I don't know which subject to choose! Watch

SuperCat007
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, I'm new here so bare with me!

I really want to apply to Cambridge. I originally wanted to do medicine however I have had to have two years off. I've had Glandular fever which then led to CFS and a year after that my dad died so I've had quite a disrupted couple fo years. So for that reason I'm 19 and have just started my A levels!

Like I said I despereately want to do medicine and with the subjects I have Cambridge wouldn't accept me unless I had AS maths aswell which I'm going to have a go at next year.But the reason I'm posting on here is that I'm now having doubts about doing medicine because although I'm fascinated by it I'm not convinced it is the right subject to do considering my situation. I know that natural sciences also looks really interesting and to be honest I haven't asked as many questions about that.

I think I'm just trying to get some advice from people who are there and doing it what the two courses (natural sciences and medicine) are actually like because I'm totally confused and although medicine is what I originally wanted to do I'm questioning whether it's a good idea because I may even be better at natural sciences!

Can you tell I'm totally confused?! Thank you for reading my essay! Any help/advice would be great.
--
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't do something you're not as into just because you're better at it, a passion for your subject and a real enjoyment of what you're doing deep down is what drags you through the tough times - and there will be a fair few here. Also, I presume you've already looked at the Cambridge Special Access Scheme? It would certainly apply in your case.

Oh, and Natural Sciences still relies on a fair amount of maths knowledge, in the first year especially (when you can then dictate your own choices with a fair amount of freedom).
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whats your CFS like now? Both courses are very work intensive and you may very well struggle to keep up here. I switched to a course with much lower workload because of it and still struggle to keep up. It's worth thinking about what you can physically do, its very stressful here and it really takes its toll. I was much better after my time out before coming to Cambridge but you forget about the everyday things you have to do for yourself that really take it out of you.

Just a word of warning onthat front. What subjects are you doing?
SuperCat007
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My CFS is loads better now. I do qualify for the special access scheme too. I'm doing Human Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and I'm going to to AS maths next year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.46%
No (613)
72.54%

Watched Threads