Turn on thread page Beta

Going For Random Drives - Stories watch

ReputationRep:
    Share your stories from your adventures of going for random drives.

Discovered something? Got lost? Ended miles from home in another city? etc

ReputationRep:
    I went on a random drive through the peak district, ended up in Liverpool. God knows how that happened!

ReputationRep:
    Went for a drive along a country road one day last summer, somehow managed to end up in Shrewsbury after following a fantastic country road, not really sure how that one worked to be honest :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm too much of a wuss to go for random drives. I'd get lost then panic.

ReputationRep:
    Haha. I love random drives!

My friend went on a random drive through the countryside. He drove 45 miles and flipped his car by accident!

Moral of the story? He was a bit of a muppet!

ReputationRep:
    If only I had a car... =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixster)
    I'm too much of a wuss to go for random drives. I'd get lost then panic.
    You really can't get lost. If you feel that you no longer know where you are and want to go home, get on to a main road and follow it and it will eventually lead to signs and just follow 'Town Centre' and you will end up in your town centre.

If you are exploring in the country, at the end of all the countries roads there are signs pointing left and right with cities or villages on them.

Get out there and explore!

ReputationRep:
    too many random drives to name..ended up goin Wales once..boorrinngg

ReputationRep:
    How the heck do you get lost in a country that is less than 1000 miles long and less than 500 miles wide.
    It's hardly america!

Anyway, back on topic...

I once went out for fish n chips and came home with a Volvo?

(Original post by P1mP)
    too many random drives to name..ended up goin Wales once..boorrinngg
    Most rural Welsh roads are anything but boring!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    ...I once went out for fish n chips and came home with a Volvo?
    What did it taste like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skids)
    Most rural Welsh roads are anything but boring!
    OOhh, haha..not that! the roads are actually really cool to drive on...boring because it was late at night and there appeared to be nothing to do..unless you can suggest some good places in North Wales:p:

ReputationRep:
    I went driving through the countryside a few weeks ago at about 9pm, and didn't quite realise how dark it would be, with no road lighting or even lights in the distance, it was completely pitch black.

I had full beam headlights and the foglights on, but it was still difficult to see. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw nothing at all, just black. Eventually I wussed out ad turned around.

ReputationRep:
    I left my house about 11pm about 12.30am I was stopped in a village about 40miles away from home, just sitting there chilling for a couple of minutes. A police van drove past , saw me and came over. They asked if everything was OK and what I was doing. I explained I had just stopped for a break. They asked where I was heading. I explained I had come through from wherever. They asked why I had come here. I said I had just came for a random drive. They were confused as to why I would do this and said they were suspicious as they usually know everybody in the village/ They checked my details over the radio. They then decided to search me and my car as they thought I had drugs. About 20 minutes later they decided I had done nothing wrong and let me on my way.

ReputationRep:
    go straight on the motorway--oh that was an eventful day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_cool)
    I left my house about 11pm about 12.30am I was stopped in a village about 40miles away from home, just sitting there chilling for a couple of minutes. A police van drove past , saw me and came over. They asked if everything was OK and what I was doing. I explained I had just stopped for a break. They asked where I was heading. I explained I had come through from wherever. They asked why I had come here. I said I had just came for a random drive. They were confused as to why I would do this and said they were suspicious as they usually know everybody in the village/ They checked my details over the radio. They then decided to search me and my car as they thought I had drugs. About 20 minutes later they decided I had done nothing wrong and let me on my way.
    You should have refused; you were doing nothing wrong and they had no right to search / interrogate you.

I would have remained silent, or told them 'none of your business'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SovietRussiaFH)
    You should have refused; you were doing nothing wrong and they had no right to search / interrogate you.

I would have remained silent, or told them 'none of your business'.
    Yea in hindsight I should have told them where to go. They might have got a bit annoyed if I refused to speak to them tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_cool)
    Yea in hindsight I should have told them where to go. They might have got a bit annoyed if I refused to speak to them tho.
    It's easier to just co-operate and be on your way in twenty minutes or so. If you start getting all cocky/arsey, then chances are they'll make your life as difficult as possible. If you don't tell them who you are, they'll haul you to the station to find out. Most traffic police are decent chaps, and even if they aren't just remain polite and play the "Yes, sir. No, sir. Three bags full, sir" game and you'll be on your way in no time.

ReputationRep:
    one piece of advice just co-operate with traffic police and do whatever they want because if you muck them about theyll start checking round your vehicle for defects!!1

ReputationRep:
    Went for a ride on 50cc bikes with a mate over Cairn O' Mount (Aboyne to Fettercairn), mates 1982 Yamaha Fizzy got its back break stuck on going up. So max speed was about 5mpg revving the bike tonnes with lots of black smoke and a big queue.

We eventually found some council guys working on the road they lent us some tools and we got it fixed. Not that funny, but scary as on the way back the lay by where we parked our bikes had a rolled over ford focus that had just crashed into it.

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.