Anyone experienced the same thing with housemates? Watch

hannah_dru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
You probably remember me saying about gas and electric and stuff. Now I have a real reason to get worried about the gas usage and particularly my housemates' behaviour towards me. The last quarterly bill came to £320 (£233 was gas) and this is because the housemates kept leaving the heating on the "on" button, rather than on "timed", which is what we, and the landlord agreed, as it's on for about 7-8 hours a day anyway. That bill came in Jan. They're still leaving it on on since then which I find a bit silly to be honest, but as we've had problems before I thought it best to leave it for a while. It's gotten to the point where the one due in April could be a lot bigger than the last one so I left a note last night asking them politely if they could leave it on timed or own up as to whose putting it on as it's not fair that we split the bill equally now. One girl spoke to me about it and said that she has no carpet in her room and as it's a double room she wants it on. I think she could be fair and agree to pay in the end up I don't know, as she didn't openly say. The other two girls (one agreed with me about the timer when I spoke to her on her own, but I think she's the type who goes around backstabbing from the fact I heard her swearing about me a few months ago downstairs) have now decided that it'd be a great idea to just ignore me, and I can't get an honest response from anyone.

So the question is- what do I do? I explained politely that I don't mind if they leave it on just so long as they're willing to pay for it as I can't afford it. That I don't mind at all. However I think it's gotten to the stage where they a) don't have any guts to say anything as they never spoke about bills before and changed the subject and b) seem to just gang up on me, as if I'm a complete ***** by saying politely that as I come from a single parent family who I have to help out, I don't have as much money. I'm just worried that the bill will come through and even though all of our names are on it, as I'm first, I'll be the one getting red letters. I was going to just pay what I thought was fair and ask them to sort the rest out. I just don't understand their behaviour though- surely in a tenancy you help each other out, not ignore each other if someone raises a point?
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i know this feeling.

were on a meter but people kept turning thr heating on full all day for no reason/

pricks.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
I don't mind if they'll pay for it, y'know? But when they don't even tell me if they're willing or even tell me to **** off and just gossip behind my back it's unfair. I don't get why you need it on much right now anyway cos it's not snowing.
wallflower*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My flatmate wanted to set the timer so the heating would come on at 5am, so that she wouldn't be cold when she got up for uni. When i pointed out that as she never gets up before 9am it would be slightly unnecessary she got in a mood and wouldn't speak to me for a week! She leaves her window open all the time so she can smoke in her room and wanders around in just a t-shirt and then complains that she feels cold.
I brought up the idea of her paying extra towards the gas bill but she got offended and acted like it was me who was the unreasonable one for even suggesting it. Some people just don't seem to understand the costs of things like heating, because they don't have to pay for it immediately it's easy to pretend that they don't have to pay for it at all.
Now i just creep around closing windows and turning down thermostats, and switching off lights like scrooge.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
(Original post by wallflower*)
My flatmate wanted to set the timer so the heating would come on at 5am, so that she wouldn't be cold when she got up for uni. When i pointed out that as she never gets up before 9am it would be slightly unnecessary she got in a mood and wouldn't speak to me for a week! She leaves her window open all the time so she can smoke in her room and wanders around in just a t-shirt and then complains that she feels cold.
I brought up the idea of her paying extra towards the gas bill but she got offended and acted like it was me who was the unreasonable one for even suggesting it. Some people just don't seem to understand the costs of things like heating, because they don't have to pay for it immediately it's easy to pretend that they don't have to pay for it at all.
Now i just creep around closing windows and turning down thermostats, and switching off lights like scrooge.
That sounds exactly like what happens here. They all walk around in t-shirts here and complain that they're cold. Sometimes they do wear hoodies but I think they've got so accustomed to the heating being on that they still feel it. The funny thing is, I weigh less than they all do and I don't feel the cold in here, whereas I normally do.
I think they're coddled at home, that's half the trouble. The girl who spoke to me about it yesterday racked up an £100 phone bill because she's been phoning her boyfriend whose in Africa.
I do the same but they just turn it back up and then get really offended even if I'm nice about it.
fioram
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had the same issue with two of my housemates (they're lesbians btw). I just ended up calling them selfish ***** and saying that if they continued to be so laissez-faire with energy usage, I would make them pay the whole of 2 month's bills. It seemed to do the trick, but they don't talk to me as much anymore.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
That's kind of my plan I think. When the bill comes it'll be "You're paying the rest, sort it out." I just don't know if they will and what my options are if they don't.
Dawkins
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fioram)
I had the same issue with two of my housemates (they're lesbians btw). I just ended up calling them selfish ***** and saying that if they continued to be so laissez-faire with energy usage, I would make them pay the whole of 2 month's bills. It seemed to do the trick, but they don't talk to me as much anymore.
Yeh, those lesbians really do feel the cold more than the rest of us. :yep:
icn06
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try to move out they sound terribly annoying.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
I would but I only have until June left. I also have to find someone else to replace me else I'd get sued.
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is why I got bills all inclusive :tongue:

If I was you I'd just switch the heating off then smash the timer so they can't put it back on again.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
I'm doing that when I come back after my year abroad cos I'm never doing this again.
Haha I'd so love to smash it. But I'd get done by my landlord.
Toxic Tears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fire2burn)
This is why I got bills all inclusive :tongue:

If I was you I'd just switch the heating off then smash the timer so they can't put it back on again.
:rofl:
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
As an update: The Italian girl is in a mood with me. She's pretending she's speaking to me but just says "hello" in a very pissed off tone. Very pathetic. The heating is still on. I'm thinking of having a word with the landlord as he said bills should be getting cheaper by now as we shouldn't be using it.
nadnerb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by wallflower*)
I have the exact same problem with my housemate.
She sets the heating to come on for a full 2hrs before she gets up, and even when she gets up she's out the door in about 10 mins! Hardly enough time to get cold when you're rushing around getting ready, is it?
She also sets the heating to come on about 2hrs before she gets home - and most of the time shes stays on late at work anyway.
When she gets home she whacks the heating onto 'ON' and turns it up.
She then sits downstairs where its draughty in light clothing complaining its cold!
Meanwhile me and my gf are upstairs in our room with our window open as its so fecking hot it makes me feel ill!
We've reached the point where whenever the heatings on we turn it off (or if its actually quite cold we leave it on, but turn it down or shorten the time its on)
We got a massive bill the other day and since its in her name she split it evenly and asked us for the money! pfftt, if it wasn't for me I'd say the bill would be close to double what it actually was.
In fact she's been known to leave the heating on full blast while everyone is out all day - I nearly died when I came in that day, sooooo hot!
I think it all stems from her mother who's rather loopy and has their heating on full blast all year round. no joke!

Anyway, this is the 2nd year we've had massive winter bills because of her and plus many other reasons which I could seriously write all day about, enough is enough and we're moving out.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Kill your current housemates, then get new ones.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Haha that option has been thought of!!

It bugs me that I try hard to help everyone out and not to start arguments. I think for this reason they think they can just ignore what I say and carry on. Trying so hard not to go all female hulkish on them but that might happen when the bill comes through.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I say just pay what you think your share is, add a bit more so they can't argue over the specifics, then leave them to pay the rest. Also, ring up the utility company and ask if you can have the names re-ordered on the bill, with the people who use the most heating first, then claim ignorance when they get the red letters instead of you.
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Thanks I was thinking of doing pretty much that. I'm hoping the company would be able to do something even though the situation will sound pretty pathetic to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?