Extended Projects Watch

username271381
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Does anyone know anything about the Extended Projects offered in place of ASs? My college is offering four (Global Perspectives, Geographical Investigations, Social Science and a Science one) and I'm considering taking one. All I've been told is that they're worth the same as an AS in terms of UMS, and it's an independent piece of research on pretty much any topic within the project we choose to follow.

Are these new, or have they been around for a while and has anyone else taken one? Are they worth doing?
loveisjustasong
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Quail)
Does anyone know anything about the Extended Projects offered in place of ASs? My college is offering four (Global Perspectives, Geographical Investigations, Social Science and a Science one) and I'm considering taking one. All I've been told is that they're worth the same as an AS in terms of UMS, and it's an independent piece of research on pretty much any topic within the project we choose to follow.

Are these new, or have they been around for a while and has anyone else taken one? Are they worth doing?
They are considerably new, they're about a year old (I think). Yep, they're worth an AS level and some universities (like UCL) accept them in place of a fourth AS. My sixth form offers them but we can to them on any topic we want. I'm doing it now. You need to do primary research as well (for some titles) like interviewing a doctor or something. It's difficult as it's a 5000 word essay but I really enjoy my title. If you can cope with the load of another AS then do it, if you can't don't. Remember June exams are coming up soon so don't put extra strain on yourself if you can't handle it
loveisjustasong
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh and Russell group unis love the extended project!
User182034
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
DON'T DO IT!! Well obviously it's up to you and i suppose universities like them but i wish i'd just done an independent research project and told universities about that rather than take the actual qualification. I hate the way you have to write all your planning down in such a rigid way and you're obviously doing it to please the examiner. It's too much like an A level in my opinion because you have to stick to assessment objectives so much.
username271381
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by leala4628)
DON'T DO IT!! Well obviously it's up to you and i suppose universities like them but i wish i'd just done an independent research project and told universities about that rather than take the actual qualification. I hate the way you have to write all your planning down in such a rigid way and you're obviously doing it to please the examiner. It's too much like an A level in my opinion because you have to stick to assessment objectives so much.
What are the assessment objectives like? Do you have much freedom once you've chosen your topic, or is it sort of difficult because you're bound by all the boxes you have to tick, so to speak? And what do you do in the lessons? Hmm, the idea of explaining all the planning in painstaking detail reminds me a little too much of the horrendous coursework involved in Geography GCSE...
User182034
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Quail)
What are the assessment objectives like? Do you have much freedom once you've chosen your topic, or is it sort of difficult because you're bound by all the boxes you have to tick, so to speak? And what do you do in the lessons? Hmm, the idea of explaining all the planning in painstaking detail reminds me a little too much of the horrendous coursework involved in Geography GCSE...
I don't have lessons i just meet with my supervisor to check it's going okay every so often. They're marked mainly on the paperwork and evaluation of your work rather than the actual essay or project. You do have freedom in the actual essay but i don't think it's worth all the complying to paperwork etc! You have to show them you've developed skills etc by taking the qualification. My college made me put it on my cambridge application saying it would be good at interview but they never asked me about it as it would probably be too obvious that i'd prepared it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1385)
79.55%
Leave (356)
20.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed