someone just broke into my house while I was in it :( Watch

invictus_veritas
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I was typing some notes up on my laptop when I heard a really loud knock on the front door, so I looked out of the window and saw a man. There was a white van parked in our driveway too. Anyway I had to get changed before answering the door, so was a bit slow in opening it.

When I got outside I saw that the side gate was open (it is always locked and bolted) and could not see the man anywhere, but his van was still there. I went upstairs and called the police; they asked me to look out of the window and see what the man was doing in the back/ round the side. Anyway before I could two men had come out of the side gate and onto the driveway, they kept looking around for something/ someone (I think they may have heard me) and drove off in their van. Basically one had knocked on the door, while the other climbed over the side gate and unlocked it.

I called the police and they came round to interview me, spoke to some of the neighbours and are now investigating, but I'm still shaking. I literally was standing in my study with a metal bar waiting for the two men to come upstairs, but fortunately they didn't.

Any ideas how I can calm myself down?

Also I need to go out in a few hours and I really don't know what to do because all of my stuff is in the house and it would be awful if anything was stolen. What should I do? Should I take my laptop to my grandparents house, which isn't far away?
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd doubt they'll come back, I wouldn't worry about it too much. They've got the fear now.

As for calming yourself down - do something physical for 20/30 mins, it'll help!

Also, kudos for waiting with a metal bar!
fran.ha
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is my worst nightmare! You handled it well. I'd just sit down and watch something calming on TV or read a book.
Bexxxx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You did the right thing, it is pretty doubtful they will try the same house twice so don't worry.
Deanna19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
dude you know martial arts why are you worried
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had some guy break into my house while my girlfriend was there. I got sliced up a bit on my wrist, arm and neck, but eventually the guy was arrested by 11 cops.

It takes a while for normality to return, but it does eventually. Chill out for a bit and try to take your mind off it.
Rei
Badges: 1
Report 9 years ago
All those Martial arts for what? you still felt the need for a weapon :p:

But yeah good choice going with the metal bar.
J4GGYBoss
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well done be strong!!, SCUM OF THE EARTH THESE PEOPLE ARE!
Hana_87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm not sure, but :hugs: thats horrible...
jeh_jeh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Probably not what the OP wants to hear, given the circumstances, but I know you...! Not in a creepy, stalkerish way - I'm not your intruder! - but, yeah, pretty sure we go to uni together.

Anyway, I doubt they'll come back - they're not stupid enough to think that you'll leave your house so soon after they came the first time - but if you're suspicious, make sure you let the police know again. Just make sure everything's locked and secured, really. When it starts to get dark, put lots of lights on - even in rooms you're not in - and maybe have the television or the radio on so that it's not just you and your silence, jumping at every single little noise.

You've got neighbours, too, yeah? So I'm sure they'll be fairly vigilant. Just try not to worry too much. xxx
Not Invented Yet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:afraid: That is my worst nightmare... and at the moment I'm sat at home alone and I'm convinced I can hear footsteps upstairs. The only reason I'm not freaking out is because no-one would be able to get in to my house without the dogs barking.

It would be really stupid of them to try the same house twice, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. Just keep your metal bar handy and chill out.
invictus_veritas
Rep:
?
(Original post by jeh_jeh)
Probably not what the OP wants to hear, given the circumstances, but I know you...! Not in a creepy, stalkerish way - I'm not your intruder! - but, yeah, pretty sure we go to uni together.

Anyway, I doubt they'll come back - they're not stupid enough to think that you'll leave your house so soon after they came the first time - but if you're suspicious, make sure you let the police know again. Just make sure everything's locked and secured, really. When it starts to get dark, put lots of lights on - even in rooms you're not in - and maybe have the television or the radio on so that it's not just you and your silence, jumping at every single little noise.

You've got neighbours, too, yeah? So I'm sure they'll be fairly vigilant. Just try not to worry too much. xxx

Oooo hey yeah you're on my facebook right? I met you in freshers week then at the UV rave before doing the all nighter to watch the sun rise, before you disappeared with Alex and left me with Kath while drinking vodka for 12 hours straight? Shesh I looked rough after that night. I was still drunk at 14:00 the next day, although to be fair I only stopped drinking and got back to my flat at 10:00. Plus I haven't drunk since then. Amazing what lent and being asked not to drink by one of my best friends can make me achieve.

That night was epic.
kriscs1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, it's not a nice experience.
Happened to me a year ago. Three guys broke straight in through the back door with a knife and baseball bat and robbed my laptop from me.
axl2derv
Report 9 years ago
I have a 22 rifle in my apartment and wouldn't hesitate to use it. If there ends up being a body then it gets shifted. Nobody misses these types of people.
FallenPetal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Did you get the reg on the van?

I know it's horrible now, but years later you will probs be able to look back andlaugh (especially if they catch the buggers )
invictus_veritas
Rep:
?
(Original post by FallenPetal)
Did you get the reg on the van?

I know it's horrible now, but years later you will probs be able to look back andlaugh (especially if they catch the buggers )
Yes I got the registration and they traced it to an address in the same town, however it's likely that the van was stolen, so that probably won't help. I also gave a description of the men.

Three police officers turned up too! Just goes to show you how overfunded surrey police are makes me feel a lot safer.
invictus_veritas
Rep:
?
(Original post by Not Invented Yet)
:afraid: That is my worst nightmare... and at the moment I'm sat at home alone and I'm convinced I can hear footsteps upstairs. The only reason I'm not freaking out is because no-one would be able to get in to my house without the dogs barking.

It would be really stupid of them to try the same house twice, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. Just keep your metal bar handy and chill out.
What I'm most worried about is that they came out after hearing me/ they were doing a practice run to prepare to do it properly later. Do you think that's likely? To the neighbours they just looked like workmen, so it wasn't suspicious until I told them what was going on.
FallenPetal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by invictus_veritas)
Yes I got the registration and they traced it to an address in the same town, however it's likely that the van was stolen, so that probably won't help. I also gave a description of the men.

Three police officers turned up too! Just goes to show you how overfunded surrey police are makes me feel a lot safer.
That's good for you.

I'd also be very grateful nothing got stolen (unless it did, in which case I'd be screaming cuss words at the wall :p: )
Dunc1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldnt worry about it being a practice run. Most burglaries are spontaneous things, as others have said they'd be unlikely to come back.
Dumdedoobie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Awwww!
That's awful!
Chances are they won't try your house again.
Especially if they think you rang the police.
Handled it well, quick thinking.

:hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (115)
72.78%
No (43)
27.22%

Watched Threads