Academic intelligence and success/wealth Watch

Poshtotty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Would you say that there was quite a strong correlation between those who thrive academically and those who are successful and wealthy?

I used to think that this was the case but I've noticed that many of the most successful people are business men and women who haven't had the best education.

But then again, I would think that those who were academically excellent would take all the best jobs and be successful and rich.
Aack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To a certain extent, yes. They certainly stand a better chance in life.

However, two names spring to mind: Alan Sugar and Richard Branson......
Asteron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Define intelligence?

If you mean getting good A-levels and a degree, then no - I do not think that necessary correlates to wealth/success.
Poshtotty
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Asteron)
Define intelligence?
I'm referring to academic intelligence. Getting high grades and performing at a high level consistently.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They're not always likely to get rich quick. In reality alot of "academics" are too pussy to tread over others to climb the career ladder. Not me though.
WoWZa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Those who make the millions seem to have two common traits: They are confident and they are "different". I think it is reasonable to assume that those from well educated backgrounds will secure good jobs, but there's a long way between having a secure job within a 100k salary to making upwards of 250k for example.
yvonnay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yes and no really. If you're intelligent you're more likely to excel better in whatever career you choose, say Law which is really competitive but then again I think having a business mind and being intelligent are two different things.
DisgruntledMoth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by WoWZa)
Those who make the millions seem to have two common traits: They are confident and they are "different". I think it is reasonable to assume that those from well educated backgrounds will secure good jobs, but there's a long way between having a secure job within a 100k salary to making upwards of 250k for example.
I think those who 'make the millions' aren't necessarily "different". Only the famous ones in the public eye are.
gyyy2807
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Intelligence doesn't have to be academic. The likes of Branson and Sugar probably have "business intelligence" rather than academic intelligence, which is still very useful in the real world. But generally, yes, academic intelligence gets you good grades, good uni, then good job with good pay, etc.
cook my sock
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Poshtotty)
Would you say that there was quite a strong correlation between those who thrive academically and those who are successful and wealthy?

I used to think that this was the case but I've noticed that many of the most successful people are business men and women who haven't had the best education.

But then again, I would think that those who were academically excellent would take all the best jobs and be successful and rich.
i think education is getting more related to success than say 20 years ago, this is because there is a big demand for jobs and so employers now have the pick of the crop. where as 20 years ago anyone could become anything and become successful, as long as you have the right frame of mind. i think the fact that more and more people are going to uni, shows that they want to increase there chances of being successful and wealthy. :cool:
however if you don't go to uni or arn't that good academically this doesn't mean you will be unsuccessful. its a good job lol
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't really think academic intelligence guarantees a good career. I think it ultimately boils down to confidence, perseverence and a good eye for opportunity and business, which does not always comes with high grades.
libertine861
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've read about alot of entrepreneurs and many of them don't have an academic background. I think the Calvin Coolidge quote on persistence sums it up well:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

Interestingly, alot of entrepreneurs/millionaires share the view that the money isn't even the prime motivator. They don't deny that money is important but they are usually doing it for other reasons i.e. it's something they are passionate about or they enjoy creating businesses. Many create a business because there was something they needed in their own life but it wasn't available so they filled the gap in the market.

I'm sure there are many academics who go into their chosen careers for the love of the subject and because it's something they're passionate about, rather than the financial rewards.
ilikepiesandstuff
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Probably is a link, but its probably more down to 'experiance' that gets people better jobs.
Palladio
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't believe it guarantees a good career however it's the first step towards it. I do however think that mentioning the few people who made millions on their own kinda irrelevant because they're a very small minority.
calvinuk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd say ruthlessness and the ability to sell one's self have more of a positive correlation with success/wealth than that of academic intelligence.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not all all, no. Indeed, the most intelligent people I know all seem to be destined towards not earning a great deal: mostly in science, academia etc.

I think the key to success and wealth is constantly striving towards it and persistence when faced with set backs. Unfortunately, I'm not particularly good at either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (61)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (120)
39.34%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.66%

Watched Threads