Vision Problems Watch

Joanna May
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
This is going to sound really weird, but I don't know how to describe it.

Sometimes, I get really dizzy and my vision goes weird. It's not just a case of it going blurry. It's like there's some kind of rippling brown/gold wave that comes across my vision, so I can only see a very tiny portion of what's in front of me. Sort of like tunnel vision, but instead of it being dark, it's this weird swirly, rippling wavy pattern.

It happens a lot in the morning, when I have to get up fairly quickly for work or something. If I wake up and can lie in bed for a bit, then when I get up, I don't tend to get the vision problems, just the dizziness. But when I have to get up more or less as soon as I wake up, I generally can't see properly for a good 30 seconds or so. Normally I presumed it was just something like dehydration or the fact I hadn't eaten recently, since I was getting it first thing in the morning when I got up quickly. But I got it yesterday when I was just walking from the kitchen table to the sink.

Any idea what this can be? Obviously I'll get it checked out, but is it a thing for the optician or the doctor? The associated dizziness makes me think the doctor, but the loss of sight makes me think optician.
kaytee.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've had this for years but recently its occured more often. Everytime I stand up I can't see anything for about 20 secs and i've been feeling sick with it this week so I went the doctors today and told them about this and the headaches I always get too.
Apparently i've got low blood pressure but the doctor wants to make sure everything's ok so is referring me to a neurologist.
I've been looking these symptoms up on the internet and its called postural hypotension http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension but it's does have some associations that could indicate a medical concern. So, I say go to your GP just to make sure all is ok
anna_spanner89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Joanna May)
This is going to sound really weird, but I don't know how to describe it.

Sometimes, I get really dizzy and my vision goes weird. It's not just a case of it going blurry. It's like there's some kind of rippling brown/gold wave that comes across my vision, so I can only see a very tiny portion of what's in front of me. Sort of like tunnel vision, but instead of it being dark, it's this weird swirly, rippling wavy pattern.

It happens a lot in the morning, when I have to get up fairly quickly for work or something. If I wake up and can lie in bed for a bit, then when I get up, I don't tend to get the vision problems, just the dizziness. But when I have to get up more or less as soon as I wake up, I generally can't see properly for a good 30 seconds or so. Normally I presumed it was just something like dehydration or the fact I hadn't eaten recently, since I was getting it first thing in the morning when I got up quickly. But I got it yesterday when I was just walking from the kitchen table to the sink.

Any idea what this can be? Obviously I'll get it checked out, but is it a thing for the optician or the doctor? The associated dizziness makes me think the doctor, but the loss of sight makes me think optician.

I'd go to the doctor first- as your right, there is diziness involved? have you had your eyes tested recently? the loss of sight can be linked to the diziness
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1408)
79.64%
Leave (360)
20.36%

Watched Threads