I have trouble concentrating on studying... help! Watch

streetfighter5
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
ok not to brag or anything but apart from times when i really HAD to revise (like in the few days before an exam) i hardly ever did much revision at GCSE or A-level.
This isn't because i didnt want to, but more because i have severe trouble concentrating.
Now i'm at uni, this is becoming a huge problem, and i dont know what to do.

Firstly, i dont want to feel i have some kind of condition if this is normal - i mean, people often say they cant be arsed to do work, but i dont know if that is the say as actually getting the "mental block" that i do when i try and do work.

(reposted here as no one in H+R can be bothered to reply)
streetfighter5
bump!!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Have you figured out what type of learner you are? Maybe you just haven't found the right learning style yet...

I have similar problems in that whilst I always revise for things and am good at revising, I get incredibly bored in exams. Not coz I find them easy (far from it!) but because I can't sit in silence and concentrate on one thing for 1-3 hours
streetfighter5
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Have you figured out what type of learner you are? Maybe you just haven't found the right learning style yet...

I have similar problems in that whilst I always revise for things and am good at revising, I get incredibly bored in exams. Not coz I find them easy (far from it!) but because I can't sit in silence and concentrate on one thing for 1-3 hours
well i think i'm more of a memorizer - by nature, i try and memorise everything we learn whilst in the lesson or seminar, so i dont have to revise.
works a bit, but not completely
Lord_Farquad
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
get a prescription for adderall.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by streetfighter5)
well i think i'm more of a memorizer - by nature, i try and memorise everything we learn whilst in the lesson or seminar, so i dont have to revise.
works a bit, but not completely
Ah, I see! I have friends like you, seems to work v well.

So what kinda problems have you encountered at uni? Is it because there's much more work to memorise now?
petzneo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ok not to brag or anything but apart from times when i really HAD to revise (like in the few days before an exam) i hardly ever did much revision at GCSE or A-level.
This isn't because i didnt want to, but more because i have severe trouble concentrating.
Now i'm at uni, this is becoming a huge problem, and i dont know what to do.

Firstly, i dont want to feel i have some kind of condition if this is normal - i mean, people often say they cant be arsed to do work, but i dont know if that is the say as actually getting the "mental block" that i do when i try and do work.

(reposted here as no one in H+R can be bothered to reply)

So bad... but I am EXACTLY the same...no-one seems to get it, my mum thinks I am just being lazy, but i seriously think there is something wrong with me...gosh I have never ever revised properly in my life, in A levels I was the worst, revising literally the day before my exams...sometimes I did well, other times I didn't.

All my teachers knew it, they just didn't know what to do...I am constantly running away from revision...good example, I have a Bio exam tomorrow, still haven't started, i want to but...:confused:

The only thing that works is if I start writing notes out and listening to music so I don't get distracted by anyone.

If your uni has a silent zone, try revising there...
streetfighter5
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Ah, I see! I have friends like you, seems to work v well.

So what kinda problems have you encountered at uni? Is it because there's much more work to memorise now?
yeah, and reading through the textbook there's so much stuff to learn because we don't really make notes in seminars and the lecture notes are too complicated.
Melly92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
there's no real answer to it, make yourself revise in a quiet place and sometimes i find that playing music helps, too. there's no need to 'overdo' revision.

random but, do you get enough sleep/good food/water? if not, this can be a problem as 'heavy food :P' can make you feel lethargic and all 'i can't be arsed/too sleeepyyy... *falls asleep on computer*' xD in my gcse's i hardly did any revision yet still came out pretty well but thats just the luck of the draw really, i know its not going to be them circumstances this year so i just recommend alloting periods per day to study either with a friend (this helps me) or alone, and then reward yourself afterwards with a treat. if the matter persists, have a word with your teachers and i'm sure they can help you..?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah, and reading through the textbook there's so much stuff to learn because we don't really make notes in seminars and the lecture notes are too complicated.
Maybe you need to start noting things down, or simplifying them and jotting them down so that you can memorise stuff that you can understand better?

I agree with the person above suggesting that you tell someone at uni about it. I told one of my tutors about my concentration problems/time management problems and she was very sympathetic. We're trying to build strategies to tackle it
simcard2007
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's called gtfo the computer stop watching tv and get on with some work youn lazy fag.

Jokes aside, im serious.
Neo Con
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by petzneo)
So bad... but I am EXACTLY the same...no-one seems to get it, my mum thinks I am just being lazy, but i seriously think there is something wrong with me...gosh I have never ever revised properly in my life, in A levels I was the worst, revising literally the day before my exams...sometimes I did well, other times I didn't.

All my teachers knew it, they just didn't know what to do...I am constantly running away from revision...good example, I have a Bio exam tomorrow, still haven't started, i want to but...:confused:

The only thing that works is if I start writing notes out and listening to music so I don't get distracted by anyone.

If your uni has a silent zone, try revising there...
I have this problem. I barely could revise in my early days, slightly getting better now. Even when I listen to music I just end up changing tracks and wasting time. Now I leave the radio on and a clock in front of me. Slightly better now lol
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise