Do I have to ditch my insurance offer before going into clearing? Watch

BobbyB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Quick question:

If I miss my firm, could I then go into clearing but hold back my insurance offer incase nothing comes of it. Or would I have to can my insurance offer before going into clearing?
IndiePixie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be in clearing you have to hold no offers
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i believe you have to ask your insurance university nicely to get them to release you.
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's kind of cheating, but you can call up unis on results day and say you've called up your insurance to release you, but they're taking their time, and see which unis have places available and if you meet the requirements. It's best to get the courses in a newspaper released on that day as opposed to doing it through clearing, just to ensure you have your insurance as a back up.
Isabel_2009
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i went throu clearing, i phoned up unis and asked for places and information, they can not hold a clearing place for u until u fully declined both ur choices as on the system u will come up as already attatched to another uni.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Isabel_2009)
i went throu clearing, i phoned up unis and asked for places and information, they can not hold a clearing place for u until u fully declined both ur choices as on the system u will come up as already attatched to another uni.
You can't negotiate a release through UCAS; you have to contact unis directly and they may not deal with your request quickly by then as they will be busy with people who do want to go to their university .
polka_dott
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes you do but it might take a while as it was said before they will be dealing with people who do want to go to their university. Also, they may not consider you first in clearing if you do have an insurance as there will be some that don't have any university to go to.
Isabel_2009
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Each university has a clearing hotline so ur clearing place would be dealt with at a reasonable speed. On the day of results u decide whether u want to try for another university. If u get a place through clearing, u get a 'clearing passport' throu UCAS, after sending this to ur new chosen uni ur place is confirmed, if u decide what u want to do and have a plan the process can be done with reasonable speed
paperclip
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They won't speak to you until you have declined your offer, but you can lie and say that you have declined your offer but are still waiting for your clearing passport. In most cases they'll talk to you.

Universities are instructed to only release you into clearing for particular reasons, it's easiest to say when phoning up your insurance, that you have to go through clearing because of financial difficulties so you have to go to a closer university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (64)
29.63%
No - I got the required grades (123)
56.94%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (29)
13.43%

Watched Threads