i heard that for this new specification oxford university wants 3A*s , is it true ? Watch

This discussion is closed.
ptma91
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
what if people are predicted to just 1 A*s although the final grade is 3A*s ?because by the time when university offers place there wont be final grade
TheMeister
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To the thread title, no.
-Christiana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No.
No way.
Not yet.
braceface
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
3 A*s? Holy crap! Where did you hear that?
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
JayAyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:dots:
pf1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i heard that for this new specification oxford university wants 3A*s , is it true ?
No, obviously.
Chike_Obi_soulman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nooooooooooooooooooooo
zafaru123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
on monday i was talking to someone from christ church admissions, and she said oxford are gonna keep their offer AAA for 1/2 years. i also managed to speak to someone from cambridge who said their offer will be A*AA
gernumblies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ptma91)
what if people are predicted to just 1 A*s although the final grade is 3A*s ?because by the time when university offers place there wont be final grade
No, that's not true. We had a schools liason lady come from Cambridge to talk about Oxford and Cambridge, and she said that some colleges have already decided they want at least one A*, some are going to wait and see what happens, and others aren't going to demand them. :yep:

Personally, I don't think the A* at A level thing will last too long (knowing my luck, they'll get rid of them before my sister does A levels).

Don't worry about it.
piiineapple
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
might be wrong here since i haven't looked into it, but isn't the new A* the equivalent of 90 0r 95% UMS which is what Oxbridge look for anyway? if so, why would it matter anyway
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not true, plus you can't be predicted an A* at A-Level yet anyway, since the A* has just been added this year teachers don't actually know which students might get an A* so they are only allowed to predict As.
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by piiineapple)
might be wrong here since i haven't looked into it, but isn't the new A* the equivalent of 90 0r 95% UMS which is what Oxbridge look for anyway? if so, why would it matter anyway
yea they look for it.. but if you naff up your june exams the offer still says AAA so if you get that you're ok. then dont usually add like ums percentages to offer conditions as far as I'm aware... and if they do that's just anal =D
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no.

as you may have gathered ^^
Emmalouise1990
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I heard that Cambridge/Oxford now want A* at A Level to study Medicine, wheras before it was just AAA. Probably just hearsay though, since it isn't actually on their website. If Cambridge and Oxford only specify A's, then surely other uni's won't ask for A*'s too?
Playa_h8r
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That cannot be true, because in AS the highest possible grade is A, only in A2 you can get A*.

So Oxbridge cannot be asking for A* until it is possible to get it in AS level.

Therefore they cannot request an impossible predicted grade.
Unless they ask it in a conditional offer.
Andy the Anarchist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gernumblies)
No, that's not true. We had a schools liason lady come from Cambridge to talk about Oxford and Cambridge, and she said that some colleges have already decided they want at least one A*, some are going to wait and see what happens, and others aren't going to demand them. :yep:

Personally, I don't think the A* at A level thing will last too long (knowing my luck, they'll get rid of them before my sister does A levels).

Don't worry about it.
It would be interesting to have different colleges specifying different requirements.

Might make the "Which college is easiest to get into" game worse though.
gernumblies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
It would be interesting to have different colleges specifying different requirements.

Might make the "Which college is easiest to get into" game worse though.
Yeah, it would be interesting, but she didn't say. Most likely it will be the seriously high demand colleges.
Andy the Anarchist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gernumblies)
Yeah, it would be interesting, but she didn't say. Most likely it will be the seriously high demand colleges.
I.E not Mansfield
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wrong. It wants 4 A*s.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads