Turn on thread page Beta

The average joe morality thread. watch

• View Poll Results: What makes something "wrong"?
    When an action harms another person.
    41.86%
    When it goes against Gods words.
    4.65%
    Anyfing like killing people init!
    6.98%
    When the law says it is.
    2.33%
    Morality is nothing more than a subjective social contract.
    44.19%

ReputationRep:
    From observation, the average British person has a very predictable view on morality.

You're in "General Discussion", so the likelihood is that you fall into this typical view. I'm not saying that theres anything wrong with that and you probably don't even realise the lack of understanding you may have about the basis of morality. I'm also aware that there are many academic and political/philosophical people on here who this doesn't apply to.

Can you answer these questions?

- What makes something "right" or "wrong"?
    - Who decides?
    - Is murder wrong and why?

Please take the time to use the poll also.
    Abuse and accusations of arrogance/trolling/stereotyping/ignorance are appreciated and will be replied to accordingly.

I'm right, you're wrong.

I'm big, you're small.

And there's nothing you can do about it.

ReputationRep:
    I beg your pardon? You're saying a person is more likely to be an "average joe" just because they're looking at GD? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    I beg your pardon? You're saying a person is more likely to be an "average joe" just because they're looking at GD? :confused:
    Yes. Well by average joe i'm referring to their views on morality nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edanon)
    Yes. Well by average joe i'm referring to their views on morality nothing more.
    So the "more moral" people would be in D&D, right? Have you ever considered that a person might now and again look at more than one forum?

ReputationRep:
    Any of the voters care to explain their reasoning?

It's a lot harder to back up your claims than it is to vote for them.

ReputationRep:
    Whoever is picking the final poll choice, do you really feel the need to flex your academic muscle based on a ridiculous OP?

ReputationRep:
    Morality is entirely subjective. If there is one thing I've learnt as I've aged, it is that there are pretty much no absolutes outside the realm of science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    So the "more moral" people would be in D&D, right? Have you ever considered that a person might now and again look at more than one forum?
    You've helped in proving my observation by saying this. Why do you assume that i think D&D people are "more moral"? Why are you assuming that i think the average joe is less moral? I do not hold that opinion.

It also seems pretty obvious that the majority of people on this forum do not visit D&D very often if at all. I'm not saying they are worse for it... some people are just more interested in debate and some are not.

ReputationRep:
    For me, anything that harms society as a whole is immoral, whilst any act which benefits society is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    Whoever is picking the final poll choice, do you really feel the need to flex your academic muscle based on a ridiculous OP?
    Come on.. it's not that ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chruchill)
    Morality is entirely subjective. If there is one thing I've learnt as I've aged, it is that there are pretty much no absolutes outside the realm of science.
    Would you ever be willing to budge on the idea that science is absolute?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    For me, anything that harms society as a whole is immoral, whilst any act which benefits society is good.
    Why is it immoral and what is your definition of immoral?

ReputationRep:
    Well average joe is ****-tard who knows nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    Well average joe is ****-tard who knows nothing.
    I hope that wasn't under the assumption that i'm average joe and this is my thread, for your sake.

ReputationRep:
    You should have put something about the intentions behond an action (kantian), and the consequences of a n action - both give different moral standings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solid_Snake_100)
    You should have put something about the intentions behond an action (kantian), and the consequences of a n action - both give different moral standings.
    I know but i could only think of 5 when i made it.

Besides, i'm only interested in two types of people. Moralists and Relativists. The people you talk of fall into the first catogery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edanon)
    Why is it immoral and what is your definition of immoral?
    That is my definition of immoral. To me its society as a whole that's important, not individuals and as such my views on right and wrong depend on their consequences to society rather than individuals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    That is my definition of immoral. To me its society as a whole that's important, not individuals and as such my views on right and wrong depend on their consequences to society rather than individuals.
    But what are you views on right and wrong based upon? Why is it wrong to harm society and why is it right to help it?

You say society is important but why? If someone disagrees and harms society are they wrong or are you lacking a base from which to base your accussations of wrong and right?

There is no such thing as right and wrong. Only good and bad actions in situations. Murder is normally bad but not always.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.