So overweight... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I weigh nearly 30 stone.... and have always struggled with a weight problem. Im going to uni in september but already had to take an interruption from a uni course a few years ago because I found it hard to integrate with people because they took one look and ran a mile, so i got depressed, etc, etc, and ended up where i am now. I really dont know what to do, im looking at september as a fresh start, and just hoping i can lose weight then and sort my life out, but im scared it'll all go wrong again.
wholenewworld
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I weigh nearly 30 stone.... and have always struggled with a weight problem. Im going to uni in september but already had to take an interruption from a uni course a few years ago because I found it hard to integrate with people because they took one look and ran a mile, so i got depressed, etc, etc, and ended up where i am now. I really dont know what to do, im looking at september as a fresh start, and just hoping i can lose weight then and sort my life out, but im scared it'll all go wrong again.

Hello, this is what I always advise for people looking to lose weight:

'You want to accelerate your metabolism. Eat as many times a day as you possibly can. 10 times if you can. But always small portions: portions that never leave you famished, just make your hunger go away, and if you feel that you could eat/ feel like eating a bit more, just stop yourself. Eat JUST ENOUGH. Not how much you want, just enough so you are not hungry. You can eat again in an hour, but never binge eat.

Do not eat sweets or pasta or whitebread. Just wholemeal bread. Bit of rice.
Food combining is what helps you lose weight, no carbs and protein together. (No meat and potatoes together that is) And 3 hours between carbs and protein. So first 3 hours: bread and vegetables. Then perhaps do some exercises: after that chicken and vegetables.
Eat plenty plenty and even more vegetables. Before eating meat, which should be lean, white meat, have some apple to help you digest. Apples always on their own and before meals.
Fruit only by themselves and in the morning, not in the evening. In the evening it is better to have protein.

Exercise for at least 20 mins at once, afterwards eat protein. But again do not binge eat. Eat just what is enough. You can eat again in an hour again. You need to eat after exercises.

Drink lots of water.

Do not ever think about making yourself vomit or taking laxatives or going off food..
If you have problems losing weight, make sure you have no digestive problems and that your thyroid functions well. '
Em_maK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go to your Dr.
apricot
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you male or female?

Well why dont you start a fitness routine now, find friends to go with then you will feel comfortable to join some sport clubs then you can carry on losing the weight. Eating the right thing is important as well. At uni ppl are of all shapes and sizes so try and not let it get to you
Walrus of Love
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You have a couple of months before September. In that time you could lose a good amount of weight by:
Eating less calories than you burn
Eating less foods with saturated fat and grease
Eat much smaller meals but have (healthy) snacks in between
Avoid alcohol and soft drinks. Drink mainly water and fruit drinks.
Doing exercises (search google for home exercises), including aerobic ones such as cycling (which is a lot easier and more interesting than jogging)

All you require is the motivation
Andylol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
30 st?! that's 3 of me... oh dear

I got no advice for you, as I've never needed to lose any weight... But GL!
Hula129
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by apricot)
Are you male or female?

Well why dont you start a fitness routine now, find friends to go with then you will feel comfortable to join some sport clubs then you can carry on losing the weight. Eating the right thing is important as well. At uni ppl are of all shapes and sizes so try and not let it get to you

its obv really affecting you and i fully support what people are saying.... but im sure your a lovely person also.... if people dont accept you for who you are then they dont deserve you as a friend...
good luck for uni im sure you'll have a wicked time x
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Walrus of Love)
You have a couple of months before September.
Couple of months? it's 6 months away?

LOL @ the reaction
happy-and-lost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think as you're in such a high risk category you should consult your doctor, who will refer you to a dietician. A sudden change in diet and lifestyle could put too much stress on your heart, so listen to a professional rather than us lot!
Aack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
See if you can get a friend to go to the gym with you - easier than trying to go it alone and motivate yourself - It can be good fun too.

Swimming is good, try and build up each visit the amount of lengths you can do.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go and see your doctor. Good luck
WolfSong2000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Apparently if you're very overweight, going to the gym is a bad thing as it puts too much stress on the heart, and would end up causing more damage than it would be doing good...just try to cut down on your calorie intake and g for walks - "power walk" in short bursts to get your heart rate up, etc.
r-dragon2k8
Report 9 years ago
mate mate if u actually care about ur weight go do something about it, it may seem harsh but no point talking instead of doing, i understand ur expressing urself but doing nothing wont make u lose weight

advice: eat healthy, dont eat greesy ****** food, go gym and steam room, jog alot and u should be fine

and no, starving ur self wont make u lose weight it will only make u tired
happydinosaur
Report 9 years ago
It will be a drastic change in your lifestyle so you need proper support. Go have a chat with your GP and get things moving. If you are really desperate for a support network you could try out something like weight watchers/slimmers world. I know they aren't for everyone but if you need a network of support to keep you track with losing weight then something like this could eventually work for you after you've talked to your GP of course.
ProgressDesired
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Do you want to lose weight though?

If you do, you will need to make it a priority. You have to understand that it's not just a temporary thing you do until you weight what you'd like to weight, and then go back to normal. To lose weight you need to adjust your whole lifestyle permanently to a more healthier one. If you really want to lose weight you need to put it up there on the pedestal as your number one objective and psych yourself to go after it every day.

But if you need something to help you out, ask your GP to get you "Reductil" - it makes you not hungry. I know a few people who benefited greatly from it.

Michael
Frenchflower
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go and see your G.P. They can prescribe you appetite supressants and appointments with a dietician. You can be monitored safely as you lose weight and told all the right things to do so that you don't overdo it with excessive exercise or anything. If you're as motivated as you seem to be then i'm sure you'll succeed in losing it! Good luck!
fran.ha
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be honest, don't worry about all these 'quick fixes' and 'you should only eat this or this and never do that' type thing. Just eat balanced and exercise enough you feel comfortable with.

I have recently lost a stone. I weigh 14 stone (so bear in mind the more you weigh the more you will lose).

All I have done is adjusted the way I eat. I cut my meal portions down, stopped snacking on sugary stuff. I also cut out bread and cakey things because I know they bloat me and make me gain weight.

Its really not difficult if you can find the 'switch' to become determined. If you want to message me about it I can help you out. If you make a few gradual changes to your diet you will do better and keep the weight off. If you are worried about messaging me, don't be. I don't judge.
Not Invented Yet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd agree with the people who are saying see your GP. They can help you as much as you need - if you're very self-motivated they may just give you some pointers and let you get on with it, or if you need more support you can get eating plans and stuff, even tablets to reduce appetite or inhibit fat intake, although that's a last resort. The bigger you are, the faster the weight comes off (at least for the first month or so), so you'll be amazed how much you can lose quickly and healthily.
Undiscovery
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Andylol)

You're 10 stone? That's kind of underweight for a 17 year old, no?

EDIT: Just noticed you're Chinese
Andylol
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jonboyyork)
You're 10 stone? That's kind of underweight for a 17 year old, no?

EDIT: Just noticed you're Chinese

If 10st is underweigt then god knows what you call 'normal' I am no where nearunderweight
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (173)
18.68%
No (560)
60.48%
Not really bothered about them (193)
20.84%

Watched Threads