Weird personal trainers Watch

teriaki
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Has anybody else seen personal trainers in gyms make their clients do weird stuff?

I saw this the other day:
Personal trainer made his client step on and off a box while at the same time curling 1kg dumbbells.
Perhaps this is some new method of training I am unaware of but this just seemed really weird.

Other than that, its weird to see how the trainers in my gym always make their clients do machine curls or triceps extensions but never deadlifts or rows.
Though I suppose this is good in a way- the less people there are using the barbells, the better for me.

Anyone else seen similar things?
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A lot of personal trainers are idiots and do not produce good results with clients.

Have you seen the picture of the trainer making his client squat 135lbs ... on a large swiss ball?
Alive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My gym has one proper squat rack. This girl who I occasionally see in the weights room (with some fiiiiiiiiine thick legs) is there with a personal trainer. I ask how many sets they have left, and the trainer is like "We just started" (and seems like a prick). I go outside to do some stretching. When I come back in they're doing power cleans in the squat rack :/ WTF?
Ironmike
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm an advanced PT, and the box stepup is actually a valid exercise. Lets say the client said she wanted to lose weight and tone her arms and backside area (pretty common). In order to maximise calorie burn, you want to perform compound exercises (work multiple joints). This is because the more muscles you are using, the more calories your body demands. With a lot of clients, time is of the essence too. Here, the PT can work the glutes and arms at the same time, therefore meaning more can be squeezed into the workout. To further this exercise, the client should be asked to stepup onto the box into a one leg squat whilst performing the curls one arm at a time. This will challenge the core too. Stepping up onto a bosu might be proposed if the client is advanced and has good stability.

Its true, you do see PT's doing some odd things with clients, but believe me, you see far more gym users doing incredibly odd things with equipment. With regards to squatting 135lbs on a swiss ball, that actually is flipping impressive, if a bit unbelievable to be honest - source? In order to do that, the client would have to have seriously advanced core strength, and great proprioception. It could be construed as dangerous, but to get a client to that stage would have taken a lot of effort.

You would be amased at what you can achieve when you get your stability spot on. The mistake a lot of people make (especially men in their late teens and 20's) is going straight to the heaviest weights they can find and bashing out reps. You will get some quick results, but you could be training so much more effectively. Have a read up on Paul Chek if you want to get a feel for the subject.
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have no source for the 135lbs squat on the Swiss ball, only a picture. And from that picture, it looks like the trainer is helping him balance. A lot. I'll try and find the picture for some lulz.
Sandhu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my_username_was_taken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by teriaki)
Has anybody else seen personal trainers in gyms make their clients do weird stuff?

I saw this the other day:
Personal trainer made his client step on and off a box while at the same time curling 1kg dumbbells.
Perhaps this is some new method of training I am unaware of but this just seemed really weird.

Other than that, its weird to see how the trainers in my gym always make their clients do machine curls or triceps extensions but never deadlifts or rows.
Though I suppose this is good in a way- the less people there are using the barbells, the better for me.

Anyone else seen similar things?
Maybe because people prefer machines overal nowadays, unless they are serious about it. Yeah you will probably say but they are better etc etc, but i'm not talking about the minority who are really serious, i'm talking about the majority who after seeing the peopel at my gym just think they'l get big and ripped in no time, and just do machines. So by doing this more people are catered for? It's part of the fact people seem to think machines are superior than a piece of iron on a bar which looks extremely basic?

Just a guess?
Alive
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
^wat
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sandhu)
[]http://judoinfo.com/discuss/uploads/post-9-1123777814.jpg[/img]
Things to see:
Elephant flying [tick]
Pink floyd reunion [tick]
Guy squatting on a swiss ball [tick]

I've now seen it all.
partychick
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my boyfriend has huge legs and squats 6 plates on a half swiss for 5 reps
Ironmike
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That swiss ball squat is mental. Yes I agree, that is stupid. Exercises should always be safe and effective, and while its impressive, look at his ankles! One slip off that and he is going to break the pair of them! Doing a squat on a bosu, yes thats a good idea, but the swiss ball!!

With regards to machines, you should stay off them where at all possible and use free weights. Doing a bicep curl on a machine is far easier than doing it with correct form standing or on a proprioceptively challenging piece of kit. I see machines as usefull for beginners and certain populations of the gym, but if you are serious, or even semi serious about your body, use free weights everytime!
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by partychick)
my boyfriend has huge legs and squats 6 plates on a half swiss for 5 reps
Cool, take a video and show it to us.
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So far I've only seen two PTs and they both do some sensible stuff - one at my old home gym who typically had clients do a lot of interval work on the rowing machines, and one at my uni gym who has his clients doing some circuit training doing a variety of barbell exercises with good form.

It's the gym instructors who are responsible for most of the bulls***. Like the one in my home gym who claimed "the strength is all in your arms" when showing someone how to use a rowing machine, and who - when I saw him working out for the only time - spent probably a whole hour doing bicep exercises.
Gazcobain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chumbaniya)
So far I've only seen two PTs and they both do some sensible stuff - one at my old home gym who typically had clients do a lot of interval work on the rowing machines, and one at my uni gym who has his clients doing some circuit training doing a variety of barbell exercises with good form.

It's the gym instructors who are responsible for most of the bulls***. Like the one in my home gym who claimed "the strength is all in your arms" when showing someone how to use a rowing machine, and who - when I saw him working out for the only time - spent probably a whole hour doing bicep exercises.
Biceps get teh girls, though :lulz:
flugestuge
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ironmike)
That swiss ball squat is mental. Yes I agree, that is stupid.
That is pretty standard for personal trainer stupidity.
I see some amazingly dumb things being advised by the personal trainers at the gym I belong to. Their average IQ must be around 90.
lol_wut
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm an advanced PT, and the box stepup is actually a valid exercise. Lets say the client said she wanted to lose weight and tone her arms and backside area (pretty common). In order to maximise calorie burn, you want to perform compound exercises (work multiple joints). This is because the more muscles you are using, the more calories your body demands. With a lot of clients, time is of the essence too. Here, the PT can work the glutes and arms at the same time, therefore meaning more can be squeezed into the workout. To further this exercise, the client should be asked to stepup onto the box into a one leg squat whilst performing the curls one arm at a time. This will challenge the core too. Stepping up onto a bosu might be proposed if the client is advanced and has good stability.
in what sense does it 'work the glutes and arms'. there isn't enough resistance to cause strength or mass gains so what's the point? if you want to maximize calorie burn just spend 20 - 30 minutes doing intervals on the rower.

My gym has one proper squat rack. This girl who I occasionally see in the weights room (with some fiiiiiiiiine thick legs) is there with a personal trainer. I ask how many sets they have left, and the trainer is like "We just started" (and seems like a prick). I go outside to do some stretching. When I come back in they're doing power cleans in the squat rack :/ WTF?
he might be a ****, but at least he's doing cleans. have you seen the older pt in the iffley gym? makes his clients do completely random ****: five minutes on the rower, prone bridges, db bench for infinity reps on the swiss ball, and so on.
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lol_wut)
in what sense does it 'work the glutes and arms'. there isn't enough resistance to cause strength or mass gains so what's the point? if you want to maximize calorie burn just spend 20 - 30 minutes doing intervals on the rower.
This.

The exercise described doesn't offer a lot of resistance and can't be done at anywhere near the intensity you could get from interval training in terms of calorie burning.

Also, you started off talking quite rightly about compound exercises, but simply adding together two unrelated exercises (one of which is not a useful compound movement) doesn't give you some sort of turbocharged exercise, it gives you something that sounds exceedingly messy and prevents you from having any particularly great intensity in either component. If you want to recruit a lot of the body's muscle mass, do squats.
jackal441
Report 9 years ago
YES!!

i saw one PT making another guy bend his head down to his crotch in a pumping motion

from behind it looked like he was sucking himself off we quickly ran into the changing room to take videos on our phones
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why would you do box stepups with curls to work arms and glutes at the same time when you could just use a rowing machine to work both of those and more in a more natural, less silly manner which makes it easier to measure progression?
Barton1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
Why would you do box stepups with curls to work arms and glutes at the same time when you could just use a rowing machine to work both of those and more in a more natural, less silly manner which makes it easier to measure progression?
Because gym instructors and personal trainers wanna get paid for. IF you show some guy a rowing machine and say "look this is what you do", they'll think "im paying this guy to do something I already know about? Well that isnt new and cool"

But then if the PT is like "im going to show you a revolutionary excersise!!! It's performed by such famous people like ben affleck and brad pitt hu r hollywood stars!!! It's called...THE SWISS SQUAT!!!!"

"Holy **** i've never heard of that before! Wow this guy is good"

----

You see all these ******** excersises are just done to make people think there getting their moneys worth really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (38)
27.14%
No - I got the required grades (84)
60%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.86%

Watched Threads