Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi i have received offers from manchester and oxford brookes for masters in urban planning.i wanted to know what does the job of an urban planner involve doing.what would be a typical day at the office working as an urban planner in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say there is a "typical day". Have you read the RTPI's overview and articles?

http://www.rtpi.org.uk/education_and...g_as_a_career/

ReputationRep:
    i'm interested in this as well! anyone else have any info?

ReputationRep:
    I'm definately interested in an urban/town planning career. After I've done my geography degree, I think I might do a masters in this field... Not sure yet though.

ReputationRep:
    im thinking about urban design ... i wonder if that differs from urban planning greatly?

ReputationRep:
    hi river85 i had gone through the RTPI website sometime back.i wanted to know from people working in the field today, about their experiences working as urban planners.

ReputationRep:
    I reccomend you watch "The Planners are Coming" on BBC Iplayer, that mainly focuses on pklanning enforcement officers, but also on the planning officers in development control departments of distict councils.
    Also, write to your district council and see if you can get some work experience in their planning department for a week or so in the holidays.
    There are many other planning jobs however outside of the public sector, and so you could be doing a wide range of different things to do with regeneration, transport planning, urban design etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 25, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.