Turn on thread page Beta

Eng Lang Coursework - Investigation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im doing my A2 Investigation on the different ways in which different holiday brands target their audiences ie. 18-30s Holidays as oppose to Saga Holidays (For over 50s sort of age)
    So yeah, i've found possessive apostrophes used loads in the Saga brochures like 'Saga's holiday experience' and 'Saga's Q ratings'.
    Can anyone suggest what this shows or what it suggests about the audience or is it not particularly meaningful?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The possessive adjective "Saga" (I say possessive adjective because it's describing the holiday) could support a number of purposes:

1) Saga *tends* to be for the over-50s (you may wish to check this) so it helps to identify and home in on the target audience (perhaps think about how this would make the holiday seem more appealing, e.g. why older people might be attracted to the implied promise of being surrounded by their own age group rather than shrieking kids with volleyballs);
    2) Saga is a well-known company so the repeated use of the name acts as an endorsement, adding credibility to the advertisement;
    3) By bringing the company name to the forefront of the reader's consciousness, the advert is serving a dual purpose, promoting both the holiday *and* the company.

Hope that helps, I'm sure there's plenty more you could come up with! Maybe also look at word order - if it's frequently near the "front" of the sentence, that's probably a conscious decision to place the company name at the forefront of the reader's mind and you'd score major brownie/UMS points for exploring why that might be.

And to reinforce any claims that you make, you might want to look at a similarly well-known company which caters to younger people. I don't go on holidays much so I'm not the best person to advise you there, maybe Centerparks? Or if there isn't one, think about why not - are young people more likely to be adventurous or 'shop' around to find the best deals with their small budgets, and thus be less loyal to a particular firm? If you don't find any corresponding trend, it's just as sensible to explore the reasons why!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsAnnThropic)
    The possessive adjective "Saga" (I say possessive adjective because it's describing the holiday) could support a number of purposes:

1) Saga *tends* to be for the over-50s (you may wish to check this) so it helps to identify and home in on the target audience (perhaps think about how this would make the holiday seem more appealing, e.g. why older people might be attracted to the implied promise of being surrounded by their own age group rather than shrieking kids with volleyballs);
    2) Saga is a well-known company so the repeated use of the name acts as an endorsement, adding credibility to the advertisement;
    3) By bringing the company name to the forefront of the reader's consciousness, the advert is serving a dual purpose, promoting both the holiday *and* the company.

Hope that helps, I'm sure there's plenty more you could come up with! Maybe also look at word order - if it's frequently near the "front" of the sentence, that's probably a conscious decision to place the company name at the forefront of the reader's mind and you'd score major brownie/UMS points for exploring why that might be.

And to reinforce any claims that you make, you might want to look at a similarly well-known company which caters to younger people. I don't go on holidays much so I'm not the best person to advise you there, maybe Centerparks? Or if there isn't one, think about why not - are young people more likely to be adventurous or 'shop' around to find the best deals with their small budgets, and thus be less loyal to a particular firm? If you don't find any corresponding trend, it's just as sensible to explore the reasons why!
    Thanks that really helped!
    And yeah that's what im doing, Im making a comparison with 2wentys holidays which is First Choice's version of 18-30s, so you can imagine the endless ways in which they are completely different. I just wanted some more comples, less obvious feaures to discuss, as i seemed to be going on and on about lexical choices too much!

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alice.eleanor.x)
    Thanks that really helped!
    And yeah that's what im doing, Im making a comparison with 2wentys holidays which is First Choice's version of 18-30s, so you can imagine the endless ways in which they are completely different. I just wanted some more comples, less obvious feaures to discuss, as i seemed to be going on and on about lexical choices too much!

Thanks again
    You're very welcome. If you're still scratching around for other worthwhile frameworks to look at, it might be worth considering pronouns and their effect on reader/writer positioning - does the company use the first person plural to refer to itself as "we"/address the reader directly by using the second person singular "you" or whatever, and why?

Word classes could be interesting too. I'm sure you've done a lot of work on the semantic fields of the adjectives so maybe take it further by looking at the grammatical side to supplement the lexis. Does the piece use more concrete or abstract nouns and what does this reflect about the holiday they're selling? Concrete might suggest a more materialistic appeal, whereas abstract could be focusing on the experiential aspect - a difference could reveal the expected preferences of their target audience. (e.g. If Saga uses most concrete nouns it could suggest that older people are more interested in their home comforts and that young people are more focused on the experience. Complete opposite could be true - shallow youngsters vs transcendent golden oldies, who knows...)

Sorry that's a long post but just a few more ideas for you - I did my investigation last year and it was *painful* to sift through five whole feature articles in so many different ways, although I did come out of it with 100% so it's definitely worth doing something ambitious if you're prepared to put the time into it! Anything more I can help you with, please just let me know, I do sympathise with your plight .

ReputationRep:
    As above...
    Pragmatics can be an easy framework - how different activities are targeted at different age groups...
    knowledge/culture may be assumed for example, where old people are targeted for museums, as opposed to nightclubs, where the atmosphere is all important... loud, lively and noisy versus calm, mellow and tranquil. Nightclub versus old pub.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 21, 2009

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.