Durham or Bath Watch

RAINEY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm a Chinese student and got the Accounting&Finance offer of both Durham and Bath. So which is better, can I get any native opinion?
MyNameIsDave
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bath.
RAINEY
Rep:
?
Why? More precisely please.
Prudy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RAINEY)
Durham has a collegiate system which helps with getting to know people, you'll be living in a new college (either John Snow or Stevenson) so that'll be nice, the main city is a mere half hour away from Stockon, and is gorgeous. I love Durham tbh.
MyNameIsDave
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bath's a better university in Accounting and Finance. I think it's one of the best after the very top ones, whereas it's not Durham's best area. So while typically similiar universities, they are areas that they excel/struggle in respectively. Durham's probably closer to Newcastle and Northumbria in that area..

Furthermore, Stockton campus isn't everyone's cup of tea. So if you haven't visited, that's a big risk - You wouldn't be getting the ancient town and history and all that at that campus, which by your applying to Bath, perhaps is what you want.

People on the Durham forum will be biased towards Durham, by the way, but I'd honestly not want to spend any period of time in Stockton*.

* I don't live far from Stockton, before it's claimed that I've never actually been. I can get there in twenty minutes by train - After Splash, a cinema, and a pretty small town centre, there's not much worth shouting about.
alice1987
Report 9 years ago
I think what the guy above is saying is right, be careful if you chose the Durham course because of the beautiful city because I'm p.sure accounting is down at Stockton which is nearer Teeside than Durham (about half an hour away)...although there is a free bus for students and staff between the two. I'd just be careful..although i'm sure as with most courses at Durham you won't really regret the course.
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bath, but only for this course. Everything else, go Durham!
Winmore
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the accounting and finance course is in stockton, which isn't durham city... it's like 20+ minutes away... and less prestigious as Bath.. for A&F
RAINEY
Rep:
?
But my friend in Bath who is also majoring in Accounting&Finance told me this is a newly-established major in Bath and the grade-3 student are the first ones. Is Bath good at management? BTW, I've got the offers of MSC. Is postgraduate couse of A&F in stockton too? Thx guys.
RAINEY
Rep:
?
(Original post by Winmore)
the accounting and finance course is in stockton, which isn't durham city... it's like 20+ minutes away... and less prestigious as Bath.. for A&F

But my friend in Bath who is also majoring in Accounting&Finance told me this is a newly-established major in Bath and the grade-3 student are the first ones. Is Bath good at management? BTW, I've got the offers of MSC. Is postgraduate couse of A&F in stockton too? Thx guys.
RAINEY
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=MyNameIsDave]Bath's a better university in Accounting and Finance. I think it's one of the best after the very top ones, whereas it's not Durham's best area. So while typically similiar universities, they are areas that they excel/struggle in respectively. Durham's probably closer to Newcastle and Northumbria in that area..
QUOTE]

River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Prudy)
Durham has a collegiate system which helps with getting to know people, you'll be living in a new college (either John Snow or Stevenson) so that'll be nice, the main city is a mere half hour away from Stockon, and is gorgeous. I love Durham tbh.
My Prudy, please don't make George Stephenson cry.

(Original post by Winmore)
More like 40 minutes but that's pedanticness. I think Durham's postgrad business programmes are based in Durham itself.

But, even if we were talking about undergrad at Stockton, to say its less prestigious is quite misleading. How do you define prestigious? At the end of the day a student will still have a degree from one of the top universities in the country. They will not be at any disadvantaged when compared with a Bath grad. It would really come down to degree class and experience rather than university name.

No, all postgraduate programmes are at Durham as far as I'm aware. Durham's bbusiness school has more of a postgraduate focus in my opinion so that helps. As Prudy has said, Durham has a great collegiate system (with extra social opportunities and personal support). But, in Durham, you have a wider variety of colleges. There's the postgraduate only college (Ustinov) but all colleges have a postgraduate community. Have you applied to a college?

Bath is the larger city (although neither are large cities) both are old and historical.

I don't know anything about their Accounting and finance programme but, as business schools, both Bath and Durham are equally matched. Both are fairly strong, not CASS, Warwick, LSE quality but not far off. However, Durham arguably has greater international recognitiona and representation (which is better than most give it credit for).

I'll try and add more later.
RAINEY
Rep:
?
(Original post by River85)
There's the postgraduate only college (Ustinov) but all colleges have a postgraduate community. Have you applied to a college?

I was arranged in the Ustinov Colloge and applied for the dorm in Howland. Is there far away from Bussiness school?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (34)
26.77%
No (93)
73.23%

Watched Threads