Turn on thread page Beta

zimbabwe watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right. I want to go on a trip to Zimbabwe. My parents **** brix.
    I have a general idea of the awful things going on there, but not any in-depth knowledge. The FCO seem almost complacent about visiting, and the company I want to go with seems reassuring. But it's Zimbabwe, and I don't know how much the political or economic situation would affect my visit. Visas, travel insurance, cholera and currency are my biggest worries, but any sort of knowledge/advice or experiences would be appreciated. will i die
    Oh, and rep for excellent replies. Grazie

ReputationRep:
    as of january the zimbabwean govt allows foreign currency so that basically means take us$. take cash as well because apparently most atms are limited to withdrawals of 5 south african rand (roughly $0.50 usd). from a cursory google it seems like you'll still be able to get a visa but i wouldn't be so optimistic about insurance. cholera isn't pleasant, but there are ways to avoid it (if you're a rich westerner who can afford to purify water)

ReputationRep:
    i cant rep you thats not allowed. but thankyou kindly

ReputationRep:
    Get US dollars. Insurance look at places like Post Office (seriously) and AA. Get them to record the phone convo, but you might need to be quite specific about what you want to be insured for (i.e. travel/medical things, war won't count). FCO talk ********, don't listen to them. Cholera is not an issue if you're prudent.

Contact the embassy, consul whatever the **** we have over there (or in neighbouring countries, I don't really know what our embassy situation is over there) and tell them you're travelling there. That way if there is an issue, at least they know you're there and can help ship you out pronto.

ReputationRep:
    It's a really bad idea. I wouldn't go.

ReputationRep:
    http://ukinzimbabwe.fco.gov.uk/en/he...ings-go-wrong/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    This.

ReputationRep:
    awesome i love you. seriously no war? i looked on travelsupermarket for insurance and results read NO YOU CANT HAVE ANY ever. probs be easier to just get over my taste for doing stupid things

ReputationRep:
    why zimbabwe, why not rhyl?

ReputationRep:
    you gonna get the rape raped outta you girl

seriously though, you'll fit right in.

ReputationRep:
    i probably want to go because its not allowed.
    also, baby lions

ReputationRep:
    give mugabe a ^5 for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubaiyat)
    awesome i love you. seriously no war? i looked on travelsupermarket for insurance and results read NO YOU CANT HAVE ANY ever. probs be easier to just get over my taste for doing stupid things
    It's going to cost an arm and a leg to get insurance and your list of exclusions/exemptions from the policy will probably be bigger than the usual, but with a bit of forcefulness, it is possible. The other option is to have your parents as guarantors. It works apparently.

I like the fact that Zimbabwe's FCO warning is the same as Mada's and was actually lower than Mada's a couple of weeks back...because Madagascar is clearly more dangerous than Zimbabwe. That's why you don't trust the FCO muppets.

If you do go through with it rube, definitely contact the British embassy there (they do have one after all). In fact, contact them now and get them to give you advice on what to do.

ReputationRep:
    looks like i cant rep you either ploop. but very helpful and i will do that tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willenium)
    give mugabe a ^5 for me
    make that ^50000000000000000000

see what i did there

ReputationRep:
    imaginary rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zef99)
    you gonna get the rape raped outta you girl

seriously though, you'll fit right in.
    which of these is the compliment

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can work that one out honey bee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ploop)
    It's going to cost an arm and a leg to get insurance and your list of exclusions/exemptions from the policy will probably be bigger than the usual, but with a bit of forcefulness, it is possible. The other option is to have your parents as guarantors. It works apparently.

I like the fact that Zimbabwe's FCO warning is the same as Mada's and was actually lower than Mada's a couple of weeks back...because Madagascar is clearly more dangerous than Zimbabwe. That's why you don't trust the FCO muppets.

If you do go through with it rube, definitely contact the British embassy there (they do have one after all). In fact, contact them now and get them to give you advice on what to do.
    Do you even know what's going on in Madagascar at the minute?

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.