Journalism: DMU or Sunderland? Watch

ChunkymunkyDJC
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey there, I'm a bit stuck on which University to go to I've been unconditionally accepted to both courses but I don't know which one is for me.

DMU seems to do a 'better' course, in that it gets higher grades, and is in the process of being NCTJ accredited (they already have their MA course accredited). The thing is, I went down there and they didn't impress me because they were too busy deciding if they wanted you, not if you wanted them. They put us through a test and interview, but didn't really give us any insight into the course and overall the day wasn't organised well. Also the teachers seemed a bit stuck up.

At Sunderland their course is NCTJ accredited and the facilities look great, the teachers all seemed really nice, but it is generally accepted that the course isn't as 'good'.

Now from the outside it looks like a fairly obvious choice, that if I were going to go for the course I thought would suit me more if would be Sunderland. BUT the problem I have is the areas and accommodation.
DMU accommodation looks greats, it is a bit more expensive that Sunderland but it really shows, and it is only 2 minutes walk from the Journalism department. Best of all though is that it most the rooms are en suite.
On the other hand, Sunderland accommodation looks appalling, with it being a 10 minute bus journey to get to the center, and none of its rooms are en suite.
Also with the areas, Leicester looks thriving and very fun, but Sunderland looks quieter but have other things such as huge beaches, both of which really appeal to me.

To summarize:

DMU
Good Accomodation
Good Area (Good nightlife but its just partying)
Course looked unorganised

Sunderland

Course looked good, and definitely NCTJ accredited
Good Area (quieter and more relaxing, but not much nightlife at all)

Accommodation was very bad (I would really prefer to have en suite)

Basically I just need your thoughts about both of these courses if you can, thank you
Caer am Byth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm kind of in the same situation. Although, I haven't applied for DMU, I know someone who works there and he thinks it's likely to be in clearing. Considering I'm going to have to move in with my mum near Leicester when my dad gets married in the summer, I'm considering it. Both courses are NCTC as well, but I definitely agree with you that the course at Sunderland looks better.

Haven't seen DMU itself, though, but I have been up to Sunderland. The staff seemed really friendly and professional, and I was impressed with the place and University as a whole. Haven't seen the Sunderland accommodation, though. Was it really that bad?
apassingfeeling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmmm I dont know much about DeMontfort, but I have a friend who's in his 3rd year of a journalism degree at Sunderland, and although I personally think he's a really good writer and journalist in general, he thinks its been a "complete waste of money" and that most of his coursemates are only at the uni because they didnt get into Sheffield...

Are you sure DeMontfort's undergraduate degree isn't NCTJ accredited? I know a few people who have applied and I'm sure they've said that it is...

You're only in university accommodation for one year. Don't base your decision just on the accommodation.
Caer am Byth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by apassingfeeling)
Hmmm I dont know much about DeMontfort, but I have a friend who's in his 3rd year of a journalism degree at Sunderland, and although I personally think he's a really good writer and journalist in general, he thinks its been a "complete waste of money" and that most of his coursemates are only at the uni because they didnt get into Sheffield...

Are you sure DeMontfort's undergraduate degree isn't NCTJ accredited? I know a few people who have applied and I'm sure they've said that it is...

You're only in university accommodation for one year. Don't base your decision just on the accommodation.
DMU is definitely NCTJ accredited.

http://www.nctj.com/course_introduct..._id=journal_id
apassingfeeling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Caer am Byth)
DMU is definitely NCTJ accredited.

http://www.nctj.com/course_introduct..._id=journal_id
Yeah I thought it was. OP said it was in the process of being accredited though :tongue:
ChunkymunkyDJC
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by apassingfeeling)
Yeah I thought it was. OP said it was in the process of being accredited though :tongue:
That's what the lecturers told me They said that they applied for it but its being processed this year, so if the test scores aren't high enough they won't be NCTJ next year. Only the MA Journalism is definitely accredited.

(Original post by Caer am Byth)
Haven't seen the Sunderland accommodation, though. Was it really that bad?
Well the accommodation I saw was pretty appalling, there is a better one (can't remember the name) that is opposite the river from the Media Center, but it still isn't en suite or anywhere near DeMontfort's, but it's ok if you don't mind sharing the bathroom

I did hear though that Sunderland Uni is making some sort of new £75m center that in will open for the 2010 entry and will have new accommodation, probably en suite I reckon (no good for me now though :P )
greekguy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
De Montfort
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (60)
30.3%
No - I got the required grades (115)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.62%

Watched Threads