Sheffield Vs Leicester Watch

davinia341
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Just wanted to know peoples opinions on which med school is the 'best'. I really liked it at leicester (stil waiting to see if I have an offer though), but my form tutor keeps telling me that i should go sheffield. As it has a better reputation.

Sheffield or Leicester??
*MJ*
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you going or your tutor?...
Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by davinia341)
Just wanted to know peoples opinions on which med school is the 'best'. I really liked it at leicester (stil waiting to see if I have an offer though), but my form tutor keeps telling me that i should go sheffield. As it has a better reputation.

Sheffield or Leicester??
If you preferred Leicester then go to Leicester. Reputation shouldn't be important when it comes to where you'll be studying for the next 5/6 years.
Alex D
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As it has a better reputation.
Your teacher, like most teacher's when it comes to medical school, is talking complete ********. The only difference in 'reputation' is that Sheffield is Russell group while Leicester is '1994 group' (both of which will have a minute, if any, impact on your undergraduate education). I might be biased as I held an offer from Leicester last year but that is my preference. I think it's an under-rated university that has phenomenal teaching (this has been reflected in it's 23/24 score for medical teaching). However, Sheffield also seems to be an excellent medical school, so the best advice I can give you is go where you think you'll be happiest and where you'll enjoy yourself the most, and from your post it seems to be that Leicester is your preference (good choice).
Toiletpaper8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hygeia)
If you preferred Leicester then go to Leicester. Reputation shouldn't be important when it comes to where you'll be studying for the next 5/6 years.
True. Whilst reputation shouldn't be important, it's unfortunate that it is important to most people.

OP, I prefer Sheffield by the way. Nicer area.
El-Taji
Report 9 years ago
Leicster!!!!!
FairyNuff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sheffield!!!! its so nice
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Also, unless I'm mistaken, Sheffield is to a large extent PBL whereas Leicester isn't.
rosieee91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Leicester is looooovely. :yep:
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Indeed, a second Luton if there ever was one.
Billy_no_mates
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Leicester!!!!!!!!!! Best uni ever in my opinion lol. I fell in love with it at the openday, OP have you been to Leicester? if not, you're not really giving it a fair chance by going on 'reputation', but if you are going by reputation:
http://skorcareer.com.my/blog/10-top...09/2008/06/16/
How do you like them apples? 7th Please god let me get into leicester!!!! lol
Alex D
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Toiletpaper8)
Indeed, a second Luton if there ever was one.
:nah: I live not too far away from Sheffield and have visited Leicester a few times and Leicester is the nicer place IMHO.
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Billy_no_mates)
Leicester!!!!!!!!!! Best uni ever in my opinion lol. I fell in love with it at the openday, OP have you been to Leicester? if not, you're not really giving it a fair chance by going on 'reputation', but if you are going by reputation:
http://skorcareer.com.my/blog/10-top...09/2008/06/16/
How do you like them apples? 7th Please god let me get into leicester!!!! lol
that means nothing. some noob just copied and pasted that from the Guardian league tables.
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
that means nothing. some noob just copied and pasted that from the Guardian league tables.
Well said.
Billy_no_mates
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Toiletpaper8)
Well said.
My point was that reputation means nothing, you're teachers say one thing and this league table says another, and if you find another league table, it will again give you a different order for the best.

Edit: sorry, you're not even the thread starter lol, but yeh, that was my point
Tomber
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I chose Leicester directly over Sheffield twice (undergrad and post-grad) largely because the surroundings are more pleasant here. Some of our Halls of residence are just in a different league. There's nothing to choose between them academically, especially for medicine. They both have pretty equivalent strengths and weaknesses. I just wish we had the University Arms in Leicester rather than Sheffield, I love that pub.
Lu-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Research well into the courses at both. If you want any info on the course at Leicester, just PM me
davinia341
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by *MJ*)
Are you going or your tutor?...
haha very funny!

My heart sayin leicester but my heads saying sheffield. Just have to see if I get in now...its been such a long wait(mid of dec to now!)

But thanx for all the GOOD advice and opinions. Much appreciated!
*MJ*
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
haha very funny!

My heart sayin leicester but my heads saying sheffield. Just have to see if I get in now...its been such a long wait(mid of dec to now!)

But thanx for all the GOOD advice and opinions. Much appreciated!
Personally I would Leicester...

Better city, a student city to be totally honest and also a very good reputation.

Good luck with it...
terpineol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Leicester is supposedly awesome for a curry.

As for reputation in general terms neither have a fantastic reputation, but for medicine its neither here nor there really. I would focus on small differences between the courses and where you will learn best in deciding where to go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (59)
30.1%
No - I got the required grades (114)
58.16%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.73%

Watched Threads