The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
terpineol
That could be fun.

The 2CV gearbox is supposedly good for up to 50bhp, so if I could persuade it to make sweet love with the KTM engine that combination could require relatively little fettling to make work.

Alternatively, one could have one for the front wheels, and another for the rear wheels.

Umm, the KTM produces around 85bhp with a shed load of torque.

I would be careful, but if you used chain and sprocket, some of the power/torque wil be lost in the chain so you might get away with it.
Reply 41
Lara C.
THAT gets you excited???? :eek:

620cc, single cylinder!

You should see the size of the throw and piston!

The engine is really simple, but with high performance parts, it is making 85bhp. Not bad for 620cc and one piston...
gbduo
Umm, the KTM produces around 85bhp with a shed load of torque.

I would be careful, but if you used chain and sprocket, some of the power/torque wil be lost in the chain so you might get away with it.

Looks like I misgoogled then.

A 2CV which two of those would be absolutely ******* insane.
gbduo
620cc, single cylinder!

The engine is really simple, but with high performance parts, it is making 85bhp. Not bad for 620cc and one piston...

With 602cc and two pistons I'm only tickling 29bhp, so I would have to agree that a 620 single cylinder throwing out that sort of performance is sex on a bicycle.
Reply 44
terpineol
Looks like I misgoogled then.

A 2CV which two of those would be absolutely ******* insane.

I might be wrong! But last dyno was @85bhp i think.
gbduo
I might be wrong! But last dyno was @85bhp i think.

Awesome stuff.

A bike powered 2CV shall have to be done at some point. Any idea what bike powered cars are like to insure?

Would I be liable for any BMW drivers having strokes? (even with the standard set up I've managed to nab a few in the last year, they rarely take it well)
Reply 46
gbduo
it is making 85bhp.

i prefer car engines, my bone stock 1.4 produces 101bhp and it doesnt sound like a fair ground engine :rolleyes:
Reply 47
Lara C.
i prefer car engines, my bone stock 1.4 produces 101bhp and it doesnt sound like a fair ground engine :rolleyes:

It also has 4x as many cylinders!

That is the sound a 4 stroke makes...

I think a car engine might be a bit big and heavy for a motocross bike!
Reply 48
small things please small people lol
Reply 49
i'm 6ft1 and weigh 14st!?

And i work on cruise liners!

Small?
Reply 50
im sure your the pick of the pack Graham;
lol
Reply 51
I have to carry the soap everywhere I go!

And eugh, they are ratings, I am a officer :tongue:
Reply 52
gbduo
agreed with the welding, but it will work with the socket.

I did this method at the weekend, worked absolutely fine and that was on a racing KTM engine!

Are you working on racing sumps for them to be so thin? Even the KTM sump is like 6mm thick to prevent it grounding with baffles and triangulation...it ain't gonna bend!

A standard sump is likely to be made from 16 or 18 guage metal. so, we're talking 1 to 2 mm if that.

We are talking about a bog standard car, not a custom built race engine.

In any case, hammering sockets over nuts isn't a clever thing to do in any case. It damages the socket. There are much better methods to try first before resorting to bodges.
and of course the irony is the 'adjustble spanner' illustrated isn't it;s a set of stilsons - a small stilly would do the job as would griding flats or cutting a slot or if tere' enough material on the plug chiselling the sod off with a cold chisel and a lump hammer
gbduo
620cc, single cylinder!

coimpared to what? a slow speed marine diesel where you inspect the cylinder bores by climbing in through the inlet port ?
terpineol
I remember having a conversation with a mate who used to do a lot of motocross about how KTM apparently have a strange power banding on the throttle position so it all comes at you in the last few degrees of throttle movement.

Random point of the day.

I'm horribly tempted to get a motorbike, but as a medic that would be on a par with taking up smoking and tree surgery.

plenty of peopel who work in healthcare ride ...

among my own firendsand acquaintances i can think of 3 A+E consultants a coupel of consultant gas-passers, 1 Air ambulance paramedic, 1 tech and about half a dozen A+E or critical care nurses who all ride
Reply 56
zippyRN
coimpared to what? a slow speed marine diesel where you inspect the cylinder bores by climbing in through the inlet port ?

Huh?

Compared to most 620cc engines which are 4 cylinder in bikes, or usually a V-Twin.

You don't normally get a 620cc single cylinder.

The throw and size of the piston is huge, because it is 620cc but equally it is all really simple, it has OHC, but it runs on carbs, everything is self contained and it is just a joy to work on. You can rebuild the entire engine in 4 hours!

I don't know why you were referring to marine diesels.
Reply 57
JC.
A standard sump is likely to be made from 16 or 18 guage metal. so, we're talking 1 to 2 mm if that.

We are talking about a bog standard car, not a custom built race engine.

In any case, hammering sockets over nuts isn't a clever thing to do in any case. It damages the socket. There are much better methods to try first before resorting to bodges.

This is a sump of a Ford Zetec engine:

That looks considerably thicker than 1-2mm thick! Plus the triangulation on top/bottom. It is not going to bend by tapping a socket onto it.

If it was 1-2mm thick, how can you explain the sump plug having a depth of at least 10mm? There is some serious redundency in material!

A Sump Plug:

If the sump were 1-2mm thick, then why on earth have a thread design which has a pitch of 1mm? It would never work.

If it was 1-2mm thick, the thread would be very fine. Sump plug threads, are not.

Finally, if the sump was 1-2mm thermal expansion from the heat of the oil would distort the sump and it would sag in the middle.

Sumps are not 1-2mm thick. They are usually 6-8mm thick to protect them from grounding.
Reply 58
tin sumps are usually 2-4mm thick, alloy sumps are usually 10mm+.
Reply 59
Plug in question has a torx head.
They are normally very thin so good luck hammering anything over it or grinding flats into it without trimming the sump too.

"why have a long thread" Principally because a sump will have a nut welded to it internally.

Hammering sockets over things has always been a stupid thing to do. It damages the tool.
I have NEVER had the need to do this.

Latest