Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

Watch this thread
BitOfAnAlchy
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
For English Lit, we've been given books to read for wider reading, which we need to put together a sheet of paper on, with information under the headings "Horror and reality of war", "Relationships between men and officers", "Presentation of women and relationships" and "Mental health".

I can't stand the book, and i'm really having trouble finding quotes and important parts to put under these headings, any help would be great (:
BitOfAnAlchy
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Anyone, please?
Helie12
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
i loved birdsong and had to do it for my WW1 exam last year. I typed up some quotes which iv attached. Birdsong is the first one, but there are other books there, so maybe it will help too? Let me know if you need any help, it has been ages since I read it and I think I've pretty much forgotten everything I did on it last summer, but I might still be of some use.
Attached files
Cynical Optimist
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
There's loads on horror and reality of war, I'm sure you'll find some good quotes about from his time on the front line. Good book. Bit too much war for me though, not really my thing...
tabbycat1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
I studied Birdsong for my A2 coursework. I didn't like it at first either, but I got into it eventually and ended up really liking it. Stick with it. My cw was about class difference so there's loads of stuff about the soldiers and the officers. Just focus on how the language is different and how the soldiers are treated much worse because they're lower class. There's also loads on the horror of war, if you go to the chapter about the battle of the Somme.
BitOfAnAlchy
Rep:
(Original post by Helie12)
i loved birdsong and had to do it for my WW1 exam last year. I typed up some quotes which iv attached. Birdsong is the first one, but there are other books there, so maybe it will help too? Let me know if you need any help, it has been ages since I read it and I think I've pretty much forgotten everything I did on it last summer, but I might still be of some use.
Thank you very much (:

(Original post by tabbycat1)
I studied Birdsong for my A2 coursework. I didn't like it at first either, but I got into it eventually and ended up really liking it. Stick with it. My cw was about class difference so there's loads of stuff about the soldiers and the officers. Just focus on how the language is different and how the soldiers are treated much worse because they're lower class. There's also loads on the horror of war, if you go to the chapter about the battle of the Somme.
I'll just tough it out, hope it doesn't take too long to be interesting (:
Sinister One
Report 12 years ago
Just thought I'd thank the person who posted the attachment, it's been a real help.
adamsavvy
Report 12 years ago
likewise, that attachment saved my life
austenandmeyerfan
Report 12 years ago
omg that attachment is amazing THANK YOU!!!
(:N>Boy:)
Report 11 years ago
Thanks so much for the attatchment! i have read nion all of them, so its a really good aid!
RoseRequiem
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Thankyou so much for the quotes list, I am studying Birdsong for my AQA AS exam next week and it's a great help! x
pinkpetal
Report 11 years ago
they're really great! Thanks
amybeexo
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Another thank you for the attachment!
Boycj005
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Another thank you got the attatchement!! you saved my coursework!!
Potiron
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
From what I remember, it gets a lot better after the first 100 or so pages, so stick with it
HarrietAddy
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Thank you so much for the handout! Really helps! And I agree, at first, I found it tedious but when you get into it, it gets better.
Arezo Z
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi everyone, i need some help on Bridsong. I have to answer a question ' how does faulks makes readers feel sympathy for madam Azaires? can anyone help please.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.11%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.22%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.56%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (21)
23.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.11%

Watched Threads