Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone please inform me of 'typical' paths followed by those who serve the minimum time as a combat officer in the army? I've heard consultancy is popular, but I'm still unsure...

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol followed by an apperance on the Jeremy Kyle show, mostly.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent.

ReputationRep:
    my dads friend was in the army for years, when he came out he went into security or something like that - went back out to afghanistan and was earning 10 times what he was earning doing much less

ReputationRep:
    A guy at work was in the army for 20 years, he has been working as lorry driver...

Granted he only got to Sgt, I think he prefers driving the lorries to being the superviser though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaidus)
    A guy at work was in the army for 20 years, he has been working as lorry driver...

Granted he only got to Sgt, I think he prefers driving the lorries to being the superviser though.
    Only?

Let me stop you there.

ReputationRep:
    Most guys tend to have had enough of combat based stuff by the time they leave. Careers onwards tend to focus on the ancillary skills learned whilst in such as leadership and management....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaidus)

Good for him, though a Sgt isn't a Commissioned Officer, which I think is what the OP might have wanted info on...

ReputationRep:
    There isnt in fact any 'typical' path. I know a bunch of retired officers who have gone into completely random industries. One retired naval COL i know retired and joined a intelligence systems company which design software and machines used in naval warfare. Another retired army BG i know now works as a civilian but in a military related industry and is involved in projects such as promoting various combat systems and strategy to other countries.

Of course for vocations such as Medical Officers and Pilots, they will retire to become Doctors and civilian pilots in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotshot)
    There isnt in fact any 'typical' path. I know a bunch of retired officers who have gone into completely random industries. One retired naval COL i know retired and joined a intelligence systems company which design software and machines used in naval warfare. Another retired army BG i know now works as a civilian but in a military related industry and is involved in projects such as promoting various combat systems and strategy to other countries.

Of course for vocations such as Medical Officers and Pilots, they will retire to become Doctors and civilian pilots in most cases.
    Naval Colonel? You sure about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBazza)
    Naval Colonel? You sure about that?
    Could've been a Marine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotshot)

D'oh!

ReputationRep:
    One of my ex bosses did his ppl at Brize while he was still in and now flies for an oil exploration company based in Canada but works worldwide. Bumped into a mate in town today, he left as a staff sergeant 3 years ago and is now running facilities management for 9 Foreign and Commonwealth Office sites in and around Basra.

ReputationRep:
    I know one who's a geography teacher!

ReputationRep:
    Some UK ones end up in London as 'something in the City'. Some go for management of security firms or other managerial positions. Pretty unlimited possibilities I suppose with Officer Training School behind them and Officer leadership experience behind them. Further university education perhaps for a new career. To have a few years service as an army officer behind you would certainly be character-building. After their army experience they can face a new challenge with discipline and confidence in all types of situations. I have thought about this situation before actually. If it was me, I would do the Officer thing then afterwards go straight to university and get a degree (and enjoy your freedom too), or if you already have a degree, then do a conversion degree course for law or whatever it may be.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I know an ex RE officer who is now training to go into economics in the city somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    One if my uncles became a nightclub manager.

Another uncle now runs his own PR business and has written a couple of books.

Grandfather ran a village shop and is now retired.

There is no typical path taken by people leaving the Army.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Aack)
    Alcohol followed by an apperance on the Jeremy Kyle show, mostly.
    I know of a few ex-army types in management consultancy, but I'd say they were quite rare and most of them had gone and got some business experience before making the jump.

ReputationRep:
    There was a Ex-Army officer who is now a management consultant working for Accenture.

ReputationRep:
    The world is apparently your oyster if and when you decide to leave, but perhaps not in the middle of a recession. A lot of people who have left the Army over the last couple of years are back in, or on their way back in.

Couple of Army in McKinsey, few in law, lots in insurance, lots in private banking, lots in "management", lots teaching. Just be preapred to start again from the bottom, although your promotion prospects, should you prove any good, should be better. It's a bit like leaving a top drawer university, you're just a little neater, obsessive about time-keeping and slightly balder/greyer.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.