Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    After being accepted onto the multimedia technology and design course at Kent i am now a bit concerned that coming form an A-level backround where i studied Film, Media, English and Photography that I will not have enough experience in the kind of software I will be using. I have allmost no experience of photoshop and illustrator or with any kind of flash animation.

I was very impressed with the work I was shown at my interview but feel that since I did not study graphic design I will be very much behind the rest of my class at the start of term.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this course and knows if I will need to work on my photoshop/illustrator skills prior or will the courses cater for unexperienced people like myself

ReputationRep:
    hi i applied to the same course n im hopin to start in sept, if ure worried about ure skills, then practise on those programs before we start in september.

and you had to have an interview for the course or do u mean open day?

ReputationRep:
    oops didnt mean to put interview down, I got an unconditional without one. I have downloaded photoshop and can use that with some confidence but i really have no clue where to start with any flash design and havnt attempted illustrator yet.

have you much experience with these programs?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've also accepted Multimedia design and technology at Kent starting this September

I'm studying English, Art & Design, Media Studies and ICT and there's some stuff I barely know anything about, like 3d modelling. I'm good with the basics in image software programs like Fireworks but I have no idea what level we're expected to be either. I've never used Photoshop but they're all pretty similar. I also know basic Flash and coding because we had to make a Flash project in ICT. It's really not that hard to pick up - doing the animating is the easiest bit, it's getting used to the technical vocab like "keyframes", "motion tweening" etc which can get confusing!

The only modelling I've done was at GCSE level and although I don't remember in the slightest how I did it, it really wasn't difficult either. And...I can't remember what else is on the course! I'm going to the open day in a couple of weeks time but I don't know if it's a general one of course/are specific. I will try and find out what's expected of us then

ReputationRep:
    Just got back for the open day!
    You don't need any knowledge on anything really- because you don't need specific A-Levels/subjects to do the course it's assumed you have no knowledge of coding/programs we will use etc. We're taught all of the basics in the first year, then get more detailed each year.

ReputationRep:
    Im studying the same
    just know photoshop really, they did say they dint expect any experience with the software they use so should't be really a problem

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I know a little bit on photoshop, and a fair amount on flash. Theyre not really anything to worry about, I think it's assumed that we're all gonna be newbies at it and they'll help us get to an even starting point. If anyone wants any help or tips on flash, just message me, I don't mind helping a bit

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, im doing comp science at kent uni, and some of my good mates are doing the course you are thinking of doing, if you have any specifics you can ask me and i will ask em if you want?

all i know is you have a fairly hard maths module and you also have a unit where you have to stick photos in books :teeth:, plus a couple of programming modules which is cool

its a fun course tho apparently

ReputationRep:
    i know this is a bit of topic, but ur sig is awesssumm

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be about the same level so that's good

They've taken out the Maths unit for this year which I'm very happy about because it bores me so much. I think it was a unit on digital photography they replaced it with- something like that anyway, much more fun!

University open days

• University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Postgraduate
    Tue, 5 Mar '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.