Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey guys!

I have applied at the following universities :

Bristol - Aeronautical.
Bath
Manchester
Liverpool
And Sheffield.

I wanted to go to Bristol, but they haven't replied yet, and I cant wait for so long, as I ve heard tht the longer you wait, the lesser the chance to get the accommodation you want?

Anyway.. I might be canceling Bristol from my UCAS, and will be left with the other 4.

I am going to place sheffield as my insurance, but am confused about my firm choice.

Bath, Manchester, Liverpool all seem great, so I am very confused, so want to know what you guys prefer and why!

=)

Thanks !
Student#1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Someone, please ?
IndiePixie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wait til you get all the decisions in .. you will be fine on the accommodation front and assuming you picked the choices you did for a reason then its best to have all decisions in before you decide where will be best for you. Hang tight!
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Student#1)

Anyway.. I might be canceling Bristol from my UCAS, and will be left with the other 4.
You asked, so here it is. Cancelling your application to your favourite university course is a stupid idea, especially for such a reason as that. Getting in accommodation applications early is completely overblown; it is far more important to be at the right university, and the advantage in early application is very uncertain.
Tyrotoxism
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You would withdraw from your top choice university because you're afraid you may not get the accommodation of your choice?

Oh wait

"as I ve heard tht the longer you wait"

LOL. You don't even know for sure?
Student#1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tyrotoxism)
You would withdraw from your top choice university because you're afraid you may not get the accommodation of your choice?

Oh wait

"as I ve heard tht the longer you wait"

LOL. You don't even know for sure?

I don't. But I am not sure if Bristol is my top choice now. Cause I want to do Aerospace Engg. now, but they offer only Aeronautical.. so that's why I wanted to know which one was the best out of the 3 for firm.

Thanks.
Tyrotoxism
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't. But I am not sure if Bristol is my top choice now. Cause I want to do Aerospace Engg. now, but they offer only Aeronautical.. so that's why I wanted to know which one was the best out of the 3 for firm.

Thanks.
Bristol has the best reputation, but of course that doesn't mean much if you prefer a different course.
Student#1
Rep:
?
Bristol has the best reputation, but of course that doesn't mean much if you prefer a different course.
You are amazingly right!! I am going to keep Bristol as my first choice

THANK YOU SO MUCH for stopping from making a hasty decision
Tyrotoxism
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You are amazingly right!! I am going to keep Bristol as my first choice

THANK YOU SO MUCH for stopping from making a hasty decision
Np problem. Bristol is a great university, academics aside and included.

By the way, in-case you haven't seen the league table for Aeronautical Engineering:

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...=30&y=10&sub=1
Student#1
Rep:
?

By the way, in-case you haven't seen the league table for Aeronautical Engineering:

But isn't Bath at a higher rank with 5*A research rating?

But I've heard about Bristol in news, like their students always find something new, so I guess it should be good..
Peel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But isn't Bath at a higher rank with 5*A research rating?

But I've heard about Bristol in news, like their students always find something new, so I guess it should be good..
Rankings are dynamics - they'll change from year to year, and this is why many people disregard them. What you can look at with league tables is where a university places generally over a couple of years. You shouldn't be put off by the fact that Bath is placed ahead of Bristol this year; what this shows is the universities are closely matched in the criteria the league tables are using; but this might not match your criteria. In other words, why select a university that's rated higher in one league table, one year, based on very specific criteria, over a university that you've wanted to go to for a long time?

Definately don't withdrawn your application though, since no one really knows how the accomodation works, and a lot of the times hall allocations can seem entirely random. On the topic of aeronautical and aerospace, you'd be best off asking others who have applied for those couses, but I'd imagine that the difference could be quite minor with a difference of say one or two modules in the first and second years, but don't hold me to that as I'm civils!
alexyfoot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

This table is joke btw Loughborough is ranked 10th which is ridiculous. Ask any employer and hes gonna put us in his top 5 for aero (We are more or less on par with Bristol for the 4th place in the country). Bath is above Imperial, GET REAL! These tables are complete mess so thats not something good to use as a reference of course quality. Otherise, yes, Bristol has the reputation for aero engineering. They do some quality research there, which has worldwide influences on the industry. It is certainly the best of the five. I would put Bath in second place and probably Manchester at third on the basis of reputation in the aero industry, not on location and other stuff, which is something to be decided by the applicant's preferences.
and to the OP...in UK courses for aeronautical and aerospace engineering tend not to differ significantly, 1 module per year at most so thats not really a reason not to do aeronautical (UK doesnt have good space agency connections anyway, so you are more likely to lose rather than to gain by doing an aerospace course instead of aeronautical one).
hope that helps.
ah, and to add some clarification. In general if you firm an university offer you are guaranteed accommodation so no worries, just wait for the Bristol offer and if you dont get it then think about where you want to go.
Peel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexyfoot)
This table is joke btw Loughborough is ranked 10th which is ridiculous. Ask any employer and hes gonna put us in his top 5 for aero (We are more or less on par with Bristol for the 4th place in the country). Bath is above Imperial, GET REAL! These tables are complete mess so thats not something good to use as a reference of course quality. Otherise, yes, Bristol has the reputation for aero engineering. They do some quality research there, which has worldwide influences on the industry. It is certainly the best of the five. I would put Bath in second place and probably Manchester at third on the basis of reputation in the aero industry, not on location and other stuff, which is something to be decided by the applicant's preferences.
and to the OP...in UK courses for aeronautical and aerospace engineering tend not to differ significantly, 1 module per year at most so thats not really a reason not to do aeronautical (UK doesnt have good space agency connections anyway, so you are more likely to lose rather than to gain by doing an aerospace course instead of aeronautical one).
hope that helps.
ah, and to add some clarification. In general if you firm an university offer you are guaranteed accommodation so no worries, just wait for the Bristol offer and if you dont get it then think about where you want to go.
Very off-topic, but it's been bugging me for a while. I heard from a friend on your course that you only start fluid mechanics in the second term, and that your course so far has been exactly the same as mechanical except for one or two modules in Aero. Is this true?
alexyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep, we didnt have fluids first term (why does it matter?). We have all types of lfluids and aerodynamics from term two till the end of studies so we will get plenty of it Tbh I dont know the mech eng timetable by heart but so far modules in general were close for the two degrees. There are about 3 or 4 different modules and the teaching and learning methods are quite different even for the same modules as we are in different departments. But thats year 1. In years 2 and 3 (and 4 if MEng) there are even more significant differences. (And I like our degree structure for the first year more than theirs ) out of interest, why do you ask?
Peel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexyfoot)
Yep, we didnt have fluids first term (why does it matter?). We have all types of lfluids and aerodynamics from term two till the end of studies so we will get plenty of it Tbh I dont know the mech eng timetable by heart but so far modules in general were close for the two degrees. There are about 3 or 4 different modules and the teaching and learning methods are quite different even for the same modules as we are in different departments. But thats year 1. In years 2 and 3 (and 4 if MEng) there are even more significant differences. (And I like our degree structure for the first year more than theirs ) out of interest, why do you ask?
Thanks for that info! I was just asking because I found it odd that you started in term two since it's very fundamental to aero and is something I think can be taught quite easily, as well as being incredibly fascinating We've been doing fluids since the beginning of the year here (though considering very different cases to you) and the thought that a civil engineer could know more about fluids than an aeronautical engineer seemed quite bizzare to me. But as you say, you'll cover more fluids later. And I was under the impression mechanical and aeronautical students went to lectures together, but I'm guessing this is wrong?

I guess I'm just interested in how other universities run their course, because all the engineering disciplines here are kept very separate.
alexyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Peel)
Thanks for that info! I was just asking because I found it odd that you started in term two since it's very fundamental to aero and is something I think can be taught quite easily, as well as being incredibly fascinating We've been doing fluids since the beginning of the year here (though considering very different cases to you) and the thought that a civil engineer could know more about fluids than an aeronautical engineer seemed quite bizzare to me. But as you say, you'll cover more fluids later. And I was under the impression mechanical and aeronautical students went to lectures together, but I'm guessing this is wrong?

I guess I'm just interested in how other universities run their course, because all the engineering disciplines here are kept very separate.
Nope different departments. We go to lectures with Autos which are quite nice guys sometimes although as you can imagine we have some different modules from them too They were quite bored the other day when we had Thermodynamics and the lecture was about gas turbine engines performance but I cant help it. We get to share some basic info aero-auto in first year but I am quite happy with that as I love cars anyway I think I like it this way much more than if I was linked for lectures with mech engs as they are really more general and I would feel strange sometimes I guess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed