Turn on thread page Beta

Sushi watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay I know how to make normal circle sushi with seaweed on the outside but I was wondering if anyone knew how to make the over kinds of sushi without the seaweed on the outside because everytime I try its like a rice explosion.

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard of a place called Yo Sushi? They have a book with loads of recipes and they tell you how to make sushi.

I don't really understand what you meant, though. Did you mean the cone shaped variety?

ReputationRep:
    you mean ISOs? Inside out rolls, with the rice on outside and seaweed inside + the ingredients?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I love yo sushi I didn't know they had a book.

I normally make the circular sushi like this:

but I want to know how to make sushi with the rice on the outside.

ReputationRep:
    a couple of reasons
    1. are you using japanese/short grain rice? long grain rice is too dry to use so wont stick
    2. are you using enough rice vinegar as each grain of rice once cooked should be coated in the stuff to ensure good sticking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yanyanyan)
    you mean ISOs? Inside out rolls, with the rice on outside and seaweed inside + the ingredients?
    yep everytime I try to make one it breaks apart. And I do use sushi rice and rice wine vinegar although admittedly cheap stuff from morrisons.

ReputationRep:
    Try laying out and pressing the rice onto a sheet of clingfilm and then use the clingfilm to roll it up. That should hold it together. I also find its good to completely chill the rice first. You can also use one of those sushi kits that have a bamboo rolling mat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiathesofa)
    yep everytime I try to make one it breaks apart. And I do use sushi rice and rice wine vinegar although admittedly cheap stuff from morrisons.
    If you can, get a small bag or a large one (quite costly) of Nishiki sushi/japanese rice. It works well. How do you prepare your rice?

If you cook the rice until it boils then cook it for about 10 minutes, turn the heat off and steam it for a further 10 minutes, before taking it out and cooling it as you add vinegar it works very well. You don't want to add too much vinegar, just so that the rice is shiny, not watery or soggy, otherwise it crumbles easily. The rice should be nice and fluffy.

As for doing the ISO, make sure you have cling film on the bamboo mat (if you don't have one already, get one! they prevent the roll from falling apart and shape very well), place the shiny side of nori down then place a layer of cooled down sushi rice, spread 1 - 1.5cm, don't press it down, otherwise the ISO will be too dense.

if you are serious you shouldnt bother cooking it yourself, buy a rice cooker which will cook it to perfection.

you can get authentic ingredients from
    http://www.japancentre.com./

they have a shop in piccadilly, and theres a sushi school somewhere.

http://www.sushi-courses.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    if you are serious you shouldnt bother cooking it yourself, buy a rice cooker which will cook it to perfection.
    You still need to let it sit for 10 minutes in its steam, after cooking for about 20 minutes, with or without rice cooker.

You still need to let it sit for 10 minutes in its steam, after cooking for about 20 minutes, with or without rice cooker.
    yes

ReputationRep:
    If you can, get a small bag or a large one (quite costly) of Nishiki sushi/japanese rice. It works well. How do you prepare your rice?

If you cook the rice until it boils then cook it for about 10 minutes, turn the heat off and steam it for a further 10 minutes, before taking it out and cooling it as you add vinegar it works very well. You don't want to add too much vinegar, just so that the rice is shiny, not watery or soggy, otherwise it crumbles easily. The rice should be nice and fluffy.

As for doing the ISO, make sure you have cling film on the bamboo mat (if you don't have one already, get one! they prevent the roll from falling apart and shape very well), place the shiny side of nori down then place a layer of cooled down sushi rice, spread 1 - 1.5cm, don't press it down, otherwise the ISO will be too dense.
    Maybe its that I don't let it cool down enough.

Mostly I boil the rice until the most of the water goes, drain it ( and before it burns) then put it in the fridge to cool. so the fact that I don't steam it as well might explain why it doesn't always work as well especially when I'm trying to make ISO.

(Original post by loafer)

you can get authentic ingredients from
    http://www.japancentre.com./

they have a shop in piccadilly, and theres a sushi school somewhere.

http://www.sushi-courses.co.uk/
    i'd love to get a rice cooker but it'll probably have to wait a while till I get more money. Are there any good cheap ones around?

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.