Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    Would like some advice on buying a new foundation.
    I have quite dry skin but I get spots and have quite a few blackheads. I don't want anything that is going to dry my skin out further as it does sometimes peel off and that isn't attractive but I don't want to make it oily either. I had dream matte mousse at one point but found it too dry for my skin and the liquid I've had has always been the wrong colour. I have quite pale skin - I usually go for the lightest shade and even natural makes me look orange. I can't afford to pay too much unfortunately, anything around a tenner would be great.
    Also does anyone have any advice on getting rid of the blackheads? I already use a purifying gel and imperfection cream every morning and night. Thank you in advance for any replies!

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to save up for a higher quality foundation instead of 'making do' with a cheaper one. The cheaper one may be better in the short term, but long term a more expensive, better quality foundation will be better value for money as you'll need to use less product on your face (a little goes a long way usually) and therefore, get more wear out of it than you would a lesser quality product.

I would then go on to recommend Prescriptives - their colour ranges are superb and the moisture in their foundations is amazing. I couldn't want for a better foundation.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you. Where can you get those from?
    Also what about a concealler to try and disquise the blemishes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    My advice would be to save up for a higher quality foundation instead of 'making do' with a cheaper one. The cheaper one may be better in the short term, but long term a more expensive, better quality foundation will be better value for money as you'll need to use less product on your face (a little goes a long way usually) and therefore, get more wear out of it than you would a lesser quality product.

I would then go on to recommend Prescriptives - their colour ranges are superb and the moisture in their foundations is amazing. I couldn't want for a better foundation.
    I agree. Also, when you do go to buy a new foundation, if you buy a better quality one, you can often go to the brand's beauty counter in places like debanhams and ask them what shade you should use. They will test it on you and find the perfect shade!

ReputationRep:
    ^Yeah, the makeup reps will be the best people to ask for advice on colour matching.

Foundation is the one thing most people tend to get wrong - so professional help is always advisable. Once you've got the base sorted, it'll make the whole face look perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okays. Thank you for the advice. How much is prescriptives? I will save up before I go get matched up or anything

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree here.

ReputationRep:
    My prescriptives foundation was £24 the last time I bought it, though more recently I've been using their Camouflage Cream Concealer (£14) as a base instead as it's a perfect match to my skin tone. I use the Virtual Skin foundation for special occasions now.

ReputationRep:
    I will definitely get some of the prescriptives stuff when I've got money but atm I don't have a job so even though I won't be getting so much for my money can you recommend a good foundation for around £10 please? I know they're not very good but I'm desperate and that's all I can spend right now! thank you

ReputationRep:
    where can you get prescriptives foundation from?

ReputationRep:
    John Lewis has their counters. Well, they do in Cambridge anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, John Lewis, some House of Frasers - possibly, though my local HOF doesn't...

ReputationRep:
    For around £10: Max Factor's Colour Adapt, Lily Lolo's mineral foundation, or No7's Essential Moisture. It's been a while since I bought either of them though so no idea on current prices. I'm pretty pale too and they've always suited me. For the higher budget I would definitely agree on Prescriptives though, or perhaps Bobbi Brown. Often you do need to up your budget to get particularly dark or light shades as cheaper brands just don't go far enough.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, John Lewis, some House of Frasers - possibly, though my local HOF doesn't...
    Yeah they do it in some House of Frasers, my local one does and the one in Oxford Street does. You can also get it in Selfridges.

I also recommend MAC, if you go up to one of their counters (House of Fraser, Selfridges and there are some stores in London) the assistants are very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I'd totally reccomend Lily Lolo mineral powder foundation - I've only recently started using MAC liquid foundation (also very good) because I needed a change during the winter, but found Lily Lolo brilliant, and reccomended it to quite a few friends who have also loved it. It's great for combination/oily skin as it acts as a finishing powder as well, but I have skin that can go dry and slightly flaky (usually autumn time after a summer of air conditioning and then radiators as it gets colder) and didn't find it aggravated it at all, which I was slightly worried about with it being powder. I used a really nice face exfoliator to get rid of the dead/flaky skin and then an overnight moisturiser (the Body Shop tea tree moisturiser products are great for combatting spots but don't dry skin out too much) and the Lily Lolo would sit beautifully on my skin. I think the fact it's natural ingredients helps, so there are no harsh chemicals in it to aggravate spots or make skin dry. You use a brush and tap a little in to the lid of the pot and then brush it on in circles. You use a teeny amount and just build it up gradually all over your face until you've got the coverage you need. It doesn't 'cake' your face at all and gives a really even coverage if you get the right shade, it made my skin look pretty flawless and it's very natural looking in a good way. Beware the powder does seem to get everywhere but do it before you get dressed and you should be fine. It's £12 for a normal sized pot, which used to last me about 8-10 weeks (using it every day, sometimes twice a day) which I don't think is too bad at all. They do loads of colours and shades - have a look on their website. I tended to go for one shade slightly darker than my natural skin tone as I then didn't bother with bronzer! The good thing is you can order sample pots of it, they're something like £1 each I think (and you'll get at least 2-3 applications out of it though it looks a miniscule amount) so it's great for testing the shade and practising how to apply it and seeing if you like it before commiting to buying a whole pot and wasting money. I like MAC's Select SPF foundation too, and their concealer is really good for covering blemishes too, particularly when applied with a small brush. It's about £16 per bottle I think, and I get through one every two months or so I'd say. I do think cheap makeup is such a false economy though and especially with foundation, which can make or break your whole look in my opinion. A lot of the cheaper brands (and believe me I've tried loads!) just aren't as good, don't last as long and you often need to cake on to get the right coverage. The Lily Lolo isn't too expensive and definitely worth it, although in the long run if you go for something else, definitely visit a few beauty counters (MAC, Prescriptives, Estee Lauder, Bobbi Brown) and try out some different ones to work out what you need from it and also to find the right shade (always check it out in the daylight too, not just in store - I never buy something like a new foundation there and then, always go outside and walk around in it a bit first!), but definitely save up and spend a little extra if you can as you'll really notice the difference in quality between the cheaper and slightly higher end brands.

ReputationRep:
    For mineral make-up everydayminerals is really good too. You can order sample packs for just the postage and you get 3 foundations, 1 concealer and 1 blusher for the pack. I've ordered a few of them until I found the perfect colour and consistency and now its really awesome as I've got a foundation that matches the colour of my skin perfectly and looks supernatural.

ReputationRep:
    prettyblueeyes - out of interest, are you prone to spots, and also, which exfoliator do you use?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.