The Student Room Group

Sainsburys Department Manager

Hey Guys and Guy-ettes!

I have an interview tomorrow for Sainsburys as a trainee department manager. Just one question, what does a department manager do? Obviously a department manager looks after a specific section of the supermarket (e.g. Frozen, Dry, Bakery...) but what does it involve? Im trying to prepare myself, and I cant find anything on the sainsburys website.:woo:

Thanks a lot

Ben Fox
Reply 1
Managing workers in the area, stock, stuff like that I imagine!
binj112
Hey Guys and Guy-ettes!

I have an interview tomorrow for Sainsburys as a trainee department manager. Just one question, what does a department manager do? Obviously a department manager looks after a specific section of the supermarket (e.g. Frozen, Dry, Bakery...) but what does it involve? Im trying to prepare myself, and I cant find anything on the sainsburys website.:woo:

Thanks a lot

Ben Fox

Sorry, its a bit late, this may still be of some use though. Im a part-time Team Leader for Sainsbury's (kind of like an assistant dept. manager). Your job will very much depend on the department you are given. I know exactly what the Customer Service Manager does but im only familiar with the dry goods manager or the fresh manager.

The CSM basically writes up the schedules for the month and authorises holidays, there are also responsible for till loss and profit protection, handling customer complaints, training and ensuring colleagues are treating customers properly. They also supervise checkouts when there arent enough Team Leaders and Supervisors in.

A shop floor manager does things like scheduling too although there arent as many staff on their departments, they are also responsible for ensuring as much delivered stock is on te shelf as possible, all tickets are accurate and correct, they are also responsible for things like waste and chasing up lines that arent coming in reguarly.

Then youve got jobs like the commercial manager (responsible for all the administration) and the HR manager. I think the job is very different depending on which department you get.

Latest

Trending

Trending