Building muscle while dieting? Watch

Deadmau5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Previously when doing a weight loss regime i've limited to 1500 calories a day and stuck with an exercise program, which was very, very effective. However, there was a downside - muscle wastage. Now at the time that wasn't a problem, because I was interested only in pure weight loss and I was not muscular anyway so there was no real difference. However, now i've joined a gym and I want to both lose bodyfat and build muscle. I still want to calorie restrict - if I don't, my diet is crap...but I realise the heavily reduced protein intake from such a diet is affecting my muscles. Now, it's not practical for me to eat like a bodybuilder but I know I need a diet which isn't going to let me waste away again. Would it even be a problem if I was concentrating on the weights?
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
"I still want to calorie restrict" is not compatible with "I want to both lose bodyfat and build muscle".

Caloric surplus fuels muscle growth for obvious reasons. Maintain a surplus, stick to 'clean' foods as far as possible - meats, fish, veg, nuts, seeds, dairy, pulses, good quality carbohydrates - and crack onto a decent training routine (heavy compounds with free weights; deadlifts, squats, presses etc).
Deadmau5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rainy)
"I still want to calorie restrict" is not compatible with "I want to both lose bodyfat and build muscle".

Caloric surplus fuels muscle growth for obvious reasons. Maintain a surplus, stick to 'clean' foods as far as possible - meats, fish, veg, nuts, seeds, dairy, pulses, good quality carbohydrates - and crack onto a decent training routine (heavy compounds with free weights; deadlifts, squats, presses etc).
But if that is the case then it's impossible for me to lose weight, is it not? Weight loss for the most part is calories in - calories out.
jimber
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why do you want to lose weight? If you build some lean muscle whilst eating clean you will reduce your bodyfat but remain at the same weight
Powerlifter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your perception of weight is the problem, if you loose fat and build muscle mass your body may end up heavier, but with a much better look etc.
Deadmau5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Powerlifter)
Your perception of weight is the problem, if you loose fat and build muscle mass your body may end up heavier, but with a much better look etc.
Well yeah what i'm really aiming for is a much beter looking body, but I don't understand how it's possible to lose a large amount of BF if i'm maintaining a calorie surplus(i.e. gaining weight).
Powerlifter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Deadmau5)
Well yeah what i'm really aiming for is a much beter looking body, but I don't understand how it's possible to lose a large amount of BF if i'm maintaining a calorie surplus(i.e. gaining weight).
It isn't unless you use drugs such as Tren & HGH

You need to make a choice on what it is you want to achive first and work towards that. Guys with muscle did not get that way by eating small and watching thier bf while buking, they bulk then they cut.

A simple fact is though that even with a bit of a belly if you build muscle, back, traps, legs etc you will look 10x better than someone who is just fat.
RawJoh1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Suppose you build some muscle on a clean bulk. Suppose you put on 1kg muscle and 0.1kg fat (these are made up figures, I don't know what a good ratio would be IRL). If you do that, your bodyfat % will actually decrease.
Deadmau5
Rep:
?

You need to make a choice on what it is you want to achive first and work towards that. Guys with muscle did not get that way by eating small and watching thier bf while buking, they bulk then they cut.

A simple fact is though that even with a bit of a belly if you build muscle, back, traps, legs etc you will look 10x better than someone who is just fat.
Ok, so in your opinion, would it be better for me to lose weight first and then bulk up or bulk up first and then cut? I mean, there is a lot of bodyfat I want to cut out but as I understand it the body will turn to bodyfat as its primary source of fuel before going after the muscle, but surely there will still be muscle wastage in doing that right? how pronounced would it be?

thanks for all your help
yodude888
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

How does Tren work, and how common is it?

EDIT: As in when would it ever be recommended to take it? What are the side effects? I understand Trenbolone Acetate is the most potent?
Lord Marmaduke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok, so in your opinion, would it be better for me to lose weight first and then bulk up or bulk up first and then cut? I mean, there is a lot of bodyfat I want to cut out but as I understand it the body will turn to bodyfat as its primary source of fuel before going after the muscle, but surely there will still be muscle wastage in doing that right? how pronounced would it be?

thanks for all your help
Well this would depend on what your stats such as height/weight/bodyfat are at the minute as well as goals.
jimber
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If I was you I'd concentrate on bulking until you reach the amount of muscle you want and then cut after that. Don't waste your money on tren, if your gonna buy anything get some protein powder and then creatine if you wanna spend any more
Powerlifter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

thanks for all your help
No it won't, if you are in a calorie deficit the body will store reserves of fat and turn to muscle as a fuel source first, fat is an emergency fuel supply and the body will hold onto it. Bodybuilders have to be very careful when they are doing a cut not to loose muslce, the body can be tricked, but it is very technical (and dull) and to be honest you are better off working your ass off in the gym on squats, deads and pressing and letting the increase in metabolism and increase muscle mass sort out the fat over a longer period of time. Just my opinion, not a fan of cutting.
Powerlifter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by yodude888)
How does Tren work, and how common is it?

EDIT: As in when would it ever be recommended to take it? What are the side effects? I understand Trenbolone Acetate is the most potent?
Tren was developed for cattle, it was designed to increase their lean mass while stripping of bodyfat, this is essentially what it does for a human (in a much lower dose).

How common is it? Ever seen a bodybuilder, yes, well they have taken tren. Drug of choice for many, massive strength gains while cutting fat, ideal for a cut etc, and ideal for strength athletes after top end strength.

It does have cardio limiting factors so not so good for strongman, rugby players boxers etc as their have to be fit as well.

It works in much the same way as HGH, it breaks down bodyfat releasing the energy from it, this in turn will reduce your appetite. This works in conjunction with an Andronic effect around 3-4 times more potent than testosterone which exhibits itself in large strength gains.
When taken in conjunction with a class 2 oral and a testosterone class 1 injectable it can exhibits excellent size gains and increased vascularity.

Side effects vary as with any drug- tren cough is a common complat (and something I experienced after an injection of 200mg tren and 175mg test enanthate last night) this is an uncontrollable coughing fit directly after injection, you feel as if you have a tickle in your throat, diet off pretty quick through.
Other sides are increased aggression levels (more so than with test) and a decrease in VO2 max recovery.

I have experienced a reduction in bodyfat, good strength gains and only once the dreaded tren cough (been on for about 4 weeks) .
I wouldn’t ‘recommend’ taking it, each to their own and their own choice in these things, I like it however I have not gained as much weight as I would have on say Deca and test due to the fat killing and diet reduction parts of the drug, I knew that before I started.

Acetate is a daily injection, they are usually much more potent with a much shorter half life, the enanthate version is suspended and will need say 2 injections a week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (280)
27.56%
No (736)
72.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise