of the same quality as a coursework essay.

I realise that.

Exams can often be little more than memory tests though. As long as you can express yourself clearly and be explicit about the points you make, I find it usually leads to success.
Coursework is alot better for me, gives me time to perfect it. Although I do find the useless people trying to get you to tell them and answers quite annoying.
In exams bad days happen, for example, it has been shown that girls generally drop in IQ around their time of the month, leaving them disadvantaged if it coincides with an exam.
Coursework, definitely! I just can't work well under exam conditions at all. I panic, I stop thinking, I waffle, I then panic some more, I get out of exam, I cry. Not good.
That's not to say I find coursework a walk in the park - I generally panic a lot with that as well, just over a longer period so I don't quite get the full effect.
Basically, for me, coursework = less panic = better than exams.
I used to prefer coursework. Now I prefer exams because it is sometimes easier to get a better grade.
At A-level, exams, definitely.
Coursework just takes too damn long and I cannot be bothered with the constant improvements.
Reply 28
i prefer exams i think
Reply 29
Used to think coursework but i always end up putting it off. I hate revisiting things aswell.

I like that with exams you can just forget everything straight after.
Coursework!
I've never been very good with exams... at least coursework gives me the chance to pull my grade up if my exams go wrong!
Reply 31
Give me coursework any day!
Reply 32
Coursework for sure. I get really stressed working under timed conditions.
I don't have the motivation to do coursework. I work much better under the pressure of an exam.
I never do bother with coursework. I prefer exams, all the way!
Exams.
I abhor coursework
In my opinion coursework is cheating-people do their coursework, then get it back to 'improve', so those who put the effort in/managed to achieve the best the first draft round end up with pretty much the same as those who keep getting it back to edit!

People get A grades in coursework because they are spoonfed and keep getting it back to 'improve it' then when it comes to an exam they end up with Es...If this is an effective way of testing a person's knowledge then why are we not given back our exam papers to 'edit' in cases of poor performance!

:mad:
Coursework - exams stress me out!
Reply 38
Definitely exams! Coursework seems such a waste at times, especially when you focus on it for so long in lessons. Those lessons could have been put to better use.
Coursework all the way.

It's closer to how things work in real life. When, during your career, will you be asked to sit down and write something (a report or anything else) without any resources to help you in a short space of time? You will always be able to use google to check statistics, facts, equations etc. The lack of immediate time pressure means that you can write it, then go back to it the next day and look at it with fresh eyes and make it better, which is a more accurate reflection of your ability.

Exams simply encourage you to tank up on information that you will have forgotten later and will probably forget some of in the exam due to stress, and the time constraints can prevent you from showing what you can do simply because you write a little slower than someone else.

In short, exams lack ecological validity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending