Turn on thread page Beta

Visa Issues for Thailand and Vietnam - Help watch

ReputationRep:
    I leave the UK on 1st April and get to Thailand on the 2nd, I will leave Thailand on the 17th June getting back in the UK the same day. In these
    two and half months I'll be travelling through Thailand in to Vietnam then back in to Thailand again to catch my plane. My trip in all is over 60 days.

Does anyone know what types of Visa I will need for Thailand and Vietnam? And how much they will cost?

Any shreds of wisdom will be greatly appreciated - thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    As they say in the business, 'bump'.

ReputationRep:
    For Thailand you should get a visa exemption on arrival. This means you have 30 days to travel the country, before you need to leave to renew your visa. Bear in mind you can do a border run eg. to Cambodia, and then come back the same day to get another 30 days. Many companies will do this in Thailand.

However, to qualify for the visa exemption you are supposed to have a flight booked out of Thailand within 30 days of you arriving. I have never heard of them ever checking this though. You could always just go as you are 99% you'll be fine. If not there are 2 choices, book a cheap flight somewhere, say from Bangkok to Phnom Penh/Ho Chi Minh (AirAsia are a god bet) or, better yet, get a 60 day multiple entry visa for free from the embassy in this country (its in Hull, but you can send them your passport) The Thai government only just made this law, so the embassy here hasnt quite got the news that 60 day visas are free yet, so give them a ring first.

For Vietnam you need to have a visa before you arrive, no if's, no but's. You wont be let in otherwise, unless you bribe them anyway... This is easily arrangable in Thailand or Cambodia though. Payment is in dollars, but again you can sort that out in Thailand. I think its about $30, although agency fees apply.

I assume you'll be going to Cambodia to get between the 2 countries? If so you can get a visa on the border, again, bring some dollars and passport photos.

So, to summarise - Thailand, you should be fine. If not get a free visa here or book a cheap flight out of Thailand within 30 days. Vietnam get before you go. Give yourself a few days to do this though. Bring dollars and passport photos.

ReputationRep:
    Great post thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think youre allowed to go zef

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the input, we couldn't do this without you

ReputationRep:
    just thought you should know

ReputationRep:
    seriously how ******* good is that photo

ReputationRep:
    did you arrange that photoshoot just for me?

ReputationRep:
    of course bbz, who else?

ReputationRep:
    awesome thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordbonney)
    For Thailand you should get a visa exemption on arrival. This means you have 30 days to travel the country, before you need to leave to renew your visa. Bear in mind you can do a border run eg. to Cambodia, and then come back the same day to get another 30 days. Many companies will do this in Thailand.

However, to qualify for the visa exemption you are supposed to have a flight booked out of Thailand within 30 days of you arriving. I have never heard of them ever checking this though. You could always just go as you are 99% you'll be fine. If not there are 2 choices, book a cheap flight somewhere, say from Bangkok to Phnom Penh/Ho Chi Minh (AirAsia are a god bet) or, better yet, get a 60 day multiple entry visa for free from the embassy in this country (its in Hull, but you can send them your passport) The Thai government only just made this law, so the embassy here hasnt quite got the news that 60 day visas are free yet, so give them a ring first.

For Vietnam you need to have a visa before you arrive, no if's, no but's. You wont be let in otherwise, unless you bribe them anyway... This is easily arrangable in Thailand or Cambodia though. Payment is in dollars, but again you can sort that out in Thailand. I think its about $30, although agency fees apply.

I assume you'll be going to Cambodia to get between the 2 countries? If so you can get a visa on the border, again, bring some dollars and passport photos.

So, to summarise - Thailand, you should be fine. If not get a free visa here or book a cheap flight out of Thailand within 30 days. Vietnam get before you go. Give yourself a few days to do this though. Bring dollars and passport photos.
    Once again, thanks. Just to clarify, is the free Visa from Hull definitely multiple entry (?), I've heard conflicting sources online. Also, I'm going to be in Thailand for less than 60 days in a row, so when I go to Vietnam/Cambodia can I pick up a visa to give me more days in Thailand?

When you said:

For Vietnam you need to have a visa before you arrive, no if's, no but's. You wont be let in otherwise, unless you bribe them anyway... This is easily arrangable in Thailand or Cambodia though.
    Did the section in bold refer to bribing in thailand and cambodia, or obtaining a visa for vietnam from one of these countries? Or do I need to get a vietnamese visa before I leave England?

I still owe you rep -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zef99)
    Once again, thanks. Just to clarify, is the free Visa from Hull definitely multiple entry (?), I've heard conflicting sources online. Also, I'm going to be in Thailand for less than 60 days in a row, so when I go to Vietnam/Cambodia can I pick up a visa to give me more days in Thailand?

When you said:

Did the section in bold refer to bribing in thailand and cambodia, or obtaining a visa for vietnam from one of these countries? Or do I need to get a vietnamese visa before I leave England?

I still owe you rep -
    http://boards.gapyear.com/index.php?...&f=75&t=385340 Look at this for the latest news on the free visa. As I understand it a single entry 60 day visa is free, double entry £28, triple £56. You can have up to 3 60 day visas. When you then leave Thailand if you've got the chance pick up another 60 day single entry for free, or you can just pay for a 15 day visa when you cross the border.

So to summarise that - 60 day single entry, free at embassy. 15 day single entry costs ($15? Not too sure, cant remember) at any land border.

And you should be fine without bribing anyone, just go to a travel agent in pretty much any SE Asian country and get a visa from them, or find a Vietnamese embassy.. You can get it in the UK, but its cheaper to do it there.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant thank you.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.