The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jat90
Just done one for question 3. Again would appreciate your feedback:

Comment upon the potential effectiveness of the price controls put forward by the EU and Russia governments to control food price inflation. [10] (Extract 3)

Inflation can be defined as a rise in the price level which is sustained over time. It is measured using the Consumer Price Index which is an index based on a basket of goods and services frequently bought by consumers. A policy put forward with respect to price controls by the Russian Government is the imposition of a maximum price.

(Max price diagram here)

This will of course only be effective if the maximum price (PMax) is below the equilibrium price as shown in the above diagram. This policy will be successful with one respect as it keeps a maximum price level on foodstuffs thereby preventing further inflation which is what the policy is aimed to do. However this will mean that quantity demanded (Qd) exceeds quantity supplied (Qs). Hence by imposing a maximum price, a situation is created whereby the country cannot provide enough food for itself and this could lead to inequity as a by-product of curbing inflation and hence would be quite unpopular as it has been quoted as a throwback to soviet style central planning whereby market forces are eliminated. This would mean that people who need the food most may not get it and could result in higher income inequality and absolute poverty levels increasing. Prices cannot act as reliable signals for resource allocation under this scheme so this may lead to allocative inefficiency with some industries declining as consumer preference through market forces cannot be displayed. Also, this approach could lead to a formation of black market whereby prices are higher than the maximum price as people would be prepared to pay more for food that is in short supply. A black market will affect tax revenue and may worsen the position of the macro-economy as government expenditure will decline.

A policy that has been implemented by the EU is the reduction in tariffs.

(D/S diagram here showing outwards shift in S)

A reduction in tariffs will have several effects. Food imports can be considered inputs to further food manufacturing and so if there is a decrease in tariff and hence price of imports, then the costs of production will decrease. This will tend to make firms increase there output thereby causing s to shift outwards to s1 and the price to fall from p to p1. This would ultimately help offset food price inflation.

(Tariff diagram here showing a reduction)

Also, a tariff reduction will give rise to an increase in imports (Q2-Q1) compared to the amount imported when a tariff was imposed (Q4-Q3). This would mean that consumers would now have access to cheaper goods from abroad rather than being forced to buy consumer goods. This will put a downward pressure on price. Also the shaded area indicates a gain in consumer surplus which was previously tax revenue and deadweight loss to society. Also at this lower price domestic production will decrease which will mean domestic agriculture industry will decrease which is beneficial in the long term as it allows the country to produce where they have a comparative advantage and hence boost world output. Although this will likely cause unemployment in the short run.

Good answer, covered all of what i'd put in there anyways.
vinsta
Yeah you should be able to. If you get over 85/120 you will have a B assuming the 335/600.

Well, yeah, but that 335 isn't including unit 7, just 1-4. I need an A overall.

I have done way less revision than I should but I should get a B no problem but I want an A preferably. I probably won't get a chance to practice questions so i'm going to work through this thread and compile ideas before I go to bed and I'm just generally memorising everything that could possibly come up as when I do that, I don't usually even need to practice. I will also memorise the answers to the mock cos they're bound to have related questions at least that I can add points to from the mark scheme.
Question 2 of the mock, when it asks you to analyse or comment in question 3, do they require evaluation and conclusion?
Jat90

Analyse, using an appropriate supply and demand diagram, why food prices rose in the EU during 2007/08. [9] (Extract 2 and 3)

Mentioned a lot about supply side in your answer, but maybe could back it up with demand too? Ie, increase in demand from the develloping economies? (This was relevent to the time in which the exam was set, althought demand has fallen due to the global recession)

Other than that, good again. Maybe if you're going for a a top answer you could include a cost and revenue diagram? to show the effect of rising costs of production from a firms point of view, leading to higher prices for consumers. (ie, an increase in Marginal Cost, increasing Average Costs) leading to smaller profit.
Reply 504
Can someone please reassure me that I don't need to make profound points regarding negative externalities and whatnot to do well in this paper? All of you seem to have it pretty well covered whereas I basically know the content+evaluation points whereas i think i just lack that EDGE, i mean that answer posted by Jan90 doesnt have anything that i dont understand/wouldnt have put in, it just sounds good and A grade. I'm scared that what i write just isn't going to be.

I spose i'll bear in mind that i only need 132/120 from this and work and leisure for the A, i'd like to feel that i deserve the grade though. i've revised so much less for this than my AS's and jan exams, i dont know where the times gone!
Reply 505
Why did the EU actually decide to sell all of its butter stocks?
nick-33
Can someone please reassure me that I don't need to make profound points regarding negative externalities and whatnot to do well in this paper? All of you seem to have it pretty well covered whereas I basically know the content+evaluation points whereas i think i just lack that EDGE, i mean that answer posted by Jan90 doesnt have anything that i dont understand/wouldnt have put in, it just sounds good and A grade. I'm scared that what i write just isn't going to be.

I spose i'll bear in mind that i only need 132/120 from this and work and leisure for the A, i'd like to feel that i deserve the grade though. i've revised so much less for this than my AS's and jan exams, i dont know where the times gone!

Tbh there's a lot on negative externalities in the extracts.

I'd go for just learning the definition, just quickly go over merit/demerit goods and learn the negative + positive externality diagrams. They're not hard at all.
Jat90
Just done one for question 3. Again would appreciate your feedback:

Comment upon the potential effectiveness of the price controls put forward by the EU and Russia governments to control food price inflation. [10] (Extract 3)

Inflation can be defined as a rise in the price level which is sustained over time. It is measured using the Consumer Price Index which is an index based on a basket of goods and services frequently bought by consumers. A policy put forward with respect to price controls by the Russian Government is the imposition of a maximum price.

(Max price diagram here)

This will of course only be effective if the maximum price (PMax) is below the equilibrium price as shown in the above diagram. This policy will be successful with one respect as it keeps a maximum price level on foodstuffs thereby preventing further inflation which is what the policy is aimed to do. However this will mean that quantity demanded (Qd) exceeds quantity supplied (Qs). Hence by imposing a maximum price, a situation is created whereby the country cannot provide enough food for itself and this could lead to inequity as a by-product of curbing inflation and hence would be quite unpopular as it has been quoted as a throwback to soviet style central planning whereby market forces are eliminated. This would mean that people who need the food most may not get it and could result in higher income inequality and absolute poverty levels increasing. Prices cannot act as reliable signals for resource allocation under this scheme so this may lead to allocative inefficiency with some industries declining as consumer preference through market forces cannot be displayed. Also, this approach could lead to a formation of black market whereby prices are higher than the maximum price as people would be prepared to pay more for food that is in short supply. A black market will affect tax revenue and may worsen the position of the macro-economy as government expenditure will decline.

A policy that has been implemented by the EU is the reduction in tariffs.

(D/S diagram here showing outwards shift in S)

A reduction in tariffs will have several effects. Food imports can be considered inputs to further food manufacturing and so if there is a decrease in tariff and hence price of imports, then the costs of production will decrease. This will tend to make firms increase there output thereby causing s to shift outwards to s1 and the price to fall from p to p1. This would ultimately help offset food price inflation.

(Tariff diagram here showing a reduction)

Also, a tariff reduction will give rise to an increase in imports (Q2-Q1) compared to the amount imported when a tariff was imposed (Q4-Q3). This would mean that consumers would now have access to cheaper goods from abroad rather than being forced to buy consumer goods. This will put a downward pressure on price. Also the shaded area indicates a gain in consumer surplus which was previously tax revenue and deadweight loss to society. Also at this lower price domestic production will decrease which will mean domestic agriculture industry will decrease which is beneficial in the long term as it allows the country to produce where they have a comparative advantage and hence boost world output. Although this will likely cause unemployment in the short run.

It looks like you've covered everything there, but is that really what the mark scheme would want? The question asks about how effective it would be to control food price inflation, so is all of that relevant?
Hrov
Why did the EU actually decide to sell all of its butter stocks?

From what i understand, they only bought the butter stocks as part of the origional CAP. They bought butter stocks to maintain high prices for farmers. That proved an inefficient method so when they decided to reform the cap they decided to go from guarenteeing prices for farmers to providing them with income support.

They sold of all the remaining butter moutain stocks to allow a the free market to arrive at the price for butter.
Reply 509
Init4Beans
Mentioned a lot about supply side in your answer, but maybe could back it up with demand too? Ie, increase in demand from the develloping economies? (This was relevent to the time in which the exam was set, althought demand has fallen due to the global recession)

Other than that, good again. Maybe if you're going for a a top answer you could include a cost and revenue diagram? to show the effect of rising costs of production from a firms point of view, leading to higher prices for consumers. (ie, an increase in Marginal Cost, increasing Average Costs) leading to smaller profit.

Thanks for the feedback, your right demand side fluctutations should be talked about too,I will put that in. The Cost Revenue diagram never occured to me, but I agree that would be a very good addition. Good points, thanks again !
Reply 510
Jat90
Higher costs to firms in terms of expensive inputs such as feed wheat and fertiliser (back it up from data in ex 1) will cause supply of butter to decrease (S/D diagram?) increasing price. End of cap intervention scheme may intially lower price in short run (shift rightwards in supply) but long run supply may become limited (net effect shift left in supply)

Just a few thoughts, quite possible question tbh

:eek:
whats feed wheat (how is this linked to butter?)

Is feed wheat like a nutrient/food to grow food for animals/ plants etc?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why were oil prices rising so much in the time period under consideration?
Reply 512
gangsta316
It looks like you've covered everything there, but is that really what the mark scheme would want? The question asks about how effective it would be to control food price inflation, so is all of that relevant?

It said "comment on the potential effectiveness" so I just gave some drawbacks, tbh I wouldn't know if it would credited. I think it should though?
Reply 513
miml
Taking this as well tommorrow. Someone want to explain that if we have a maximum price situation in a centrally planned economy, how can one argue that there will be a decreased supply. I mean the very nature of a centrally planned economy is that there is are few if any reactions to price by firms, and the profit motive is not really there. Surely then setting a maximum price has no effect on the incentive for producers to supply?

Russia isn't a centrally planned economy. The point made by the extract is that even setting a maximum price is a throwback towards the government deciding what to do - they aren't deciding output at this stage though, merely price.
Reply 514
can we take the prerelease with our annotations in with us?
also does anyone know how long the exam is, and how much time to spend on each question roughly?
MsP
can we take the prerelease with our annotations in with us?
also does anyone know how long the exam is, and how much time to spend on each question roughly?

No i don't think we can - unfortunately!
the exam is either an hour 40 or an hour 45!
Reply 516
miml
Taking this as well tommorrow. Someone want to explain that if we have a maximum price situation in a centrally planned economy, how can one argue that there will be a decreased supply. I mean the very nature of a centrally planned economy is that there is are few if any reactions to price by firms, and the profit motive is not really there. Surely then setting a maximum price has no effect on the incentive for producers to supply?

Draw an S/D diagram and show a Max price below equilibrium. You will see demand exceeds domestic supply
miml

I think what you're trying to understand is that in a Centrally Planned economy, the government controls everything. So even though theory states there should be a decrease in supply, this wont happen as the government controls supply.

If you're applying it to todays Russa, the government should subsidse supply making it increase, so the excess demand isnt as large as under the free market.
Reply 518
this is a really vague question but can anyone tell me how any of the policies/ situations in the stimulus material are regressive? thanks
Reply 519
Here's my shot at Q4. This one was tough, I would really like your thoughts on additions please !

Discuss the economic consequences of the EU and US biofuels policy for the global economy [15] (Extract 4a and 4b)

Both the EU and the US have set out policies to ultimately promote the production of biofuels rather than relying on oil. The reasons for this are mainly to reduce the over reliance on fossil fuels which will soon become exhausted and switch to a more environmentally friendly source of fuel. The EU is also committed to making an 8% reduction in carbon dioxide commission by 2012.

Promoting the production of biofuels has several benefits. It has been recognised that global warming has become a major global issue as it can impact not only on the quality of life but also the economy. If global warming increases, the average temperature of the earth will steadily increase overtime. This will mean that in some parts of the world the production of food becomes much harder because of the possibility of draught becoming evermore frequent. It would then be common that food would be undersupplied and this would impact globally on inflation. Hence it is important to reduce global warming for the long term state of our economy. Switching to biofuels, which releases substantially less CO2 than burning fossil fuels such as oil, will then be beneficial to the world economy and quality of life.

(Negative Externality diagram here)

Also, the production of Carbon dioxide emissions is a negative externality and hence causes market failure. This is because the private costs faced by the firms producing it is lower than the social costs to society as a whole and so the price will not take into context the external costs it places on society. This is demonstrated in the diagram above. Firms will produce when D (Marginal Social Benefit) = Marginal Private Cost, which is given by the quantity Q1. However at this quantity, the Marginal Social Cost is greater than the MPC. Therefore a reduction in output to Q* will be where MSC = MSB which is beneficial to society as the externality is internalised. This correction of market failure can be bought about by increasing the production of biofuels as they release less CO2 the quantity produced will be less and this causes a reduction in market failure. By doing this, the Kyoto target will be more easily reached.

Increased investment in Biofuel production and other green technologies would be a form of Government Expenditure. This is a component of Aggregate Demand. Therefore an increase in government investment will have beneficial economic effects. It will boost Aggregate demand as the AD curve will shift to the right, and it could also potentially reduce inflationary pressure as the AS curve will also shift to the right due to the government investment in the more productive technology, if AS expands more than AD, inflationary pressure will decrease whilst increasing the productive capacity of the economy and increasing employment. This would therefore solve 2 macro-economic objectives as by product of reducing carbon dioxide emissions.

[AD/AS diagram showing inward shift in AS]

However encouraging biofuel production will have negative effects. The main one is the decreased production of food for human consumption. There is a trade-off emerging here between food production and biofuel production. If less food is being produced, this will contribute to inflation as the supply curve will shift from AS to AS1, causing the output produced to fall from Q to Q1 and the price level to rise from P to P1. Inflation can be detrimental to an economy due its effect on Investment. If investors perceive they will have less demand for their products at the higher price level, they will choose not to do so. By doing this, the AS curve will not expand as much as it could have, this will dampen economic growth which is considered the most important macro-economic objective as it ultimately improves the quality of life of a country’s citizens.

[Externality diagram showing steeper MSC]

Also, it is mentioned in Extract 4b, that the production of biofuels ignored the effect of nitrogen fertilisers which would be used more to produce biofuel crops. It is argued that nitrogen fertilisers release a greenhouse gas – nitrous oxide – which is nearly 300 times as powerful as Carbon Dioxide. This would mean that the MSC would infact be much steeper then the government anticipated. Therefore at the quantity produced, MSC would heavily outweigh MPC showing that this would actually increase market failure, this is due to lack of information by the government and is hence government failure.

Latest

Trending

Trending