The Student Room Group

Problem trying to get a guarantor!

Hi there, I'm at uni, living in halls of residence at the moment but next year I will renting a house with some people. Well, as most of you know you need a guarantor, and its usually easily done by getting your parents to be it. Unfortunately, my parents don't work (due to my mum having to look after my dad who is disabled) and don't own their house, so they do not fulfil the criteria to be a guarantor. I have no other family I can get to be a guarantor due to the fact most of my relatives are quite old (and don't work, and don't own their homes). Has anyone else been in this situation before, if so how did you resolve it? if not, do you have any suggestions? I asked Connexions, but they were pretty rubbish, they suggested asking if the letting agent could bend the rules :rolleyes: please help!!

PANIC OVER!! I managed to get my dad's only trusted friend :biggrin: Thanks for trying to help me everyone :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

bump.
Anybody... :tumble:
only-the-chosen-remain
Hi there, I'm at uni, living in halls of residence at the moment but next year I will renting a house with some people. Well, as most of you know you need a guarantor, and its usually easily done by getting your parents to be it. Unfortunately, my parents don't work (due to my mum having to look after my dad who is disabled) and don't own their house, so they do not fulfil the criteria to be a guarantor. I have no other family I can get to be a guarantor due to the fact most of my relatives are quite old (and don't work, and don't own their homes). Has anyone else been in this situation before, if so how did you resolve it? if not, do you have any suggestions? I asked Connexions, but they were pretty rubbish, they suggested asking if the letting agent could bend the rules :rolleyes: please help!!

Do you not have any family friends that could help you out?

the gurantor is only liable if you burn the house down or something like that, they are not the ones who have to pay for your rent... so as long as they are people you know and that trust you.

Otherwise, I think that you don't need a guarantor if you pay all in one go. May be wrong on that one though...
JohnKennedy
Do you not have any family friends that could help you out?

the gurantor is only liable if you burn the house down or something like that, they are not the ones who have to pay for your rent... so as long as they are people you know and that trust you.

Otherwise, I think that you don't need a guarantor if you pay all in one go. May be wrong on that one though...

Thanks for your reply! Yeah its a shame the criteria is so strict! Nope, where I live back home is in the countryside and my parents have never had enough time to go out n so only have family as their friends. I'm gonna try and stretch it to one of our neighbours, fingers crossed she will wanna sign it. The thing is its a legally binding document so it really puts people off, which is a shame cos I'm a pretty responsible person so they needn't hear from me again.
what about the parents of one of the people that you are renting the house/flat with?

If they trust you enough to contribute to the rent and live with their kids, surely they won't mind signing an agreement
Reply 6
Hey I can help.
A gurantor is only used if you do not pay your rent. It has nothing to do with burning the house down, your landlord will have his own insurance for that. You will need to buy contents insurance.
The easiest thing to do is get your parents to lie...
they only need to lie about working full time and having equity. As long as you pay your rent, you will be fine. They do not do credit checks nor do they take much notice. The only ask for a gurantor because you are not working full time. I have lived in several students houses and they have never asked. It is a legal contract so do not ask your next door neighbour to sign it.
Reply 7
JohnKennedy
what about the parents of one of the people that you are renting the house/flat with?

If they trust you enough to contribute to the rent and live with their kids, surely they won't mind signing an agreement

Depending on the contract (if they rent the house or a single room, you need to check tenancy agreement) then your housemates could be liable for your rent as well. But in practice then letting agents will only chace you for your rent if you have not paid.
Reply 8
I would check with the estate agent whom you are renting from about what checks they carry out, some estate agents run credit checks on guarantors to make sure they are in a financially stable situation, I know credit checks don't give specific financial figures but it will be a good indicator as to weather they estate agent/landolord will get their money each moth, otherwise if they didn't run the credit check they may as well let you rent without credit checking you and cut out the guarantor all together.
rebeccaa
Hey I can help.
A gurantor is only used if you do not pay your rent. It has nothing to do with burning the house down, your landlord will have his own insurance for that. You will need to buy contents insurance.
The easiest thing to do is get your parents to lie...
they only need to lie about working full time and having equity. As long as you pay your rent, you will be fine. They do not do credit checks nor do they take much notice. The only ask for a gurantor because you are not working full time. I have lived in several students houses and they have never asked. It is a legal contract so do not ask your next door neighbour to sign it.

Right, this is an absolutely weird question to ask, but I've recently had a name change (I've taken my step-dad's surname) and I know I could ask my grandmother on my biological father's side of the family but would the tenant agency be in contact with her if I got her to sign the guarantor form? I don't wish for her to see my new name, as that side of the family are known to be very unreasonable with things like that.
Reply 10
As it is a student house and not a private house, you do not need to worry about a credit check. The guarantor is not renting the house, therefore a credit check of his/her status will not be sufficent. The guarantor is only saying s/he will pay the rent if the named occupant does not. I really would not worry about it. They need to tell you if they are doing a credit check.
I have professional dealings with student letting and they do not check.
Reply 11
Julesy78
I would check with the estate agent whom you are renting from about what checks they carry out, some estate agents run credit checks on guarantors to make sure they are in a financially stable situation, I know credit checks don't give specific financial figures but it will be a good indicator as to weather they estate agent/landolord will get their money each moth, otherwise if they didn't run the credit check they may as well let you rent without credit checking you and cut out the guarantor all together.

They have gurantor because the occupant is a student and not working full time. If you go to a letting agent as a full time worker and they run a credit check and/or ask for a guarantor, walk away!
Reply 12
only-the-chosen-remain
Right, this is an absolutely weird question to ask, but I've recently had a name change (I've taken my step-dad's surname) and I know I could ask my grandmother on my biological father's side of the family but would the tenant agency be in contact with her if I got her to sign the guarantor form? I don't wish for her to see my new name, as that side of the family are known to be very unreasonable with things like that.

Grandmother suggests that she is old.. therefore will not be working. Just put your parents name, make up an income and you will be fine. I sth elettings agent one which is student orientated?
rebeccaa
Grandmother suggests that she is old.. therefore will not be working. Just put your parents name, make up an income and you will be fine. I sth elettings agent one which is student orientated?

She (grandmother) owns her house you see so she'd be eligible, sorry I missed that out. I can't lie about my parents, the agency already knows. Plus, they ask for work address n stuff like that. It is mainly for students yes.
Reply 14
Your grandma will be refused as she does not work.
You have no choice but to put your parents. It will be fine. Just had in your paperwork, they will have forgotten who you are and also they will not carry out a credit check.
Do you need to get a witness to say they have seen the guarantor sign?
It is nearly easter. The lettings agents should of got rid of all their houses. They will not be bothered with you.
I'm not lying about my parents, its a very big risk to take to be fair and I wouldn't want to get them into trouble. I think a witness is needed yes. I've paid for everything so we have our house, I just need my guarantor.
Right going to ask my dad's one and only friend who will probably refuse. Any other options if he refuses?
My guarantor form didn't have anything about income on it. My parents didn't want to sign it because "you're twenty...you're an adult..it's not our problem" so I had to forge it, but I just had to stick his name and address on it.
*Sparkle*
My guarantor form didn't have anything about income on it. My parents didn't want to sign it because "you're twenty...you're an adult..it's not our problem" so I had to forge it, but I just had to stick his name and address on it.

Yeah this one asks for a work address so I can hardly forge that. I'm sure there must be plenty of people in the same situation, like people who are new to the country, its not a very good system.
Reply 19
Look.... just hand in the form. IT WILL BE OK!!! They only ask for details as you are a student. They have hundreds of students and paperwork.
I have handled well over 1200 "guarantor" forms. All we look for is that they are employed full time. NO credit checks, nothing. The landlord is not giving your parents credit and neither is the landlord renting the property to yourself. You are the one on the agrement hence they have no reason for them to credit check your parents.
The first instalment is due soon? Or at least a deposit. The landlord will be wanting to get the house signed for.
Just hand in the paperwork, lie, and see what happens!

Latest