Law At Uni - What can you do afterwards?? Watch

PrincessAriadne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My friend is taking law at university, and is unsure what she wants to do with her life after Uni. :unsure: She's starting to have doubts about even being a lawyer/judge etc, and I'm trying to cheer her up and help her decide and feel more sure.

My question is (to all you law buffs): What careers can you pursue with a law degree?
PrincessAriadne
Rep:
?
Bump?
fioram
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Apart from being a lawyer, Law is a bit of a nothing degree. I think it's better to do a broad subject like English/History/Chemistry or something.
moonshine_1991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think you can go into almost any govt. job. The skills you will learn in a law degree will be transferable so quite a lot of jobs. Journalism maybe?
blinkbelle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Its one of the most prestigious degrees you can do, bodes well for all sorts of different graduate level jobs! xx
vahik92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well, lawyers get extremely good salary if they're good at law, e.g. barristers, solicitors - however if she gets a first class degree in law she will be able to virtually work anywhere (not of course jobs that require deep knowledge e.g. engineer, doctor but she can work for any business not just as a lawyer but as a general adviser, she can go places like MI6 because places like MI6 do not have any technical courses needed, all that is needed is cognitive and developed logical thinking and certainly if your friend does well on the degree, she will have loads and loads of opportunities). Obviously law is a very good course in terms of that only the most intelligent people do law and there are lots of jobs that require inteligent people and not people with a good knowledge of a certain subject.
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fioram)
Apart from being a lawyer, Law is a bit of a nothing degree. I think it's better to do a broad subject like English/History/Chemistry or something.
law is anything but a nothing degree

OP don't listen to this tool. Law is good for anything really, it's gives you an understand of one of societies most important functions, and also an insight into politics, business and the commerical world.

Youw ill actually find many leading politicians have law degrees. A law degree is highly respected and you can do alot of different things with it. I dont want to be a solicitor or barrister myself and have already considered possibilities of teaching, doing business graduate scemes, HR and manhy other role within a commercial context.

It is not the career that you think you want that should frive you through a degree, it is the passion for what you are larbning and a firm uinderstanding of the law ill help you on any career path you choose.
Snookercraze
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The obvious ones are pursuing a career as a solicitor or barrister.

If these are not on her agenda, then the Civil Service may be an option, teaching etc.

But it is an amazing degree to have... the oppurtunities are quite splendid.
missimpossible
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think I really need to say that this is utter rubbish, but I will anyway...

It's utter rubbish.

Law qualifies you for many, many careers that do not involve being a solicitor, eg. in politics, the civil service, media, business, and so on. It's the thought processes that you need to be skilled in that make Law such a versatile degree (not that I'm for a minute devaluing more specific subject degrees!)
vahik92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PrincessRose5)
My friend is taking law at university, and is unsure what she wants to do with her life after Uni. :unsure: She's starting to have doubts about even being a lawyer/judge etc, and I'm trying to cheer her up and help her decide and feel more sure.

My question is (to all you law buffs): What careers can you pursue with a law degree?
by the way, the president of Russia Medvedev is qualified as a lawyer and is a president now - so..
Bluebird92
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm pretty sure Hilary Clinton is a qualified lawyer. In fact, most of them in America are. Did Obama study Law at Harvard?
artemisa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Paralegal, Human Resources etc.
joeyXCORE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is totally wrong - its a well respected degree with transferable skills to many areas.

Could be an accountant or journalist?
blinkbelle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Obama was a legal academic, was he not? xx
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Surely a troll? I refuse to believe that anyone could be that stupid.

You can do any career you like, in exactly the same way you can with a English/History/Chemistry degree Really, how many people's degrees maps on exactly to what they do as a job? In fact Law is very broad and develops some of the most desired transferable skills around.
PrincessAriadne
Rep:
?
(Original post by jacketpotato)
Surely a troll? I refuse to believe that anyone could be that stupid.

You can do any career you like, in exactly the same way you can with a English/History/Chemistry degree Really, how many people's degrees maps on exactly to what they do as a job? In fact Law is very broad and develops some of the most desired transferable skills around.
So after a law degree you could just go for other (un-law related) jobs? You wouldn't have to have specific training (eg accountant/journalist/politics etc)?
vahik92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So after a law degree you could just go for other (un-law related) jobs? You wouldn't have to have specific training (eg accountant/journalist/politics etc)?
you could do if you want to - not all politicians have done politics and international relations and not all aircraft engineers did aerospace engineering courses - so if you go to a university it does not mean you will be able to work only as what you qualified in - that's wrong.
__Katy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Totally wrong, ignore this.

Law will give you far more transferrable skills for the workplace than a more "broad" degree.

I would say that most office jobs, business, civil service and etc. Law leaves a lot of opportunities as it a very respected degree.
__Katy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Tony Blair studied Law, and was a barrister before he went into politics. Apparently a lot of politicians were in law before politics (or so my Mum tells me :p:)

Accountant - You may need additional qualifications for that (I have a relation who had too, but she is a chartered accountant, so it may be different)

Journalism would be fine, Law is an essay based subject where you use words with precise skill.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Absolutely!

Very few accountants studies Accountancy at uni (and even those who did still have to take a professional accountancy course like all the people who didn't study it at uni anyway) and very few politicians did politics at uni.

All the jobs open to a English/History graduate, are, of course, open to a law graduate. Very few people who study English or History go on to become a author or Historian!

Vice versa, roughly 50% of people who are becoming solicitors/barristers these days didn't do law at uni.

There's absolutely no reason that a law student should become a lawyer anymore than a History graduate should become a Historian (although probably more people choose to become lawyers because of the money, but thats another thing entirely).
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?