Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey hey! i'm a graphic design student 2nd year and i'm really struggling with this brief that i was given. my brains on shut down mode so i just can't think really annoying! so please help anyone who can give me ideas heres the brief as it is on the page give to me:

this years theme is 'voice'

you are asked to produce an extensive piece of sequential work that will attempt 'to tell a lie convincingly'. The lie that you will tell is of your own choice, this may be humorous, serious, ironic etc

example: eating crust makes your hair curly
    your government will take care of you
    newspapers always tell the truth
    anti wrinkle creams work

you must adopt the standpoint of telling a lie with absolute conviction and certainty no matter how unbelievable or surreal it is. try to be imaginative in your response and the work should be persuasive, dynamic and energetic.

you may choose to look at political propaganda posters, advertising or the portrayal of current event in the popular media for your approach to this brief

thats the brief now sumone please help me with sum initial research direction and juse general help really... i would very much appreciate it thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Well it's always best to do something you're interested in, as you'll motivate yourself more. Are you interested in politics at all? Banksy'd be a good one to look at for some inspiration on that front.

Also you could look at 50's housewives, and Russian propoganda; the only problem being these are all quite obvious, and you probably don't want to end up doing the same thing as everyone else.

I think it'd be quite cute doing lies parents tell their kids, and there's a book of cartoons based on that.

Hope some of that helps!

ReputationRep:
    oo really what books that then???? yes that does help in some ways x

ReputationRep:
    heya
    I had to something like this for my foundation. It was only a two-week brief and we had to make a zine. The brief also allowed us to do an exaggerated truth. I did superstitions some obvious and some not so obvious.

Maybe you could research news stories, myths and legends (maybe a modern interpretation) maybe scientific discoveries. You could twist them some how make them over the top.

um does that help?

ReputationRep:
    You could do a project about "Girls have teeth 'down there'", like in the film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple ink)
    oo really what books that then???? yes that does help in some ways x
    "Great lies to tell small children" and if you google 'Lies to tell small children', there's a list of funny ones you can work from. I do like the myths idea as well though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.