Giving advice to my girlfriend Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Well next year we both have to go to college or sixth form and I've been giving her some advice on where she should go. She has applied to a few schools and I basically recommended the best one she applied to because, well, it's the best one. She wants to go to another one, which is pretty bad compared to the other one she has applied to and as her boyfriend I obviously want her to succeed and I feel as though going to the best one she possibly can is the best way to do it. I mean I know some people who go to the school she wants to go to and they're not that smart yet they're some of the brightest at the schools. My girlfriend is quite smart and so I don't want her to go to a college below her standards and for her to start falling behind or relaxing too much because she's at the top because it would be only at the top of a bad school.

The thing is, I don't want to give her so much advice and basically force her to go anywhere. Afterall it is her choice and I respect that but obviously I also don't want to see her do badly because she picked the worse school. So what would you guys do? Would you continue to advise her on going to the better school or leave it up to her and just to be supportive or wherever she wants to go?
lalala31
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Has she got a particular reason for preferring the one that isn't as good?
Melz0r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What are her reasons for wanting to go to the "less good" school?
MichaelG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
a 'worse' school doesn't make her any less of a student. A level success is almost all down the individual effort, not the environment around them in my opinion. I do understand where you're coming from, but it would be unwise to force her to do anything. Let her do what she wishes, its her life! good luck
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by lalala31)
Has she got a particular reason for preferring the one that isn't as good?
I honestly don't know. I think it may be because of a few reasons but I'm not 100% sure of any:

1. They do Mandarin in the "less good" school and she knows the language well and enjoys learning more about it but I have told her how if she even wants to get into a top uni (which she does and is capable of because she is smart) they don't really consider home languages at A-level (from what I've heard) so it would only improve her linguistic skills but not really chances of getting into a top uni.

2. It's closer but not even by much, maybe 10-15 mins but both take 1 hour-ish so it doesn't make a huge difference.
lalala31
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I would say you just explain to her that you're concerned because you want the best for her, but don't push it. If she's made up her mind then it's her choice, and like someone else said doing well depends on the student, not the institue, yeah sure some places help you to get better results but if she puts the effort in she should be able to do just as well =)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1111)
79.07%
Leave (294)
20.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed