Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi...just wondering if there is anyone out there who can possibly help please.

Short background - my mum has severe multiple sclerosis, has done since I was born. Past few years she's gotten really bad. Physically and mentally. Physically she cannot walk, pretty much can't do anything for her self. Cant get her self from sofa to wheel chair. Just nothing. She has put a hell of a lot of weight on as a result. Mentally, well she isn't mum anymore. She is like a child. A bit of this is bitterness which, obviously, I understand, but the majority is due to just actual mental deterioration.

Well, she is also completely incontinent. Last summer she had a catheter put in which ever since has brought her problems. In november it seemed like she had a nasty stroke, but it turned out she had caught an infection from the catheter. She was unconscious for days, confused etc ect. Doctors told us she may not come round properly. Thankfully she did.

So she had the catheter taken out, a more efficient yet permanent one put in. Low and behold, a friend checks in on her this morning (she lives alone...i was her carer until i got my own place and she got an adapted bungalow) and finds her unconscious, fitting. Same thing seems to have happened again.

I just want to know if this is common? I've checked on google etc but found nothing. The docs are telling us nothing.

I suppose I kinda wana vent too...if it isn't bad enough that she has to live with such a horrible illness, she also gets all this s*** for being incontinent.

I feel so guilty that she was on her own. All I wana do is look after her. But I physically can't anymore. Especially because of her weight. I have this pain when i think about all she goes through, it literally feels like someone ripping my heart and stomach out. She has lost everything because of this. She has even lost her amazing, caring, strong, loving personality because she just isn't there anymore. Why is this happening to her?

Sorry for the rant.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I can't help on the catheter front, but I just wanted to offer you my support; my mum has MS too, so if you ever want to rant further/generally have a chat feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest that you really try and sit the doctors down and have a conversation with them and try and get everything out you can. They are not in the profession to lie to people so as long as you ask for their honesty they will give it to you. If your mother is in the hospital at the present as by the sounds she is, it would be a good time to talk about it now, while you can.

It sounds like a horrible thing to have to deal with, worrying about your own life, but at the same time having to deal with this aswell. I guess try and be strong and be there fo her, you know it isnt her and she wouldnt be this way if she could help it.

ReputationRep:
    It really sounds like your mum could use some extra help from carers at this point in her life. It must be so difficult for you seeing her in this condition and remembering her as she used to be. The important thing at the moment is to make sure she is comfortable, and this catheter situation really seems to be getting in the way.
    It is common to get infections from catheters, it's something prosthetic bei ng put inside the body which always poses a risk. I'd recommend asking your mum's GP to make a home visit so you can both voice your concerns.
    Please don't feel like you have to bear this burden alone, Im sure there is help out there for you both x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies. Sorry I've been a while getting back...been a busy few days as you can imagine. They've sent my mum home now. The only good news to come out of this is it kind of scared the docs into realising she needs a better care package, so someone is coming out to discuss her options. I'm probably gonna be there because my mum will find it all hard to take in.
    Ilikebees I will def message you, I've never spoken to anyone who's mum has MS before. Hope things are as well as they can be.
    Thanks again for all your concern, it made me feel a lot better when I was really low with it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fearny1989)
    Ilikebees I will def message you, I've never spoken to anyone who's mum has MS before. Hope things are as well as they can be.
    Thanks again for all your concern, it made me feel a lot better when I was really low with it all.
    My mum has MS too, she was diagnosed in 2000, so when I was 9. I'm fortunate in that she is still quite mobile, but she uses a wheelchair outside of the house. Hope your mum is OK and that you get a proper explanation for what has been happening to her. As with Ilikebees, please get in touch with me too, I don't tend to talk about it much and it might be good to!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.