Turn on thread page Beta

Moving between a Masters and phD - registration problems? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been offered a phD place to start in September, but my MSc does not finish until the end of September. The courses are at two different universities.

As I had been told that there is some flexibility in the start date, I was potentially going to ask them if i could start in Oct or finish the MSc sooner.

However, my current uni have come back and said that I cannot cease registration for my MSc until over 12 weeks after my dissertation has been handed in (12 weeks for unratified marks, plus however much longer it would take to go to Senate).

Can I be registered at two unis at once? (I know I cannot be receiving disabled students allowance for two courses at once)

Should I be querying whether this information is correct?

Grateful for any help...
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Yes you can be registered at two universities at once. There is probably some small print somewhere in each uni statutes that stops it, but the aim is to stop you trying to actively study at two at once. But when you are only lingering for administrative reasons, it won't matter. I'm currently registered at two, because of delays in getting a viva date at the last uni.

ReputationRep:
    I am registered at two at the moment Open university and Imperial. Doesn't really matter.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.